The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2019, 01:36 PM   #1
forestb

Covering cal vent holes

I have speakers installed in my kick panel vent holes and I want to figure out a way to block off my cal vent holes in order to keep rain from getting in. Originally I built cups for the speakers to sit in but they are restricting air flow behind the speakers which is making them not function properly so I am going to have to cut a hole in the cups. I need to block the cal vent in such a way that it can be removed to access the windshield wiper mechanism and I don't want to cut or weld anything. I know that they sell panels that don't have the slots in in them but that will not keep the rain that runs down the window out of the holes. Any ideas.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:58 PM   #2
nsb29

Re: Covering cal vent holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
I have speakers installed in my kick panel vent holes and I want to figure out a way to block off my cal vent holes in order to keep rain from getting in. Originally I built cups for the speakers to sit in but they are restricting air flow behind the speakers which is making them not function properly so I am going to have to cut a hole in the cups. I need to block the cal vent in such a way that it can be removed to access the windshield wiper mechanism and I don't want to cut or weld anything. I know that they sell panels that don't have the slots in in them but that will not keep the rain that runs down the window out of the holes. Any ideas.
Could you make your speaker covers so that they keep water off of your speaker but would Vent from the bottom ??
Old 05-30-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
Could you make your speaker covers so that they keep water off of your speaker but would Vent from the bottom ??
That is an option. The problem I am having with that is the cups are installed in the truck and the kick panels have been carpeted and there is an air conditioning directly above the cup. So I am trying to figure out the right tool to use to cut at that angle. It helps that there is already a hole drilled there for the wire.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #4
forestb

just in case you are wondering, Won't the water ruin the mdf box anyway? The back side is coated in the stuff for inside the fenders.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:45 AM   #5
MOJO1963GMC

I've seen custom made covers somewhere before. I think on one of the Facebook groups there was a guy making them. Looked really cool too. Sorry I cant be any more help
MOJO1963GMC is offline   Reply With Quote