The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
see ten
WTB this ad

Convert seat to "tilt" and "latch"

Just like the title states guys. I'd like to convert my bench seat in my 72 to tilt forward so I can store/hide/stash things behind it. I also want it to latch. I don't want the seat pushing forward on me during hard braking/panic stops.

So, anyone done a conversion/mod like this? Suggestions? I want to try to avoid having to entirely replace the seat or have it recovered. I like my interior to look original and the scroll seatcover is in great shape.

Thanks!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Undone

Re: Convert seat to "tilt" and "latch"

I would like to know also.
Undone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
notsolo

Would a shoulder seat belt solve your problem, 72's had a mounting hole for the 3 pt belts I believe.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
flashed

Have you done a search on here ? I think I have read a thread on here about making seats fold forward .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
jocko

here you go: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508836
For the latch inspiration - you might find some relevant ideas by looking at a passenger side Blazer bucket seat bracket and apply it to a modified bench. Or just do something like that outlined in the link.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #6
67swb72klb

I don't know about the latch part but there is a thread on this somewhere here ^^
Old 06-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #7
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
here you go: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508836
For the latch inspiration - you might find some relevant ideas by looking at a passenger side Blazer bucket seat bracket and apply it to a modified bench. Or just do something like that outlined in the link.
I'd seen that thread, and I appreciate you posting it. What they're doing isn't what I'm trying to accomplish. They're either replacing their seat with one from another year, or replacing part of their seat. And the one gents seat tilts but doesn't latch. My seat is perfect, I'm trying to do this without having to buy another seatcover (or a completely different seat). If I can't make that happen, I'll just wait til my seatcover wears out. I don't want this to happen bad enough to just ditch my perfectly good (but non-tilting) seat.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #8
jocko

Ah, I see what you mean. Well, I'm gonna subscribe just to see what someone might come up with. Would be interesting to see if this could be done.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
Grumpy old man

Here are a few pictures of a flip forward '67 seat and bracket , you can make the non-flip seats flip with a little welding and some hardware but you would still have to have the material on the side of the seat back reworked so the seat back would be able to fold forward as the material on standard seatback is attached to the seat bottom to cover the mounting bracket and won't be able to fold forward without tearing loose from the seat frame the red/white seat is a standard and you can see how it would not be able to fold without removing the material"cover" over the bracket ...http://http://http://http://
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
see ten
WTB this ad

Thanks for the pictures.

And yes, I understand that the vinyl will have to be modified in order for it to tilt forward. I'm just trying to avoid having to install an entirely new cover... or seat.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #11
BrianG

Maybe you could come up with a way for the whole seat to flip forward. That way you could still use original looking seat covers. You would also then have access to under the seat where a decent amount of space is actually available.

Either way though, in my opinion, it is sort of a safety concern if you were to get in an accident so I'd be sure to come up with a decent locking mechanism.

I'm sure a trip to a local salvage yard could help come up with some ideas and parts as well.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #12
1972RedNeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Either way though, in my opinion, it is sort of a safety concern if you were to get in an accident so I'd be sure to come up with a decent locking mechanism.
Why?

I was driving WAY too fast for conditions in my old Ford a while back and rear ended 4 door Oldsmobile. I was going about 65 on impact (the Olds was going about 3 to 5 mph) and the seat belts did their job fine in keeping me and the seat back from flying forward.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote