The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2021, 07:45 PM   #1
pwdcougar

steering column color

What is the correct color for a 70 non tilt steering column? After searching it looks like 67-68's had body color and 69-72 had a fawn color. My 68 parts truck was painted what appears to be Anniversary Gold and the column is body color. The picture is of my 70 that was originally green.
Attached Images

1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:57 PM   #2
jocko

Re: steering column color

70 non-tilt column color is determined by the SPID interior trim color code, not the interior paint. Do you have your green truck's SPID (or know what color your door panels or seat were (I don't know if you removed them or if a prev owner did))?
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:02 PM   #3
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
70 non-tilt column color is determined by the SPID interior trim color code, not the interior paint. Do you have your green truck's SPID (or know what color your door panels or seat were (I don't know if you removed them or if a prev owner did))?
Here is a copy of the spid. I'm painting the truck and will be going with a grey interior and a two tone blue white exterior.
Attached Images

1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
Old 04-01-2021, 08:11 PM   #4
jocko

thx for posting, original 70 gold interior would have had a sandalwood column, wheel, and dash pad.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:24 PM   #5
pwdcougar

Quote:
thx for posting, original 70 gold interior would have had a sandalwood column, wheel, and dash pad.
Thanks Jocko

Was there a grey interior option in 70? I'm trying to think of what color to do the column with the grey interior.

Paul
Old 04-01-2021, 08:40 PM   #6
jocko

no gray interiors in this era. If going with gray, you could just use black dash pad and column/wheel. What color will your door panels be with a gray interior? Since it's custom (if it's gray), all bets are off - palette is wide open. You could make it look totally stock, but in a non-original color, i.e. gray-ish wheel and column, or go with a stock option (blue) to provide interior contrast and match the planned truck paint. The stock int trim colors for 70 were red, green, blue, black, sandalwood, and one other that is slipping my mind at the moment. With blue and white exterior, and I assume blue interior metal, options might be a little more limited - blue, black, gray, etc. Personally, I'd scrounge parts and rebuild your totally stock interior in gold with sandalwood dash pad, column, wheel, etc. That would be original - and I don't know that I've ever seen gold/sandalwood in a blue truck - could be stock and striking at same time. Lotsa options... But I realize I lean toward original colors. If gray is what you want, go for it! Will it be a stock bench or buckets or aftermarket seat? If a stock 70 seat, someone will have to make custom covers if you want gray material, I'm not aware of any made in gray.

Last edited by jocko; 04-01-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:44 PM   #7
pwdcougar

Quote:
no gray interiors in this era. If going with gray, you could just use black dash pad and column/wheel. What color will your door panels be with a gray interior? Since it's custom (if it's gray), all bets are off - palette is wide open. You could make it look totally stock, but in a non-original color, i.e. gray-ish wheel and column, or go with a stock option (blue) to provide contrast and match the planned truck paint. The stock int trim colors for 70 were red, green, blue, black, sandalwood, and one other that is slipping my mind at the moment.
Thanks for the tips. I've got a black dash pad already a replacement that came with the truck. The grayish wheel and column is a good idea!

Paul
Old 04-01-2021, 09:00 PM   #8
'68OrangeSunshine

OEM Fawn fades to grey over time.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote