The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2022, 02:24 AM   #1
D-n-Tyke

Ride quality, Air Suspension vs Spring Suspension

I apologize, I have searched and didn't really find an answer to this question.

Toying with the idea of adding air suspension to the list of future upgrades. But I realized I have never really understood how air suspension impacts ride quality. What has your guys experience been when switching from springed suspension to air suspension. Did it stay the same? Get better? Get worse? Feel different? Love to hear your guys'z experiences.
D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 09:50 AM   #2
Accelo

Re: Ride quality, Air Suspension vs Spring Suspension

The original springs were progressive wound. That means the first inch will deflect with less load than the rest of the spring. So the small bumps are taken up easily while it doesn't affect the load carrying ability much. The lowering springs are not typically, or ever, progress wound. So if you go the typical lowering route with shorter coils and spindles your truck will ride rougher than it would have been stock. The none-progressive springs keep the trucks from bottoming out on the rubber bumpers as easily as it would otherwise. You could conceivable cut the side of the coil without the progressive wind and not affect the ride but you will likely bottom out easier. Most just purchase the springs.

If you have a GMC or lief spring options truck you could flip the axle to the top and not affect the ride much.

I can't speak for air bags. Most say the ride is superior to springs. Obviously when you compress the bags the pressure goes up and they become self regulating so to speak. And you can pick your ride height. The alignment has to be a compromise for the same reason, height changes.

I believe the difference comes down to cost. Air ride is going to cost more and to buy and install. Especially if you go with the ride height sensors. Would love to here from the guys that have installed the air ride system and give it a cost comparison. I have seen ads for the complete front suspension with lowering spindles And a narrowed track width for driving and turning low. Wheel position has been moved forward 1" to center the wheel in the wheel opening. Upgraded steering to power rack and pinion. The price is $4500.00. Still no lines, controls or compressor and it includes nothing for the rear. Costs go up quickly. I see these on higher end builds for a reason.

A lower cost option on Amazon here;
$1,249.00
https://www.amazon.com/airmaxxx-Susp.../dp/B01MR1CSU1
One review lists the customer service as crap. And goes into detail. The only other list it as Works good."
Cheers

Last edited by Accelo; 07-23-2022 at 09:59 AM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:35 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

I had air bags on all four corners of my Burban. A basic system with a 4 manual control valve block and 4 guages. The truck would ride very good but the devil was in the details.

The reality of air bags is they are very pressure sensitive. For example the truck would ride great with 85 psi in each front bag but, if the pressure drops to 80 psi the ride is noticeably poorer. Go to 90 psi and the ride was hard and bouncy.

Additionally you have to engineer your ride height to match the exact psi your truck needs to ride great. Unfortunately you won't know what psi works best until you drive the truck. That's where systems like RideTech are worth the money.

With a manual system you are always having to add air to the bags to keep the ride quality. Usually air had to be added after the truck was parked once on the highway it was rare to need to add air.

This leads to the whole additional cost of a computer controller. Then do you go with a pressure sensor for each bag or do you go with a ride height sensor on each corner? Each has its plusses and negatives. This is one area it appears you get what you pay for. There are lots of sad stories about cheap controllers that don't work and have no customer support.

After several years and at least 20k miles I removed the front bags and went to springs. I still have bags in the rear.

These are just my opinions and I hope they help your decision. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 11:31 AM   #4
bMr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I had air bags on all four corners of my Burban. A basic system with a 4 manual control valve block and 4 guages. The truck would ride very good but the devil was in the details.

The reality of air bags is they are very pressure sensitive. For example the truck would ride great with 85 psi in each front bag but, if the pressure drops to 80 psi the ride is noticeably poorer. Go to 90 psi and the ride was hard and bouncy.

Additionally you have to engineer your ride height to match the exact psi your truck needs to ride great. Unfortunately you won't know what psi works best until you drive the truck. That's where systems like RideTech are worth the money.

With a manual system you are always having to add air to the bags to keep the ride quality. Usually air had to be added after the truck was parked once on the highway it was rare to need to add air.

This leads to the whole additional cost of a computer controller. Then do you go with a pressure sensor for each bag or do you go with a ride height sensor on each corner? Each has its plusses and negatives. This is one area it appears you get what you pay for. There are lots of sad stories about cheap controllers that don't work and have no customer support.

After several years and at least 20k miles I removed the front bags and went to springs. I still have bags in the rear.

These are just my opinions and I hope they help your decision. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
^^^^ This.

I'm also on bags, using four schrader valves and a tape measure to get the stance just 'so' (usually a check every two months and an adjust when hauling). Compared to 50 year old springs and new shocks, the ride quality is far better and the adjustability is great. As said above though, the devil is in the details.

I went the manual route for cost, but also so I could pick and choose components from the vendors I wanted. This allowed me to use Porterbuilt goodies in some places, Western drop spindles, and then take advantage of sourcing more generic hardware when on special (back when there were some).

I enjoyed the process and I learned a lot....but maybe i didn't end up saving quite as much as I'd imagined. This is where Ridetech and others have an advantage.

They also have an advantage in engineering everything to work together from the start, with minimal trial/error. For example, the interaction between bag pressure and shock valving is pretty noticeable; after buying four shocks based on research here and elsewhere, I'd probably choose a different model to better suit my application. Ridetech et al aleady have this figured out. Now, it's been 5+ years and I still haven't gone back and bought a better shock, but I know I'm leaving some rebound quality on the table. Still a far, far better ride than worn out springs.

All that said, would I do air again? Maybe? Absent $3k controller with auto height adjustment as system is more finnicky than I like. However, a bare bones system with bags, lines and schraders is really tough to beat on cost and offers advantages over stock, including ride quality.
bMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:20 AM   #5
Big Kev-O

I went with bags so I could sit nice and low when parked then lift it up a bit when driving. I have Airlift Dominator 2600 bags on all four corners and KYB GR2 shock. Typically drive with 60-65 lbs in the front and 20-25 in the rear. Rides nice and smooth over dips and bumps. The rear may have been better off with the smaller Airlift 2500 bags because that would have allowed me to run higher pressure at ride height in the rear. Accuair makes some nice components if you have the $$$.

If you want a smooth ride bags are the way to go. If you you want a truck that can speed through windy roads springs may be best.
Posted via Mobile Device
Big Kev-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:22 PM   #6
jimijam00

Don't forget shocks have something to do with ride quality.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote