The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
Lou Boffa

Add a pulley question

I have a 2 grove crank pulley (pictured) and need to add a pulley for PS. How does the add-a pulley attach? Do the bolts on the existing pulley need to be removed? How many bolts does the add-a pulley take and what size? Can it be added without removing the grill and radiator? You pro's are probably smiling but I'm determined to get this done. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Add a pulley question

You don't add a pulley to a double one, you install a triple pulley.
But why would you need a triple. Your altenator and water pump are driven by one. The other is for the power steering pump.
Unless you have a/c too!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
Lou Boffa

Thanks Geezer. Got it, pull the 2 groove pulley and replace with a 3 groove. Yes, truck has AC. Never had PS.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #4
cleszkie

For what its worth, my original three groove crank pulley can be separated into a single and a double. They just press together and the three crank bolts secure them.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:26 PM   #5
Lou Boffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
For what its worth, my original three groove crank pulley can be separated into a single and a double. They just press together and the three crank bolts secure them.
Thanks. Getting ready to tear into it, remove bumper and grill so I can get the front of the motor clean and outfitted w new gear box and pump. Should be fun.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:48 AM   #6
FlameOut

My three groove pulley consists of a double groove and a single groove. My ps pump is driven by that outer 3rd pulley. I don't know if this is correct though, but it's working

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 1500
1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Boffa View Post
I have a 2 grove crank pulley (pictured) and need to add a pulley for PS. How does the add-a pulley attach? Do the bolts on the existing pulley need to be removed? How many bolts does the add-a pulley take and what size? Can it be added without removing the grill and radiator? You pro's are probably smiling but I'm determined to get this done. Thanks
It simply goes on over the existing pulley, there should be two punched out guides that slip into the existing pulley, that's how my 72 with p/s and a/c is. You have to remove the inner dampener/pulley bolt and the three pulley bolts, install the pulley then re-install all the bolts.

But I'm not sure that will provide the alignment you need, my inner belt groove is right up against the dampener, yours might have a space built in if it didn't come with p/s. The three groove pulley should align with the p/s pump. I'd install the pump before you get the pulley so you know what exactly you need, easy if you have local junk yards that can supply you.

No, you don't have to pull the radiator to do it. Start by removing the fan shroud screws, then secure a thin piece of plywood, pegboard, or heavy cardboard (not the safest) over the radiator to prevent the inevitable accident then loosen the fan or fan clutch, bring the shroud out with the fan blade if necessary to clear.

I'm not 100% sure you even need to do all that. I would attempt to install the p/s pump from above first, then I'd go after the lower pulley from the bottom. You might remove the alternator if it's in the way. Look it over.

BTW, my original 72 p/s pump pulley never, ever aligned perfectly. I ended up getting a p/s pulley off a Dodge truck 360 engine and that one is perfect. Something to consider if you end up with a slight mis-alignment.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #8
Bigdav160

It's at work but I think my OE crank pulley is cast and three grooves. My Corvettes have stamped steel 2 groove pulleys. The PS pulley is installed by removing all four bolts on the currently pulley and bolting the PS pulley on top.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #9
Lou Boffa

Great info. Exactly what I needed. I'll pull the shroud tomorrow and see where I'm at. Good advice on holding off on the pulley till the pump is installed. I'll do that. Thanks gentlemen.