The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2024, 10:33 AM   #1
jdime20

Bed/cab/bumper issues

67 short fleetside, wood floor. Cab forward is original sheet metal, i have a new bed from Woodall. Very happy with the besides, all seems to be great quality and is the only aftermarket anything I've found that actually fits correct. My issue is when I put it together and get it on the truck it's exactly 3/4" high using the body line as a guage. I used a laser to broadcast a perfect line and everything is straight, just the bed body line is 3/4" higher. I have new poly cab mounts, assumed being aftermarket they're not correct, so I made a 3/4" spacer for all 4 cab mounts and the core support. Problem solved I thought. Now with the laser line the body line is perfect from front of fender to across the doors to back of the bed. All metal fits perfect. The problem now is the front bumper. It sits to low, top is just below the grill instead going over like it's supposed to. I've essentially put a body lift on the truck and now the bumper won't fit. So maybe the poly cab mounts were right?? That doesn't explain the bed being to high. I've read many posts about this problem. The only thing not original to the truck is the bedsides. I believe it has the correct crossmembers, they are the shorter ones, 2 3/8" tall. A few are even the originals so I dont think thats the issue. The frame perches are original, have not been altered or changed. I've had the truck over 20 years, the original bed did not have this problem. I dont see any way to get the bed lower. The spacers under the cab and core support seem to be the only option to get it all lined up but I dont know what to do about the bumper. I can't just raise it up bc the lower curve of the bumper pushes the whole thing forward when I bring it up causing a huge gap between it and the grill. I'm not against a roll pan, but the frame horns won't clear. Frame is already powdercoated so modifying the frame is not an option. Any ideas???
jdime20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 10:48 AM   #2
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Lightbulb Re: Bed/cab/bumper issues

If you still have the original besides, I would verify the body line is exactly the same dimension as the aftermarket part, also the inner bed structure is exactly the same dimension. My Woodall Blazer bedside was good to very good, but a couple of dimensions were slightly off. Sure beats the rusted, dented alternative!
1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 11:07 AM   #3
70STOVEBOLT

Re: Bed/cab/bumper issues

Are there different bedsides for wood and steel floors? I have Woodall SWB bedsides and steel floor with replacement rubber cab mounts and my body lines are almost perfect.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 11:55 AM   #4
jdime20

I don't have the originals anymore, they were in pretty bad shape through the wheel arches. As far as I know the bedsides are the same. I know the crossmembers are different for wood and steel floors, I'm pretty sure I have the right ones. They're the shorter ones, and those along with the bedsides fit with the factory rear crossmember and a few of the factory crossmembers. And it all fit great with the wood and wheel tubs mocked up. So I believe everything with the bed is correct. It is worth noting the wood is 3/4" thick, which is the exact amount I'm off with the body line. But I dont see any way of having the wood in wrong.
jdime20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 03:25 PM   #5
70STOVEBOLT

Please post what you found to be the solution to this issue.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23