The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2021, 11:54 PM   #1
LS short box

So portable generator tank spot rust

I have a WEN 2017 7 hp portable generator. It was a retirement gift four years ago.
I started it when I got it and then ran it out of gas. It has sat for the last four years. No gas in the tank. Today I took a look at inside the gas tank and it has rust spots inside the tank. Washed out tank with gas. Petcock was filled with rust specks. Petcock has a filter.
Tomorrow it goes to the local car was to get a real cleaning.
Any other thoughts on cleaning or sealing the tank.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:00 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: So portable generator tank spot rust

There is tank sealer I've mostly seen sold at motorcycle shops. It's a two part product.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:30 PM   #3
LS short box

Thanks for the tip. We have a local Harley shop. I will check with them tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:36 PM   #4
67C10Step

I used evaporust in an old motorcycle gas tank. When I sold the bike 15 years later it was still rust free.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 02:26 AM   #5
'63GENIII

X2 on the Evaporust. Not sure exactly what it does but on the pieces that I've used it on, the bare metal is not so quick to rust again.

Ive used a product called Kreem for the fat bobs on the shovelhead. Still ended up losing the tanks after the stuff started breaking down and flaking. By then they couldn't be brazed or welded either.

Id start with the Evaporust first. IIRC, its much less expensive as well

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:46 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
X2 on the Evaporust. Not sure exactly what it does but on the pieces that I've used it on, the bare metal is not so quick to rust again.

Ive used a product called Kreem for the fat bobs on the shovelhead. Still ended up losing the tanks after the stuff started breaking down and flaking. By then they couldn't be brazed or welded either.

Id start with the Evaporust first. IIRC, its much less expensive as well
That's it, Kreem. I have had great results from it, but now that Chris mentions it I have heard of some having issues with it failing. Not sure what went differently but as far as tank "coatings" go, that is what I use. It comes 2-part and as I recall the first step is to clean/prep/etch.

my first thought was arrest the rust and you should be fine. I'd only be concerned with coating is the rust had gotten pretty bad, like seriously pitted. Keep a tank topped off while sitting and there will be no cause for rust

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:38 AM   #7
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That's it, Kreem. I have had great results from it, but now that Chris mentions it I have heard of some having issues with it failing. Not sure what went differently but as far as tank "coatings" go, that is what I use. It comes 2-part and as I recall the first step is to clean/prep/etch.

my first thought was arrest the rust and you should be fine. I'd only be concerned with coating is the rust had gotten pretty bad, like seriously pitted. Keep a tank topped off while sitting and there will be no cause for rust
To be fair Tim, when I used it, it was on a set of bobs that were already painted and they had a slight crack (like everything else on a Shovel). I was much younger and probably didn't even consider looking at the directions. As with everything, the prep work is key and that was likely where reading the directions would have helped.

The Evaporust was recommended to me once and I gave it a try. It worked fantastic for light surface rust and gave the parts I used it on an almost phosphorous coating. Its weird but I haven't had an part that Ive used the stuff on start to rust after. Its reusable, supposedly non toxic and doesn't seem to mess with my skin. I now keep a gallon around for nuts, bolts ect. Even used on the gas tank for the boy's gas bike chopper.

Your idea of keeping the tank full once the rust is removed though, that's really the ticket.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:56 PM   #8
Dead Parrot

If the petcock filter is the only one on the generator rig, add an inline filter just to be sure. They make small ones that fit those small lines. Better a plugged filter then a plugged carb.

Modern gas sucks for long term storage. If you can get some real kerosene, put a little in the tank when you store it. A pint or so is enough. When you fill the tank prior to using the generator, the kerosene will be diluted enough it will just get burned up with the gas. Keep the generator gas in a separate tank/can that you can empty into a vehicle every year or so and replace with fresh gas.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:08 PM   #9
LT7A

X2 on keeping the tank topped up and being careful what gas you put in it. I would recommend E0. I also use stabil 360 in my vehicles that don't get constant use, because the vapor protects the unsubmerged part of the tank.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:49 PM   #10
LS short box

It's a amazing. I cleaned the tank. Car wash guy gave me a couple of looks. Cleaned the petcock and filter. Cleaned the carb. Replaced the fuel line. It started on the first pull. Tomorrow I will take it outside and let it run awhile. I added stabil to the gas. I am going to add a filter before the carb. Thinking the carb might be toast even after cleaning I went on the WEN web site and a complete carb is $45. Might buy one just in case.
It's been kind of a fun project. Now back to the Camaro.