The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2022, 06:13 PM   #1
leftybass209

Sway bar thickness handling differences...

For anyone that went from a stock sway bar, to one of greater thickness, how would you describe the handling characteristics, and cost vs reward, when stepping up from one bar to the other.

Also, for anyone who added a rear sway bar, how much (if any) do you think that changed the front end sway. Obviously that's not the rear bars job, but I was curious if the reduced rear body roll had a residual effect on the front.

Thanks all!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:34 PM   #2
garyd1961

Re: Sway bar thickness handling differences...

I can't really answer your question about different thickness affecting handling but I can tell you when I added a sway bar off a 70 suburban to my 70 C10 it made a.world of difference. I went from fighting a curve at 40 mph to cruising it at 60 mph.
BTW does a 70 suburban come with the same size bar as 70 C10?
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:22 AM   #3
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Okay, I had the stock 7/8ths factory sway bar on my 72 Longbox C10 and replaced it with a 1 1/4 inch bar from a 80's Square Body C30/3500 about 5 years ago. I also replaced the original 87000 mile original bushing with the polyurethane ones and yes could immediately tell the difference as the front end had less lean driving spiritidly into corners and off ramps. Last year I added a Hellwig rear sway bar to the truck and now it stays flat with pretty much no lean on any curve or off ramp at speed. Truck is stock height but added 17 inch tires last year and in the process of doing a 2 1/2 inch dropped spindle with a 4 inch drop rear spring and adjustable panhard bar and rear shock relocators so thinking she will handle like a sports car when its all done. The front bar was 40 at the wreckers and the bushing maybe another 30 or 40 but the rear Hellwing is pricey. Pic is with the 17's on.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021

Last edited by Already Gone; 08-11-2022 at 06:36 AM.
Already Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:36 AM   #4
72SB

I can say that going from no front sway bar to the 1 1/4" one made a world of difference. I would think going from a stock, 7/8", to anything larger would still show improvement
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:58 AM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

As Already Gone stated the improvement is very apparent (in a good way!). Going to a 1-1/4" factory bar is one of the best "Bang for your buck" improvements you can do for your truck. I too got a squarebody 1-1/4" bar from a wrecking yard for $40.

Going larger than 1-1/4" will have diminishing gains with the chance of other handling issues. GM knew what they were doing so 1-1/4 is the largest bar they installed on trucks C30 and smaller.

Rear sway bars have a less noticeable effect on handling for the average truck. Once you do other modifications towards handling then the benefits become more apparent. That being said Suburbans and trucks with campers and other loads that raise the center of gravity of the truck will see more gains from a rear bar.

The sizing of the rear bar for a C30 Longhorn with a camper will be different for a C10 short bed, whereas both of those trucks would use the same 1-1/4" front bar.

If you're planning to install a rear bar talking to vendors and reading the "Make it handle" thread will help you determine what size and configuration of rear bar is appropriate for your truck and driving style.

https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=419251
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:28 AM   #6
leftybass209

Thanks for the info guys!

This was the kind of info I was looking for. Rebuilt the front end last month, 2.5 drop spindles, 2" springs, and a stock sway bar. It's loads better than no sway bar, but still significant body roll for a stock bench. Looks like more work ahead!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:22 PM   #7
kwmech

Could not tell the difference in the size of bar, but maybe I don't drive it hard enough. Now on my '68 GMC 25. It did not have a bar originally. I installed one off of a 71 (7/8'') and could tell the difference right away.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:32 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
As Already Gone stated the improvement is very apparent (in a good way!). Going to a 1-1/4" factory bar is one of the best "Bang for your buck" improvements you can do for your truck. I too got a squarebody 1-1/4" bar from a wrecking yard for $40.

Going larger than 1-1/4" will have diminishing gains with the chance of other handling issues. GM knew what they were doing so 1-1/4 is the largest bar they installed on trucks C30 and smaller.

Rear sway bars have a less noticeable effect on handling for the average truck. Once you do other modifications towards handling then the benefits become more apparent. That being said Suburbans and trucks with campers and other loads that raise the center of gravity of the truck will see more gains from a rear bar.

The sizing of the rear bar for a C30 Longhorn with a camper will be different for a C10 short bed, whereas both of those trucks would use the same 1-1/4" front bar.

