The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
CoachH

Keep the original gas tank?

We are working on a 1954 Chevy truck / s10 swap. We are also rebuilding a new engine (350). As you can imagine the cost is growing at each step! We are trying to decide if we keep the existing gas tank and leave it behind the seat (its a new tank) or dump some more money into a tank underneath the bed.

Has anyone keep the original tank in their restore and not regretted it??

Thoughts...
CoachH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
mick53

Re: Keep the original gas tank?

I'm keeping my original tank location. I'ts the safest place. I also need the spare tire location. I don't want the fender mount spare tire and do not want to run without a spare. In some states a spare tire is required. I'm going to have a fuel cell made to fit behind the seat with duel fuel compartments for a short run down the strip.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #3
Bimus

I like the tank behind the seat it is higher then in the frame and fuel is free flowing to the fuel pump .
Bimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

im on the opposite side...I don't want a gas bomb in the cab with me...mines going under the bed...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #5
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
I'm keeping my original tank location. It's the safest place...

No, it REALLY isn't.

Years ago I remember seeing a story on "60 Minutes" about the in-cab tanks. Over decades the rubber hose between the tank neck and the neck on the body becomes very hard & brittle. In even a relatively mild accident, the tank is jarred and the tube doesn't just tear, it shatters and gasoline is sprayed around the cab.

Back in those days - 1970's - these trucks were still in common use as daily drivers with people smoking, etc. they told the story of people getting severely burned/killed.

I totally get the value of having the spare the original location. In mine, I'm just going to carry some Fix-A-Flat. Not a great solution but better than a tragedy.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-10-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #6
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
No, it REALLY isn't.

Years ago I remember seeing a story on "60 Minutes" about the in-cab tanks. Over decades the rubber hose between the tank neck and the neck on the body becomes very hard & brittle. In even a relatively mild accident, the tank is jarred and the tube doesn't just tear, it shatters and gasoline is sprayed around the cab.

Back in those days - 1970's - these trucks were still in common use as daily drivers with people smoking, etc. they told the story of people getting severely burned/killed.

I totally get the value of having the spare the original location. In mine, I'm just going to carry some Fix-A-Flat. Not a great solution but better than a tragedy.
I think you would be hard pressed to find any documented reports of AD truck tanks in proper working order that have burned people. The seat frame itself is somewhat of a roll cage. There is a lot of threads on the stovebolt about this. In the end it's what you want. Some people even put their battery under the hood. I'm putting 2 batteries under the floor.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #7
OL SKOOL

That 60 min deal was on squares with saddle tanks. That was finally called b.s. when GM investigated it. The story is on utube. I see these guys putting their tanks in the back taking out the rear crossmember to make them fit? So in a rear end crash all you have is a cheesy bumper protecting the tank from impact no thanks. Chances of getting rear ended anymore is pretty high when they run 6 inches off your bumper!
OL SKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #8
MiraclePieCo

The center of the vehicle is the most protected location in an impact from any direction.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:15 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL SKOOL View Post
That 60 min deal was on squares with saddle tanks. That was finally called b.s. when GM investigated it. The story is on utube. I see these guys putting their tanks in the back taking out the rear crossmember to make them fit? So in a rear end crash all you have is a cheesy bumper protecting the tank from impact no thanks. Chances of getting rear ended anymore is pretty high when they run 6 inches off your bumper!
Nope. That was a separate story. I know which story you're talking about and you're right. A producer rigged it to make an explosion.

I'm talking about the Task Force trucks. The AD's that had the saddle tanks were very protected. But (I THINK?) that worked because they came with a straight six cylinder and the exhaust ran back on the opposite side of where they placed the tank.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:17 PM   #10
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL SKOOL View Post
... I see these guys putting their tanks in the back taking out the rear crossmember to make them fit? So in a rear end crash all you have is a cheesy bumper protecting the tank from impact no thanks. Chances of getting rear ended anymore is pretty high when they run 6 inches off your bumper!
I moved the last cross member to behind the tank. You have to. Without a cross member back there the leaf springs/shackles put too much force on the frame rails and they deflect. I am also going to add a 2"x2" bar to function as a receiver hitch - even though I don't really intend to tow anything with it.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:45 AM   #11
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
im on the opposite side...I don't want a gas bomb in the cab with me...mines going under the bed...
Same here and in every truck with a tank behind the seat I have driven you smell gas on hot days as the tank vents though the cap right next to the open window. I've seen a good number of behind the seat tanks leak too so the "safer or safest" spot is total nonsense.

