The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2021, 09:08 PM   #1
Steveoreno

Can anyone identify this truck?

A number of years ago I set out to build the best factory equipped, best restored 66 C-10 SWB in the world just for the sake of doing it. With two kids in medical school I knew that I would not be able to afford to keep it so it was a given that the truck would be sold after completion. I worked for three years doing a full nut and bolt with an open wallet. I ended up with a really REALLY nice truck that I sold to a collector without ever having had the opportunity to even drive it. I have seen it from time to time as it made its way from collectors to dealers and did my best to passively watch for it, knowing that it will probably be the best restoration of my lifetime. The truck was last seen at Volo Cars...here is a link...https://www.volocars.com/vehicles/14...let-c10-custom . About a week ago I saw a posting on eBay for 66 C10 parts and they had inserted the pictures shown herein. I could be mistaken but the totaled truck looks exactly like the 66 I restored, right down to the air conditioning decal in the back window. I have emailed them for more information but they are not helping outside of saying that the truck had been stripped of all usable parts and then sent to the crusher. The parts they obtained will be "going into a restoration in their shop". They will not look at my restored truck pictures and confirm or deny anything...and I really don't believe that they ever had the truck, just the pictures they posted. If anyone knows the story about the damaged truck I would like to know....it sickens me to think that the truck I restored may no longer be out there....like loosing a kid (almost). The last I understood was Volo Cars sold it to a buyer in Nevada but I could be wrong. I hope the pictures are attached (my first time). Thanks so much all...means a lot to me. -Steve-
Attached Images

Steveoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:45 PM   #2
AcampoDave

Re: Can anyone identify this truck?

Wow, what a sad ending to a great story. One thing I notice in the picture is the truck has aftermarket stainless steel bed chain, hooks, and latches. It also has the stainless pivot ball which is sold seperately.
I actually just bought some of those for my own truck from Classic Industries so I think I recognize them. The catalog I ordered them from listed zinc plated as being stock. I don't know if that helps, but did you use the stainless ones on the resto job? If not, I don't know if it would be too likely for someone to change those out if you had initially installed zinc plated.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:34 AM   #3
Steveoreno

Thanks for that...I could not tell by the eBay pictures if stainless was used. I used zinc on the restoration and agree, no one would change out the tailgate chains.....if the eBay truck has stainless that would be a good sign. I also am not sure if there is a passenger mirror on the eBay truck....resolution is bad. Mine had a mirror on each side when it left my shop.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:43 AM   #4
Mack B

The exhaust pipe exit is different between the truck in the link you posted and the crashed truck.
Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:52 AM   #5
Steveoreno

Good point, and the rear license plate bracket is missing....man I am feeling better about this. Still sucks to see a nice 66 with that level of damage but feeling a lot of weight off of my shoulders already. Thx -Steve-
Old 07-29-2021, 09:13 AM   #6
AcampoDave

I missed the link in your first post until now, but it seems that you had more of a shaded strip on the top of the windshield. The wreck seems to lack that.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote