The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Kudzupatch

Lowered Suburban issue

Bought a 93 Suburban that I believe was built by BelTech. I know it belonged to a salesman, that is why I suspect it was a factory car. Regardless is has all Beltech gear. Very well done suspension. spindles and spring up front. Flip kit and brackets in the rear with air-lift bags.

It still has the factory wheels, I painted them and I am happy with the way they look so I am really not interested in buying new wheels. But the tires rub the fenders when turning and you compress the suspension hardly any. Also the tires scrub the inner fender wells on a big bump. Love the car, love the look but I getting really tired of this.

Been thinking on this for a while and I am thinking of raising the front end 1" with either new springs or spacers.
Shorter tires on the front, 2" shorter. That should lower the car the 1", the same amount I raised it, so it keeps the stance it has. It would should give me 2" more clearance inside the fender wells and hopefully cut way down on the scrubbing if not eliminate it.

Am I on the right track? Am I overlooking something?

Here is a photo. You can see how tight the clearnace around the front tires are.

Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Lowered Suburban issue

I would try shorter tires with a bit less width.

From the pics they look to be fairly wide, and tall for 15's. My guess is the are 255/70/15.

I would try 245/60/15's, and see if they scrub before going all in. Often times its that last little bit that messes things up more.

Lastly your front tires look quite flush with the fenders. Is there a spacer in there you never noticed before?
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
Kudzupatch

235/75/15 tires, that is what is what it came with. I agree these are very large tire.

I have had the wheels off when I painted them and there is no spacer. It sure looks there is one but looking at others that have not been lower it's factory. They just sit tall enough not to be an issue.

I haven't looked at specific tire sizes yet but I was thinking a 70 series. Putting on tires first is a good idea. The ride height it about as low as I want. Where I drive any lower would cause problems. I have kissed the frame a couple of times so that is why I was thinking spacers or new springs to make up for shorter tires.

Otherwise, I love this truck. It suits me and the way I use it perfect.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
cdowns

in the old days we used to clearance things like that to eliminate the problems///rolling a baseball bat with the truck slowly movin can flare a fender enough for good glearance and streaching the metal with a BFH inin the area of the inner fender works too

have actually seen a local company that specializes in clearincing lowered tunner cars mostly // the advertise no paint damage clearancing
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:36 AM   #5
502ms

Definitely the tires and fender rolling
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2014, 11:03 PM   #6
Kudzupatch

Failed to follow up on this. A few months back I installed a set of Bell Tech spacers on the springs and lifted the front 1'". I then replaced the front tires, 235/75/15 with 205/75/15's They are 2" small in diameter and just a little narrower than what was on it.

This was the ticket and worked perfectly. Stance is the same and it solved all the scrubbing issues. I still find myself cringing when I hit a hard bump, expecting to hear those tires scrubbing on the inner fenders, but it hasn't happened once since the swap.

And I think they look much better!
Old 01-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzupatch View Post
And I think they look much better!
Thanks for the follow up. Now post some current pics.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #8
Kudzupatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Thanks for the follow up. Now post some current pics.
You would think a Photographer would get photos of his ride quicker than this wouldn't you? It was warm today so I got a chance to wash it and clean it inside.

Smaller front tires not only solved all the clearance issues I think they look much better. They are more in proportion with the fender wells. The old ones looked like they stuffed in there to me.

I have added the cold air and electric fans are next. Still looking for a set of valve covers I like. I lean toward the old school look and haven't found anything that appeals to me yet.

I would like to add headers and a new exhaust. But these are fine so that will probably wait till it needs them. Besides my shop is full with another project right now. So there isn't any space.

I HATED the factor wheel! That was one of the first things on my list to change. I looked at most everything on the market I think. Most of the new stuff doesn't suit a Suburban to me. Again. being kind of old school when I saw this repo, Camaro wheel I had to have it. It is slightly small diameter but the dish is perfect match. I love the way it looks. Nice and clean.

I put all new speakers and replaced the factory radio. Now I am wishing I had gone ahead and got a head unit with Blue Tooth. I travel in this vehicle and hands free phone and wireless music streaming from my phone would be so nice!

So I will probably replace this one soon and install a mic for the phone. Anyone done this? I am looking at putting it in dash or in the overhead console. I want to it built in and not just stuck on the dash somewhere. Till I get it in hand I don't really know what my options are.