If you're planning to install a rear bar talking to vendors and reading the "Make it handle" thread will help you determine what size and configuration of rear bar is appropriate for your truck and driving style.

https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=419251
I'll be looking into that thread shortly. I went from Michelin to Firestone Transforce tires, and even with 10 psi more pressure in the rear tires, it still oversteers. It's unnerving. I'm kind of used to it now, and can compensate. My wife would panic if it did it to her. I'll get it as neutral as possible. I don't corner hard, and I don't drive it over 55 mph.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 01:36 PM   #9
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I just spent an hour down that rabbit hole. Has anyone ever gotten a kit for a 3/4T Longhorn? That's leaf springs, what a bait and switch. Helwig's search is pathetic. Punch in Chevrolet and get 23 pages, with no distinction for vehicle manufacturer...and no bar listed for my truck!?

Incognito window google fu is better. And it's Helwig. They need someone to fix that search travesty.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...SABEgL_ofD_BwE

Simi Valley, CA

Last edited by Steeveedee; 08-11-2022 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:22 PM   #10
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I just spent an hour down that rabbit hole. Has anyone ever gotten a kit for a 3/4T Longhorn? That's leaf springs, what a bait and switch. Helwig's search is pathetic. Punch in Chevrolet and get 23 pages, with no distinction for vehicle manufacturer...and no bar listed for my truck!?

Incognito window google fu is better. And it's Helwig. They need someone to fix that search travesty.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...SABEgL_ofD_BwE
I opened up Hellwigs Website and found this. It says for C20 with Leaf Springs so think would would work on your Longhorn as well.

https://www.hellwigproducts.com/our-.../?searchq=7402

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 08-11-2022, 05:33 PM   #11
Southcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Thanks for the info guys!

This was the kind of info I was looking for. Rebuilt the front end last month, 2.5 drop spindles, 2" springs, and a stock sway bar. It's loads better than no sway bar, but still significant body roll for a stock bench. Looks like more work ahead!
Add the below to your handling considerations:
1.If you are running a bench seat, the better you make your rig handle, the harder it's going to be to stay planted in that bench seat. It seems obvious but this is a big contributor to that "body roll" feeling too. If you were able to swap your bench seat for a race seat in seconds, you would be amazed how much more planted the truck and you feel even though suspension remained untouched
2.Wheel/tire combo you are running will make a big difference in cornering feeling, capabilities, handling etc.
3.Stock style shocks vs. sport shocks vs. adjustable etc: The options are many, it all comes down personal preference but this does impact handling capabilities and feel too
Old 08-11-2022, 05:53 PM   #12
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
I opened up Hellwigs Website and found this. It says for C20 with Leaf Springs so think would would work on your Longhorn as well.

https://www.hellwigproducts.com/our-.../?searchq=7402
I don't know why the heck I couldn't get it at Hellwig's site, but could find it by the link to sdtrucksprings. Same part number! I got into a chat with someone but they were taking so long to respond to my question about fitment on my truck, since it has a 1T frame, I cancelled out- had to go give the dogs their lunch. I'm betting that the frame widths and so forth are the same, but I'm going to verify that before I order a bar. I was sort of hoping that there might be some variation in sizes, but it appears that there is only one part number.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 08-11-2022, 06:11 PM   #13
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I don't know why the heck I couldn't get it at Hellwig's site, but could find it by the link to sdtrucksprings. Same part number! I got into a chat with someone but they were taking so long to respond to my question about fitment on my truck, since it has a 1T frame, I cancelled out- had to go give the dogs their lunch. I'm betting that the frame widths and so forth are the same, but I'm going to verify that before I order a bar. I was sort of hoping that there might be some variation in sizes, but it appears that there is only one part number.
If you decide to order the sway bar I suggest ordering from Hellwing Directly. I initially ordered mine from an internet vendor and was told about a week out. After 3 weeks I cancelled the order and got the refund quickly and ordered direct from Hellwig and it was here in Canada in 10 days. Looking at Google Maps u live 3 hours from the plant.

Old 08-11-2022, 07:43 PM   #14
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
If you decide to order the sway bar I suggest ordering from Hellwing Directly. I initially ordered mine from an internet vendor and was told about a week out. After 3 weeks I cancelled the order and got the refund quickly and ordered direct from Hellwig and it was here in Canada in 10 days. Looking at Google Maps u live 3 hours from the plant.
If I could justify a road trip, I'd do just that! Free delivery is speaking my kind of language, though. And I'm not in that big of a hurry, either.

Simi Valley, CA