On the fuel cell thing. I think you will find that will not pass tech at any drag strip with the cell inside the passenger compartment. Stock gas tank maybe but not a fuel cell as you have then moved to a different level.You would have to have a firewall between the cell and the rest of the passenger compartment to pass tech.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 03-11-2019 at 12:52 AM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:12 AM   #12
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Same here and in every truck with a tank behind the seat I have driven you smell gas on hot days as the tank vents though the cap right next to the open window. I've seen a good number of behind the seat tanks leak too so the "safer or safest" spot is total nonsense.

On the fuel cell thing. I think you will find that will not pass tech at any drag strip with the cell inside the passenger compartment. Stock gas tank maybe but not a fuel cell as you have then moved to a different level.You would have to have a firewall between the cell and the rest of the passenger compartment to pass tech.
I bought my truck in 1980 in the so-cal desert and never had any smell of gas. It was my daily driver for 9 years. I think the key is "properly maintained". To each his own, it's your truck enjoy it. For me the thought of leaving my truck on the side of the road due to a flat tire is unbearable.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:33 AM   #13
joedoh

if its an s10 frame why not use the stock s10 saddle tank? and you can even keep the spare in the rear location if you want.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #14
mikebte

I kept my tank in cab. Wishing I had moved it to under the frame as all my new interior now smells of gas due to a fuel leak I had sing up on a rubber hose. I have fuel injection so a return hose was ran into the cab.
I will relocate in the future.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:05 AM   #15
dsraven

i'm on the "get the fuel out of the cab" side of the fence. I have been around lots of these and other old trucks with the tank in the cab. they usually smell like old gas inside. read the label on any fuel pump at any fuel filling location and it will say something about the vapors being cancer causing. the tank needs to vent and it is the cap doing that for you right outside the window. there are multiple places for a leak to happen. if it is an s10 frame swap then why not just use the stock s10 tank and be done. the tank also comes with a built in fuel pump. the stock tire location is still available then as well. sure, you will need to fab a fuel filler. just like jodoh says and he should know, it's like a job for him, building AD trucks sitting on s10 frames. he has it down to a science and knows what works and what doesn't.
your truck and your decision so you do what you want. be safe though and think about future changes and what you may want down the road.
safest place for a tank, in my opinion, is mid-frame on the inside of the frame rail. can't be all bad if a lot of newer trucks are built that way. safe from front or rear impact and also pretty safe from side impact on the side the tank sits on. I am sure there is a youtube out there that will contradict, there always is. yes, you will have to do some different things for cross members and exhaust routing and also fab a tank filling method but still, likely the safest option and you can still run it down the track if you want to.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #16
57tailgater

This seems to be a question where you have advocates for both sides. Either way, it needs to be done as safe as possible. When I get to the point I am thinking of sealing and enclosing the area my '57's stock tank is in and venting it separately than the fuel vent. Not much different than what a guy building an early '30's coupe/roadster or muscle car guy does when putting the tank in the trunk. I am not a fan of tanks clear at the back of a truck as that seems to be a first place for damage in a rear ender. Side tanks seem hard to find a place and tank to fit. I have considered a larger Moon style tank in the front of the bed. Not a fan of filling over the bed side and taking up bed space tho but the jury is still out on that one.
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #17
bosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I moved the last cross member to behind the tank. You have to. Without a cross member back there the leaf springs/shackles put too much force on the frame rails and they deflect. I am also going to add a 2"x2" bar to function as a receiver hitch - even though I don't really intend to tow anything with it.
Opted to move mine to the back. We kept the cross members in tact and fit a mustang tank nicely between the rails. I like the added cargo space as well. As for a spare tire, I am carrying fix-a-flat and a compressor. Also have my AAA card if needed.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #18
MidLifer

I went with a 47-48 tank (also the Suburban tank from 47-53). It sits inside the frame rail and the filler comes out the side of the bed under the bed floor.

Jim Carter's sells a whole kit for about $500. Unfortunately it seems to be currently on backorder.
Attached Images

MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:14 AM   #19
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
....As for a spare tire, I am carrying fix-a-flat and a compressor. Also have my AAA card if needed.
Yup, me too. I'll NEVER leave my truck on the side of the road with a flat.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:48 AM   #20
MiraclePieCo

I really like the '47-style side tank (also panel truck). Unfortunately my triangulated 4-link interferes with where my original side tank mounted so I had to relocate it to the rear. Plus those reproduction side tanks are expensive!
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 03-13-2019 at 02:50 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #21
57tailgater

MidLifer that's a pretty cool option. I know they had a similar setup for the TF Suburbans too. I'd prefer a driver's side fill tho. Be nice to use an original TF fill in combination with a side rail tank but one would probably have to be careful if running dual exhaust. Neat idea.
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote