The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2020, 11:02 AM   #1
dhunt00c

Exhaust help?

Hi all. I have a 68 chevy C10 and bought Hedman mid-length ceramic headers. Also bought a Flowmaster 2.5" stainless exhaust kit, but I don't really have any pieces/bends that allow me to run the exhaust directly from the shorty headers collector down to a point that i can just do the regular runs onward to mufflers and back of truck. So basically some piping and bends to match the rest of the system (basic stainless from Flowmaster) that would run between the end of the shorty header to near where a normal long tube header collector is. Any recommendations on what intermediate pipes/bends I need or can get to run this portion of exhaust? I can post part numbers if that helps. Thanks in advance!
dhunt00c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Re: Exhaust help?

I purchased the Holley Blackheart kit and had the same issue with connecting to my headers. I ended up taking a piece of brake line tubing and made a template of what I needed. I then found a local shop to bend the pieces for me. I tacked them in and then took them back for them to weld up. I didn't get mandrel bends is the only negative.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:06 PM   #3
Orange Crate

There are a lot of "header build kits" out there. Here is one that I found at the top of the search results.

https://www.stainlessheaders.com/cat.../customheaders
Old 10-13-2020, 04:30 PM   #4
LS short box

NAPA has mandrel bends. Typically not in stock but only a day away. I assume that with the mid-length headers a 45 degree bend would be close. You might have to add a short piece of straight tubing to both ends to match up with your exhaust kit.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:59 PM   #5
Peanut74

I agree with 71stepside. Going to a local shop is the most cost effective way to go and fastest way to get it done.

I just had the same issue sort of. I am using long tube headers and the exhaust system I bought was to long when assembled. It was about 8" to long. So after cutting off as much pipe as I could the header collector was still to long. So I had to use the collectors from the header which happened to be the same size as the exhaust pipe. Went to a local muffler shop and they expanded the collector's for ten bucks. Put them on and everything lined up.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote