The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2022, 10:00 AM   #1
mike1971c10

YOM tags

This has probably been done before but I thought it would work again. I was reading a post from one of the guys there in Arizona and he had year of manufacture tags on his truck. My question is do all the states allow YOM tags? I have them on my '71 and antique tags on my '69. What do you guys use?
Also the tags still have the '71 and '72 sticker still on

mike
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2022, 10:11 AM   #2
tutone

Re: YOM tags

Legally in KY you have to have it registered as a "historic vehicle" and then you have to have those tags with you at all times. Also they tell you that you need to be traveling to or from a show with that type of registration. I have my 55 registered with a 55 plate on it. I've never had a problem with the law in our state as far as where I was headed. My pickup is normally registered so I am gonna put one in the front bed panel in a frame from the dealership that it was bought new. That is, if I can find one.
Attached Images

1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:22 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

They are legal in Maryland. My '72 is registered historic and I have a set of YOM farm truck tags for it. '71 was the last year annual tag before stickers. So it's stamped 71 with a 72 sticker in the box. '75 was the last year, so most have that sticker. I ran mine through and they are registered to my truck. But I only put them on for special occasions. They were N.O.S. and I want to keep them nice. I also like to run around a lot in my truck and the '72 tag stands out like a sore thumb. No need to draw attention.

I have a set of truck tags for my '67, too, some day.

What's funny is I've been around a while. I had an '85 Jimmy for about 5 years. sold it about 5 years ago. I'm moving things around and I come across a set of historic tags with '85 stickers from something I had back then. I could have run those all that time. I'd like to find a set of historic tags from '67. That would have been '42-earlier back then

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:24 AM   #4
Grumpy old man

I found this one off Craigslist in Bristol, Tn A few years back . Tn is a one plate state , I'll be using it on my 67 short bed
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 07-26-2022 at 10:31 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:51 AM   #5
Jason Banks

Texas makes it easy. I have YOM on both of my trucks. They do inspect the old plated to see if they are in good condition. Some offices are more picky than others about the condition of the plate. You can register as a 'classic' where you have to get it inspected every year like a regular truck, or an antique where there is no inspection and the registration is good for a few years, but you can't daily drive it.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 11:15 AM   #6
chevmn

In MO 25 years or older can register as historic vehicle, and you can register year of mfg plates, you just have to send a photo of the plate(s), or show to DOR when registering. The part I like, no yearly inspection, and it is a one time $25 fee, then you just need to keep a log of miles driven (few bother and I do not believe it is enforced very actively). Supposedly only drive to events, maintenance type driving, then you can drive a few miles otherwise (did I mention I do not believe it is enforced actively). Oh, and keep minimum liability coverage while driving.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 02:05 PM   #7
cwcarpenter98

It's easy in GA. One form to fill out that links your YOM tag to your modern tag. You do have to keep the modern tag in the vehicle with the filled out form. You are not required to have historical registration, so my truck is registered as a normal vehicle. I daily drive it enough to make the historical registration not worth the restrictions

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 02:33 PM   #8
sick472

chevmn has it noted well for Missouri, but I think there is a 1000 mile per year limit. Either way, I don't mess with them for any of my 3 vehicles. Call me paranoid, but I'd hate for the one time that the plate laws would be enforced would be after I need to make an insurance claim and they discover I have not kept my log book or exceeded my mileage. Insurance is much cheaper for a historic plated vehicle and they would have a lot to gain if I totaled one and "forgot" to log my miles that day/year. I tend to put at least 2000 miles on each just driving them to work on nice days or to visit friends and family. Those plates just don't fit my needs. They are well suited for show cars and parade rides, not for moderate routine use.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 03:51 PM   #9
'68OrangeSunshine

In Arizona, once you register your YOM plate to the vehicle at the MVD, that is the legal plate. There is no Real Plate to show officars.
Just you have to have Collector Car Insurance. Mine's with Hagerty.
There are no restrictions to mileage, no requirement to be on the way to a carshow, or Fourth of July Parade.
I have an actual 71 sticker in the upper right corner. That's where the current sticker should go. I put the current JUN 24 sticker in the upper left corner, to keep the 71. Most cops are OK with that.
The only time I was stopped by TPD was a Sunday night, pre-Covid. A newer vehicle -- I didn't know the local pd was using Ford Explorers -- tracked me for a few blocks, then flashed the Red and Blues.
A young woman cop asked for my License, Registration and Proof Of Insurance.
I asked why I'd been stopped. She said my lights on the license plate were out.
Then a sergeant came up to me and asked how she had done. He was the training officer. I said she was OK, except her habit of resting one hand on the butt of her Taser pistol made me nervous. I explained the YOM plates. They thought they were from New Mexico. Those are Red letters on Yellow, AZ '71 was Black letters on Yellow.
Since then the cops have left me alone.
The black letters are fading from my 51 year old plate. I may have to repaint the black parts. Not sure of the legalities of that.

Attached Images

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:32 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
chevmn has it noted well for Missouri, but I think there is a 1000 mile per year limit. Either way, I don't mess with them for any of my 3 vehicles. Call me paranoid, but I'd hate for the one time that the plate laws would be enforced would be after I need to make an insurance claim and they discover I have not kept my log book or exceeded my mileage. Insurance is much cheaper for a historic plated vehicle and they would have a lot to gain if I totaled one and "forgot" to log my miles that day/year. I tend to put at least 2000 miles on each just driving them to work on nice days or to visit friends and family. Those plates just don't fit my needs. They are well suited for show cars and parade rides, not for moderate routine use.
You have to keep a log? You have a maximum number of miles per year you can drive? I wouldn't bother with historic plates either. It's not like that here and use is not clearly defined. They give car shows and parades as examples of proper use, but not limited to. The only specific no-nos are commercial use, drive to work, drive to school, regular use to transport passengers, and the rest is covered by not regular use. Mine sits all winter and it's not my daily driver.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 07-27-2022 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:54 PM   #11
tutone

No logs in KY unless your insurance requires it. The statute states "primarily" as a precurser to car shows and parades and such. That gives some leadway for pleasure cruises. If they started hounding us, I would just license it as a regular vehicle.
Attached Images

1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 06:36 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Me too. I understand we are being given a special registration for a vehicle not intended to be used as a daily driver, a specialty vehicle. The special registration and insurance makes it more fair by not charging for the added risk of daily driving and high volume high risk driving situations. But to dictate just how we are to go about enjoying our pleasure vehicle is ridiculous. I've always owned classics all my life. Many I had to register and insure as regular drivers due to no garage or not quite old enough. I'd pay just as much as others to only drive for pleasure in the good weather months and let it sit all winter with no use. They wouldn't give full coverage for a vehicle over 5 years old for most of my years driving, except historic insurance for less than the liability I was paying for. No theft insurance, no comprehensive or collision. I reserve the right to determine how I'll go about enjoying my historic vehicle as long as I'm within the guidelines.

Tim

Old 07-27-2022, 08:08 AM   #13
sick472

Here's the basics for Missouri...

"A vehicle that is registered as a historic vehicle may be driven:

1.) To and from exhibitions and educational events without any mileage limitation;
2.) To repair facilities within a 100 mile limit; and
3.) Up to 1,000 miles per year for personal use.

The owner is responsible for keeping a log of the miles driven for personal use each calendar year. The log must be kept in the vehicle when the vehicle is being driven on any state road.
"

From here...

https://dor.mo.gov/motor-vehicle/historic-plates.html

I have never heard of any of this being enforced, but, like I said, I would hate to hear of it after an accident and be out my classic all for some minor taxes and the hassle of inspections.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:05 AM   #14
Lee H

California has a YOM program for 1969 and earlier cars, and 72 or earlier trucks. Here's some of the high lites. Must be 2 original plates, must be in good condition, not restored. Must be clear, meaning they are not currently registered to a vehicle. (If they were ever registered and not specifically intentionally unregistered they are not clear). They take the place of the plate currently assigned. Once you call a number and confirm the plates are clear you fill out an application and send it in with the plates and months later you get the plates back with new registration and tags to put on the plates and you're good to go. Or you get denied. Nice cleared plates have sky rocketed in price since this went into effect.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703

Last edited by Lee H; 07-27-2022 at 09:11 AM.
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:09 AM   #15
Keith Seymore

For Michigan:

$35, paid one time (non expiring). Not for "routine transportation".

