The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
mikeandson

63 SM318 rebuild

I' m about to tear into the 3 speed for our 63 project. Need to know:

1. What's a good way to clean all the sludged gear oil out of it? Not planning on tearing it apart if I don't have to. Truck was last inspected in about 81.

2. If I have to rebuild it, where's a good, inexpensive place online to find a rebuild kit?

Thanks in advance for all the input.
mikeandson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: 63 SM318 rebuild

Honestly, shop around a bit, lots of times them ol peanut trannies can be found for cheep to free making a rebuild an exercise in futility. I gave away one locally this spring outta my 64 and as soon as Christmas rolls around I'll be givin away the one outta my 65 since I have the new T5 sittin on the dining room table ready to go.

If it runs and shifts and don't pop out of gear or otherwise spit out metal chunks, get it warm with a run, drain it, refill it with dino 80W90 and keep driving it for another 25 or so years.

But if yer just up in a project that ain't ready to run maybe just put in fresh oil to the fill hole, spin it a bit to get it wet then drain and refill after it gets run the first 100 miles or so.

Last edited by Sharps40; 10-18-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
mikeandson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
Honestly, shop around a bit, lots of times them ol peanut trannies can be found for cheep to free making a rebuild an exercise in futility. I gave away one locally this spring outta my 64 and as soon as Christmas rolls around I'll be givin away the one outta my 65 since I have the new T5 sittin on the dining room table ready to go.

If it runs and shifts and don't pop out of gear or otherwise spit out metal chunks, get it warm with a run, drain it, refill it with dino 80W90 and keep driving it for another 25 or so years.

But if yer just up in a project that ain't ready to run maybe just put in fresh oil to the fill hole, spin it a bit to get it wet then drain and refill after it gets run the first 100 miles or so.
Thanks for the reply. Honestly, that's what I thought about doing. And I considered just putting new 90# and hooking it up and driving it. Just didn't want to do damage that may not already be there. What about MMO mixed with 90# first and then drive it and drain it?

I just remember the stuff that looked like what is in my 2YO's diaper in the rear end diff. I can't imagine that in the tranny.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I think any 50 yr old trannie needs a certain amount of junk in its diaper to keep its lil cheeks stuck together.

Unless ya really believe ya need to overhaul it, I'd do a drain and refill and then again after warmin it up with a 100 mile pull. That should be clean enough. Any more scrubbing without a rebuild and that ol tranny might get diaper rash.

It'll prolly leak out the front slinger no matter what ya do....maybe start out with a cheep or used clutch.....
Old 10-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
mikeandson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
I think any 50 yr old trannie needs a certain amount of junk in its diaper to keep its lil cheeks stuck together.

Unless ya really believe ya need to overhaul it, I'd do a drain and refill and then again after warmin it up with a 100 mile pull. That should be clean enough. Any more scrubbing without a rebuild and that ol tranny might get diaper rash.

It'll prolly leak out the front slinger no matter what ya do....maybe start out with a cheep or used clutch.....
Lol! Thanks for the advice, i think i'll do that.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
mikeandson

I don't know if you can see the attached picture, the sliding gear has a lot of rust. It doesn't appear to have pitted, but it is chucks of rust. Should I still go with your previous recommendation and just grind it all up?
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
1963c-10

it take it to a machine shop and have them clean it. can normally be done for around $30. heat, pressure and chemicals will get the inside & outside done. then just paint and fill back up with fluid. i would flush it once, run it a 100 miles or so and change it again as rich said.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
mikeandson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
it take it to a machine shop and have them clean it. can normally be done for around $30. heat, pressure and chemicals will get the inside & outside done. then just paint and fill back up with fluid. i would flush it once, run it a 100 miles or so and change it again as rich said.
Would have been nice to know this was an option yesterday...lol...my son and I (primarily my son, his truck) spent several hours scraping the caked on grease and spraying with degreaser. before opening her up.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #9
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

That low/rev slider , will be the 1st thing to break in that trans....why not upgrade, even a Saginaw is a stouter trans? Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:02 AM   #10
Sharps40
Account Suspended

That's really not that bad inside for nearly 50. Well then....now ya got yer hands dirty, fill er up and go ride! That's what I'd do...but not everyone is so adventurous.....if yer really concerned about it, overhaul it. But, I'd bet it'll run okay as is, though a bit noisy.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
mikeandson

Thumbs up Re: 63 SM318 rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn View Post
That low/rev slider , will be the 1st thing to break in that trans....why not upgrade, even a Saginaw is a stouter trans? Longhorn
I agree a Saginaw would be better, especially since it's mating up to the original 283. But, we are on a budget and every penny counts. I think we will get her cleaned up and just see how she operates. If she is not up to the task, we'll swap it out for an upgrade.

Thanks for all the input!