The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Garbage Rocker Panels

This is a snippet from my build thread and wanted to get some input. Basically should I continue with what I have? Or pull it off and start again with a different brand of rocker panel... since not everybody is following my build thread... I wanted to toss it up here in the open forum... please read on!

Metal thrashing mad!

I have been beating my head against a wall with this passenger side outer rocker. I see and hear about cats replacing them like... "super easy, didn't have to modify anything..." Not the case with mine. I found out after I have this thing halfway installed and have had to refabricate the entire front of it, that I have panels made by "Dynacorn". Apparently they are garbage. Well... FML.

In the pics you'll see how far I had to bend the damn thing away from the pillar to get it to line up with the door and the fender. Plus like I mentioned above I had to refab the front of it to get it to even mate up with anything. I had to make a relief cut towards the inside near the door lip that I will have to "massage" into place with strategic welds and hammer shots. I've also had the door and fender off 300 times and aligned over and over again.

So I'm either going to quit with this one, and remove the welds I already have in it and junk it for panels made by a different source... or I can make this POS work and then get a different brand panel for the drivers side. Glad I started on the passenger side so it won't pi$$ me off every time I opened the door!

Gary
Attached Images

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
Orange Crate

Re: Garbage Rocker Panels

I had similar troubles. I ordered three complete sets of rockers and none of them were worth a #@%#. I ended up modifying mine pretty close to what you did. It's just they way it is unless you want to pony up for a set of NOS rockers, they are out there if you search long enough. Get -R- done and move on......
Old 08-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
hugger6933

I don't want to sound like a jerk, and I feel your pain but I think if you made about three more cuts your mighty close. Looking at the pics and remembering what I did on the last one I did, I made about three relief cut and two pie cuts and quite a bit of hammering to make me happy.
And as to speaking of NOS OE panels I remember doing rockers on a truck I gave my brother many years ago before I cared about this body style[I got in to them in his memory]They did not fit much better than some I have used lately. But back then the dealer had a pile of them seems like I gave like $25 bucks for them with my discount.
Hang in there and keep at it and it will work out. don't be afraid to cut it you can weld it up and don't be afraid to bend it you can make it right again
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crate View Post
I had similar troubles. I ordered three complete sets of rockers and none of them were worth a #@%#. I ended up modifying mine pretty close to what you did. It's just they way it is unless you want to pony up for a set of NOS rockers, they are out there if you search long enough. Get -R- done and move on......
That's exactly what I figured... I'm gonna keep on hammerin' on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
I don't want to sound like a jerk, and I feel your pain but I think if you made about three more cuts your mighty close. Looking at the pics and remembering what I did on the last one I did, I made about three relief cut and two pie cuts and quite a bit of hammering to make me happy.
And as to speaking of NOS OE panels I remember doing rockers on a truck I gave my brother many years ago before I cared about this body style[I got in to them in his memory]They did not fit much better than some I have used lately. But back then the dealer had a pile of them seems like I gave like $25 bucks for them with my discount.
Hang in there and keep at it and it will work out. don't be afraid to cut it you can weld it up and don't be afraid to bend it you can make it right again
Nah... you're not being a jerk at all. I figured that I would just have to deal with installing them this way no matter what brand panels I used. I will probably have to make one more relief cut to get the weatherstrip rail to line up right. Thanks!

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
kxmotox247

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
I don't want to sound like a jerk, and I feel your pain but I think if you made about three more cuts your mighty close.

What he said.... I used "Key-Parts" rockers. One side fit really good and the other side was terrible. Both sides needed pie cuts, welding, grinding and hammering. I think the passenger side was a real fight but it still came out good.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #6
raggedjim

I hate to say this, but for the 3 trucks I have done the DRIVERS side has always been harder!

Keep at it, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

For an update on a rocker panel that actually fit very well. Here are a couple links to posts from my build thread with pics.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=269

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=270

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #8
Overdriven

Thanks for the tip on the double label Dynacorn. Think I'll just avoid them if I can.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #9
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Good to hear they fit a lot better. I have the key parts ones for "when it's time."
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #10
sprint_9

Great follow up, and valuable info for those of us that need to complete this fun job.

I got an older set of aftermarket rockers from a guy I know, they sat for about 20 years in his shed. I guess if I run into trouble with them Ill know now to right away abandon them and search out some of the proven ones.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:38 PM   #11
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

I'll need rockers and cab supports, so not looking forward to either one.