The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Which unit would you choose
Vintage Air 15 71.43%
Classic Auto Air 1 4.76%
Old Air Products 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2022, 05:00 PM   #1
jgrote

Vintage Air vs Classic Auto Air vs Old Air Products

I'm about to pull the trigger on aftermarket AC, and I am leaning toward Classic Auto Air, but I'm not completely fond of the "ecu" part of it. Proprietary black boxes tend to get very hard to find as things age. But I like the look of the new AC controls. Old Air products seems to be the dark horse here, but looks like a decent system. If you have recent experience, please let me know what you went with, and how it went. I am an experienced tech, with the right tools to complete the job myself, but I'd rather have pre-made hoses. Otherwise, it leads to finger pointing. My cab is a non-ac cab, but I would like to buy the factory looking vents and install them. Please, give me your opinions on these, not "retrofit a factory unit because it's better". I want a kit that comes with everything, that won't nickle and dime me and take 3 months to find all the little bits.

https://www.vintageair.com/surefit/c...1972&model=C10

https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/...ioning-system/

https://www.oldairproducts.com/produ...9-3e5644eca549
jgrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:11 PM   #2
cj847

Re: Vintage Air vs Classic Auto Air vs Old Air Products

I installed vintage air in my 71. I installed Old Air in my 67. The vintage air has significantly better cooling (especially this summer). VA has a bigger evaporator, so I am not imagining this difference. You Must tint windows to be happy with old air.

Vintage air - uses up most of the glove box space. It requires more sub assy than Old Air. The "sure fit" system comes with complete hoses, just be sure you have a complete description of your engine.

Old Air - salvages most of the glove box. It has a variable thermostat on the evaporator. I think the gen II vintage air has one as well, but I am assuming you are going gen IV. The old air was easier for me to install working by myself. OA "sure fit system" comes with hoses terminated on one end. You have to cut to length, mark orientation, and have the A/C shop crimp them.

I think (not sure) that the ECU you are referring to controls the cooling. So, the gen IV is less likely to freeze up due to wrong thermostat setting.

I think (no experience) that the classic air unit is a copy of vintage air.
Another that you didn't mention - no experience with Resto-mod air

I would go VA for sure. The old air is perfect for a small street rod where space is at a premium, but our trucks have the space. For someone with a Suburban, Old Air makes a nice rear air unit.

Last edited by cj847; 08-05-2022 at 08:24 PM.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:21 PM   #3
jgrote

Thank you cj847. I didn't include Resto-mod air because I really didn't like their products. How did the install of the switches on the OE controls go? Does it look nice?
Old 08-05-2022, 08:35 PM   #4
dmjlambert

I have Original Air https://www.originalair.com/gm-engin...tment-upgrades, they are related to Classic Auto Air. New under hood components from them except for the evaporator box. I bought new and used in-cab components and restored the evaporator box. When I was doing my research I lost interest in any kits that took away glove box or glove box space and unless I'm mistaken all the kits do just that.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:15 PM   #5
MrBlue

I installed the Vintage Air and am totally satisfied with it. Cools amazing. I did have my hoses crimped locally and would do it again.
I also had a non-a/c cab. Being you are an experienced tech, I would think this is just another part of the puzzle solving of the day.
Good Luck!
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:44 AM   #6
jgrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlue View Post
I installed the Vintage Air and am totally satisfied with it. Cools amazing. I did have my hoses crimped locally and would do it again.
I also had a non-a/c cab. Being you are an experienced tech, I would think this is just another part of the puzzle solving of the day.
Good Luck!
The hose thing is more about time. I work from home, but have a fairly time and mental energy draining job. As I get older, time is becoming more valuable than money to me. Taking time off work to go and get hoses crimped will end up costing me more of both than I'd like. But, in 100 degree heat, the final product becomes the most important part. I am building this one to be my "daily", so comfort is #1 here.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:27 AM   #7
MrBlue

