The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2022, 10:55 AM   #1
cgster

Old Air Breather base plate to fit Edelbrock carb

Going back with a 327 in my truck but will be going with an edelbrock 4 barrel carb. From what I understand, the edelbrock has a 5 1/8 neck but the opening on the old air breather only has a 4 7/32 hole. Is there a base plate I can buy that will still work with the air breather top and also big enough to fit carb neck?
cgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 11:08 AM   #2
Ironhorse

Re: Old Air Breather base plate to fit Edelbrock carb

What year is your truck, original 327 engine to that truck? Maybe there was an engine transplant at one point in your truck's life? Sounds like you may have a breather and carb for the Rochester 4-Jet. Believe those carbs with the smaller air horn throat ran from the early or mid 50s to 66 or 67. Not sure if the later Rochester Quadra-jet or Carter AFB top will fit the 4-Jet base. Either the Q-jet or the AFB would be a better carb to use but neither will be a direct fit to your stock intake manifold. May be able to find an adapter to make it happen but think you would be better off to change the intake at that point.

Maybe someone else may have some other or better info. Good luck.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 11:20 AM   #3
cgster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
What year is your truck, original 327 engine to that truck? Maybe there was an engine transplant at one point in your truck's life? Sounds like you may have a breather and carb for the Rochester 4-Jet. Believe those carbs with the smaller air horn throat ran from the early or mid 50s to 66 or 67. Not sure if the later Rochester Quadra-jet or Carter AFB top will fit the 4-Jet base. Either the Q-jet or the AFB would be a better carb to use but neither will be a direct fit to your stock intake manifold. May be able to find an adapter to make it happen but think you would be better off to change the intake at that point.

Maybe someone else may have some other or better info. Good luck.
My truck is a 67. It originally came with a 327 that was no longer there when I bought the truck. Im going with a 67 camaro 327 engine (it no longer has the carb but pretty sure it was originally a 2 barrel) and the breather is from a 1965 Chevy Impala 4 barrel. I think the breather is pretty much the same that came on the trucks in 67 that had a 327.
Im assuming the carb that came on the impala and the trucks had the 4 7/32 necks while newer carbs have 5 1/8 necks.
I have no problem going back with an older carter carb with smaller neck, I just don't know much about them and was hoping I could just use a bigger base plate that would work with old air breather and edelbrock carb.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:57 AM   #4
Ironhorse

With your truck being a 67 that was the last year that GM used the 4-Jet carb in 250hp/327 trucks. GM switched to the Q-jet in 68. With the breather coming from a 65 Impala it is possible that either the 4-Jet or the Q-Jet carb was used for that application. The 4-Jet was used with the 250 hp 327, the larger Carter AFB was used with the 300 hp 327 engine. Years ago I had a 65 Impala SS 300hp/327 4 spd and it was a great running car. Too bad I was young and didn't know what I had and sold it to which I regret to this day. Your 67 Camaro engine also may be of the 250 hp 327 variety. Locate the numbers on the passenger side pad just below the valve head and Google the numbers located there. Those numbers will tell you what engine/transmission combo the Camaro had. From that you can figure what carb and intake you have.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:15 PM   #5
72SB

If your top half breather for air cleaner is a 14", than just get a round 14" air cleaner for the carb and use the base with the lid/snorkel from the Impala

When I bought my Edelbrock for my 67 327 from Jegs it came bundled with a 14" air cleaner from Edelbrock also. My 327 was the 2 brl/210hp one I put the Eddy Performer intake on
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:20 PM   #6
Ironangel

This might help? https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-641.../dp/B000BWAPS4 and this is a direct fit, probably the better choice and is reasonably priced as well. https://www.obrientruckers.com/4-7-3...8-adapter.html
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"

Last edited by Ironangel; 11-26-2022 at 12:26 PM.
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:52 PM   #7
cgster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SB View Post
If your top half breather for air cleaner is a 14", than just get a round 14" air cleaner for the carb and use the base with the lid/snorkel from the Impala

When I bought my Edelbrock for my 67 327 from Jegs it came bundled with a 14" air cleaner from Edelbrock also. My 327 was the 2 brl/210hp one I put the Eddy Performer intake on
Thanks, Im thinking the air cleaner is 15" instead of 14" but will need to measure it to be sure.
Old 11-26-2022, 12:56 PM   #8
cgster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
This might help? https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-641.../dp/B000BWAPS4 and this is a direct fit, probably the better choice and is reasonably priced as well. https://www.obrientruckers.com/4-7-3...8-adapter.html
Ironangel, I saw those when I was searching. I think those adapters are if you are trying to fit and older style carb neck to a newer style air breather.
Im trying to do the opposite, fit newer carb to old/oem air breather.

Could I just flip one of the adapters over and use it that way and it would work....I don't know.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:52 PM   #9
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgster View Post
Ironangel, I saw those when I was searching. I think those adapters are if you are trying to fit and older style carb neck to a newer style air breather.
Im trying to do the opposite, fit newer carb to old/oem air breather.

Could I just flip one of the adapters over and use it that way and it would work....I don't know.
It's only upside down if you tell it it's upside down, so shush! Flipin the adapter is easier than flipin the motor so yes, it will work or I owe you a 12-pack of Platinum Beer! Cheers!
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
Old 11-26-2022, 02:04 PM   #10
geezer#99

I think you’re buying him some beer!
It doesn’t just flip over. Choke air horn is in the way.

Been there, tried that!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 03:20 PM   #11
72SB

if the current air cleaner base opening is too small, maybe it could be cut open enough to fit the new carb. May need a spacer like those in the Amazon link so old base clears new carb linkage but one thing for certain is the original lid/snorkel would still fit the base

or cut the circumference from an Eddy 14" round base and cut the stock air cleaner base to then weld or rivet in the Eddy donor.

I think with some improvising, and paint after...you would not even know the base was altered without taking the air cleaner off.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:52 AM   #12
NGN

Does Edeibrock make the base for your carb that can be match to your original lid/snorkel. I measured my lid at just shy of 15 inches outer, base at 15 and 1/8, carb opening 4 1/4 for a four barrel Rochester carb. I was told it was an original 327 motor out of 67 truck when purchased. It's been awhile but if I recall the block numbers said something and to my surprise the block was used in 67 truck and 67 Camaro. It's almost 4am in the morning I hope I'm not sleep texting lol. I got pics on my cell not sure how to get them on here but trying.
NGN
Nick
NGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 04:31 PM   #13
72SB

I think a 14" Edelbrock round air cleaner base would work with a stock 15" lid. Just run a 15" filter element as it would just overhang the base by 1/2" all the way around but the top stock lid would basically cover it or just run a 14" filter
Old 11-28-2022, 01:18 AM   #14
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
I think you’re buying him some beer!
It doesn’t just flip over. Choke air horn is in the way.

Been there, tried that!
Your right, I keep thinking 4G carb and 5-1/8 breather...I owe that man a 12 pack of Bud's finest!
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage