The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
J1MMY

A bunch of quick TBI conversion related questions ('79 C10)

Hello folks, I am just about to order up some hardware for my TBI 5.7 but I thought I would seek the benefit if your collective wisdom before I make any costly mistakes. I have a few quick(ish) questions:

1. Should I be looking for any specific headers or can I use any shorty headers made for TBI powered trucks? (Guessing 88-98) or do I have more options?

2. The engine originally had the following pulleys: air con, tensioner, alternator, power steering, crank, water pump and air pump. Air pump and air con have been removed. I guess because of the routing that I will need an idler to replace the air con? Or is there a combined idler/tensioner that I can use? That sure is a lot of bracketry and securing rods in there!

3. I am removing the 168 tooth flex plate so I can fit a 153 tooth flywheel which has come with the manual trans I have bought for the conversion. I see that the starter bolts up into the block - any recommendations on a good value starter? I don't really fancy spending 400 odd on something for the MSD sticker.

4. Can I use any valve cover that has 4no. Centre bolts?

5. Anything that I should consider hardware-wise? I think I'm good overall but always weary of being caught out by little things or not knowing crafty little tricks.

Oh, 6. Am I ok with van mounts on the truck perches?

Thank you and happy Easter to you all.
J1MMY is offline   Reply With Quote