I'm with you on the "time factor". My daily commute is around 3 hours.
My 72' haa a 99' Tahoe engine with the serpentine belt setup. So, there are no factory hoses for this, they have to be cut and crimped.
Looking forward to seeing what you do!
Attached Images

Last edited by MrBlue; 08-07-2022 at 10:41 AM.
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:25 PM   #8
Accelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrote View Post
The hose thing is more about time. I work from home, but have a fairly time and mental energy draining job. As I get older, time is becoming more valuable than money to me. Taking time off work to go and get hoses crimped will end up costing me more of both than I'd like.
Vintage Air will crimp the hoses for you. Just cut them to length and mark the clocking with a permanent marker and send them back. It's unclear if they charge for this service or not.

It's fairly evident that the reason for the uncrimped hoses is the multiple compressor placements that end users utilize.
Cheers.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:54 PM   #9
Mid-Pack

I got the VA system and the kit came with the hoses crimped and ready to install. Should be kit# 941170.

Last edited by Mid-Pack; 08-09-2022 at 07:13 PM.
Mid-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:29 PM   #10
jgrote

I think I'm going to go with the OAP unit, mostly because it's available, and I like the compressor on/off button. I tried to talk to them today, but they didn't return my call. VA is running 3-4 month lead times. Hopefully I can get this ordered tomorrow. Last time I talked to them, their lead times were 5 days or so.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:14 PM   #11
jgrote

Order has been placed. I should have it in a couple weeks.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:27 AM   #12
70cst

Interesting thread

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:30 PM   #13
72MARIO

I am about to remove my old air kit . Absolutely the worst thing I ever installed in my Suburban. I have nothing good to say about there product. Might be a reason why the others are sold out. Any good products are hard to get these days.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 02:10 AM   #14
Lee H

I went with Vintage Air 10-12 years ago. It’s been great. I have a mid 90s serpentine system. I installed the system less the two compressor hoses. I took it to my local AC shop and they fit in and crimped the hoses, charged the system. Took about an hour. Have no complaints or regrets.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 11:47 AM   #15
C101972

Just pulled the pin and ordered my Vintage Air kit for my ‘72 C10,
Estimated ship date 2nd week of November.
Posted via Mobile Device
C101972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:29 PM   #16
68 C10 Driver

Have u ou thought about an underdash unit, like a Mark IV? I found a NOS unit from the early 70s, still in the box for $125.00. I think these units give that 'vintage aftermarket look to the truck and will complement the period correct look I am after with this truck.

Best news, no ECU.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 10:56 AM   #17
jgrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 C10 Driver View Post
Have u ou thought about an underdash unit, like a Mark IV? I found a NOS unit from the early 70s, still in the box for $125.00. I think these units give that 'vintage aftermarket look to the truck and will complement the period correct look I am after with this truck.

Best news, no ECU.
I did, but they only fit if you remove the heater box. Now, you can get a Mark IV look alike with heat built in, but it's ~$1100 for that kit, and it doesn't work as well doing either thing as the built in kits. I live in a place that is close to 100 degrees in the summer, and close to 0 in the winter. I need decent heat and cool.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:04 AM   #18
jgrote

Oh, and because I can't leave well enough alone, I'm swapping out the long WP that's on it back to short. This means I will be relocating the alt to the driver's side, and un-buggering whatever crazy stuff someone did to modify the PS pump bracket to work with the long WP.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:12 AM   #19
jgrote

It's finally time to get started. I was able to spend 3 hours or so in the garage this afternoon. I got the front end all torn down, and the alternator moved back to the driver's side. I'm mocking up and test fitting all the brackets first, because they all need a little modification to make them work. My goal is to have all the brackets figured out and painted by the end of the weekend. Then, I'm taking a couple of days off next week. I plan on getting the entire install done over a 5 day weekend.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2022, 10:58 AM   #20
Smitty

Have had the Old Air unit in my ‘71 for about 3 yrs. Now and haven’t had any issues with it. And the one time I had to contact them was a good experience as well. Although I did utilize a serpentine set up I pulled from pic a part.

Last edited by Smitty; 08-27-2022 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Added comment
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote