The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2021, 09:14 AM   #1
Six862m6

Steering Column / Shaft Position

New question for those who might know.

While replacing my turn signal switch in my '68 GMC, I of course had the steering wheel off and the top part of the column apart. (Old turn signal switch still installed in pic)

I noticed this small line notched into the top of my steering column's shaft. Can anyone tell me if this is supposed to be the indicator for placing the shaft/steering gear in the dead center position? As in this line should be facing directly forward and then changing the toe on the front wheels to be straight/aligned with this position? Also I would then say that the steering wheel adapter would of course align with this so that where it says "top" would be at the top and the steering wheel centered as well.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2021, 10:34 AM   #2
Davidf

Re: Steering Column / Shaft Position

Generally, if all spliced parts of the steering shaft are in the correct position, then the notch should be straight up. If not, turn signal canceling can be off and steering box may not be centered. Most important is that the steering box is center when the truck is going straight down a level road. But, as you eluded, you can center the box via tie rods and have the steering wheel/shaft not centered. There should be a corresponding notch on the steering wheel (I think)
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:45 AM   #3
Six862m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
Generally, if all spliced parts of the steering shaft are in the correct position, then the notch should be straight up. If not, turn signal canceling can be off and steering box may not be centered. Most important is that the steering box is center when the truck is going straight down a level road. But, as you eluded, you can center the box via tie rods and have the steering wheel/shaft not centered. There should be a corresponding notch on the steering wheel (I think)
Gotcha. I think I just need to have my front wheels re-toed to when that notch is straight up. The truck is in the straight forward driving position as it is sitting in the picture. I've always noticed that the turn signal cancels a little too fast/easy when turning to the left I believe.... which would make sense given that the shaft is slightly to the left.

As for the steering wheel, I have an aftermarket wooden rim wheel installed. That adapter you see on the shaft/column in the picture is for positioning the wheel..... It believe it's meant for the "TOP" seen on that part/adapter to be aligned with the notch to make the steering wheel straight with the column shaft.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:04 PM   #4
Davidf

If the front end alignment is currently good, then no need to have it professionally aligned to center box/shaft. Simply rotate tie-rod couplings equal amounts on both sides so that wheels are moved in same direction. Steering wheel moves, but toe stays the same.

For instance if steering wheel is off to the left, then move wheels to the left equal amounts. Start with one full rotation of the tie rod couplers. Put tape around the tie rod up against edge of coupling…then you can easily see if you are rotating the coupling the proper direction.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:26 PM   #5
BigBird05

You should have a corresponding line on the steering wheel. That is so the man on the assembly line can put the steering wheel in the correct position.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:19 PM   #6
70STOVEBOLT

What if the column is not original to the truck? Does that matter, or were all steering shafts marked the same by a machine when the shaft was made? I never noticed a mark like that on my column, I will have to go look now.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:42 PM   #7
pjmoreland

Quote:
If the front end alignment is currently good, then no need to have it professionally aligned to center box/shaft. Simply rotate tie-rod couplings equal amounts on both sides so that wheels are moved in same direction. Steering wheel moves, but toe stays the same.
^^^this^^^

I have never had a professional alignment done where the steering wheel ended up straight to my obsessive level of satisfaction, so I always use the method described above to tweak it. I do this on all of my vehicles. Sometimes it takes as little as 1/6 of a turn on each tie-rod.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:28 PM   #8
BigBird05

They all should start out with that mark.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:35 AM   #9
Six862m6

Quote:

For instance if steering wheel is off to the left, then move wheels to the left equal amounts. Start with one full rotation of the tie rod couplers. Put tape around the tie rod up against edge of coupling…then you can easily see if you are rotating the coupling the proper direction.
Yea, that makes sense. I've never had the truck aligned in the 13 years I've owned it. I haven't noticed too much uneven wear on the tire treads though and it drives straight enough down the road.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:41 AM   #10
Six862m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
You should have a corresponding line on the steering wheel. That is so the man on the assembly line can put the steering wheel in the correct position.
As mentioned up above, I don't have the factory steering wheel. Picture attached of my current wheel. The second picture shows the adapter that this wheel uses. You can see the "TOP" mark on it.... Now that I know the notched line in the shaft is supposed to point straight up when the wheels are straight, I'm confident that "TOP" in this adapter is supposed to line up with the notched line, which in turn mounts the steering wheel in the correct position.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2021, 07:42 AM   #11
Six862m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
What if the column is not original to the truck? Does that matter, or were all steering shafts marked the same by a machine when the shaft was made? I never noticed a mark like that on my column, I will have to go look now.
That's a pretty good question..... In my particular case, I'm about 99% sure that my column is original.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:12 AM   #12
68 P.O.S.

http://www.powersteering.com/blog/20...x-is-on-center
Old 12-07-2021, 11:21 AM   #13
Six862m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
Nice info to check the gearbox when the column shaft is in the straight up position as well, thanks!
Old 12-07-2021, 11:25 AM   #14
70STOVEBOLT

Good info, thank you for posting it.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Old 12-08-2021, 08:49 PM   #15
70STOVEBOLT

Is the mark at 3 o’clock the one? If so, I need to make some adjustments… it’s actually at 6:30 the pic is sideways.
Attached Images

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Old 12-09-2021, 07:12 AM   #16
Six862m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
Is the mark at 3 o’clock the one? If so, I need to make some adjustments… it’s actually at 6:30 the pic is sideways.
Yes, that is the mark that I have been talking about anyway.