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:48 AM   #16
72c20customcamper

NY charges you a $25 pre year fee on top of the regular registration in perpetuity to have YOM plates they treat it like a vanity plate . No way will I do that .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:19 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Maryland also has a permanent historic registration for vehicles 50 years plus. I can now put those on my '72 if I wanted

Tim

Old 07-28-2022, 11:19 AM   #18
KWC1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
Texas makes it easy. I have YOM on both of my trucks. They do inspect the old plated to see if they are in good condition. Some offices are more picky than others about the condition of the plate. You can register as a 'classic' where you have to get it inspected every year like a regular truck, or an antique where there is no inspection and the registration is good for a few years, but you can't daily drive it.

Yep...me, too. 1969 Texas Truck plates (pristine condition I might add). Registered Antique. And yes, there are "Antique" restrictions but, the few times I drive it is going to a shop, or home a shop.

Do two rolling classic / antique cars constitute a parade? LOL!
KWC1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:15 PM   #19
chevmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
Here's the basics for Missouri...

"A vehicle that is registered as a historic vehicle may be driven:

1.) To and from exhibitions and educational events without any mileage limitation;
2.) To repair facilities within a 100 mile limit; and
3.) Up to 1,000 miles per year for personal use.

The owner is responsible for keeping a log of the miles driven for personal use each calendar year. The log must be kept in the vehicle when the vehicle is being driven on any state road.
"

From here...

https://dor.mo.gov/motor-vehicle/historic-plates.html

I have never heard of any of this being enforced, but, like I said, I would hate to hear of it after an accident and be out my classic all for some minor taxes and the hassle of inspections.
Since I only carry liability coverage at this point, I figure if I am in an accident I am out anyhow, so I take the risk. I am going to be putting one on the road in the next year or so where I have a lot more invested, so I may decide to revisit insurance coverage. But, I have never heard good reports where someone loses one of these and comes out.....insurance companies usually will fight tooth and nail to not pay out, so I will likely just liability cover it and take my chances.
And don't get me started on the yearly personal property taxes......
Old 07-28-2022, 12:27 PM   #20
geunther

Wyoming is a no. Dangit
geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:32 PM   #21
chevmn

Another thing in MO I discovered.... YOM plate does not have to be a truck plate, but it cannot be a motorcycle, bus, trailer etc. Car plates or truck can be registered to a truck, and I have a car plate registered to one of my trucks. And, color is not a concern, DOR told me I could repaint original plates, or buy a plate, as long as the plate number does not conflict with one already issued, year is correct, and a motorcycle, bus, trailer, etc is not displayed on a truck, etc. Just fyi for someone in MO, and assuming they have not changed the rules.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:01 PM   #22
tim71

Indiana...to use and register YOM plates you must bring an original Indiana plate to BMV so they can physically inspect it. Then you must purchase an Indiana historic plate that your YOM plate ties to. You must keep the Indiana historic plate somewhere in your vehicle. Indiana won't let you renew your YOM plate online, you have to go to the BMV every year. Annual cost approx $90.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2022, 03:35 PM   #23
leddzepp

Been on the truck 54 years, no YOM nonsense just continued registration since day 1.
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:48 PM   #24
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Here in the GWN not sure of other Provinces rules but in Saskatchewan you can use YOM Plates and I did that last year. They have to verify your original plate is legit, I think I sent ina picture of it, and then u buy a personalized new style plate, 75.00 or so, with the same numbers and are supposed to keep the new style plate in the vehicle with you. They send u a letter on their letterhead stating the plate is legal and can be used and I also keep that letter in the plastic bag with the new style plate as some LEO's are not aware of all the laws and is especially handy if traveling outside Saskatchewan with the truck. I dont have pic of the plate on the truck yet but this is the one I'm using.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:20 AM   #25
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Mississippi is 25 yrs and older for antique tags. No mileage or other limitations with them. I am not sure what the rules are for YOM tags. It never has interested me, so never dug that deep into it. I would imagine it would fall under our personalized tag rules. My 70 has the antique truck tags.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote