The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2021, 05:54 PM   #1
4thgencreamsicle

Difference between 3 & 4 row radiator mounts

I’m trying to figure out if I need to find/buy different mounts for the radiator I got. We went with the 4 row copper/brass from Summit (Summit Racing® Classic OEM Radiators SUM-382006)

I can’t seem to find a simple “the 4 row mounts are x inches wide/long” comment or diagram anywhere. I really don’t want to order something I already have.

These, top and bottom are 4”x1”. Any help is much appreciated.

What exactly is the size difference between the 3 & 4 row mounts?
Attached Images

4thgencreamsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:26 PM   #2
weq92f

Re: Difference between 3 & 4 row radiator mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thgencreamsicle View Post
I’m trying to figure out if I need to find/buy different mounts for the radiator I got. We went with the 4 row copper/brass from Summit (Summit Racing® Classic OEM Radiators SUM-382006)

I can’t seem to find a simple “the 4 row mounts are x inches wide/long” comment or diagram anywhere. I really don’t want to order something I already have.

Pretty sure you've got the 4-row upper mounts there. The Summit pictures of that rad look about right too.

Just measured mine and they're 4"x1" ( pad area ) as well around my 4-core unit.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...rence&post=#21

-klb
Attached Images

99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold

Last edited by weq92f; 02-05-2021 at 07:48 PM.
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:18 PM   #3
4thgencreamsicle

Thanks a bunch! If someone has different info, let me know.

The thread you linked to was the closest I got to good information on it and was the reason I knew to check if I needed something bigger than what I’ve already got here. Now to find pads that actually fit. The ones that we bought from Inline Tube are too thin top to bottom, but they were the closest we could find to looking like they fit without having to buy a whole kit. Again, nothing when you’re buying these gives dimensions either. For a newbie like me it’s just frustrating. So thanks again!!!
Old 02-05-2021, 10:45 PM   #4
RustyPile

This is what you need, top and bottom pads/mounts..

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...rts/17181.html

Listing shows "coming soon", but they have them in stock now.. I just received mine last week...
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:47 AM   #5
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Now I was all set to pull my original 3 core rad, thought strange too as its original and I have factory A/C on my truck and thought because of the A/C the factory would have put a 4 core, and have it rebuilt into a 4 core but this Summit one has me thinking.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 03:15 PM   #6
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Now I was all set to pull my original 3 core rad, thought strange too as its original and I have factory A/C on my truck and thought because of the A/C the factory would have put a 4 core, and have it rebuilt into a 4 core but this Summit one has me thinking.
Don't overthink it too much.. You'll get a headache...
Old 02-06-2021, 03:24 PM   #7
Ryanz

Quote:

Good question - mine looks like it originally had the 4 row, but maybe someone put a 3 in it? I heard 3 row came with most 6’s but maybe I’m wrong on that. Is it possible it came from factory with wrong brackets? My Blazer looks proper and has original 4 row.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Ryanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:14 PM   #8
4thgencreamsicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post

Listing shows "coming soon", but they have them in stock now.. I just received mine last week...
So is that confirmation based on the sizes I gave that the mounts I have are for a 3 row?
Old 02-06-2021, 08:22 PM   #9
RustyPile

Quote:
So is that confirmation based on the sizes I gave that the mounts I have are for a 3 row?
I had a 3 core radiator in my truck. It wouldn't cool my "warmed up" 454 BBC in slow traffic. I replaced it with a 4 core that is also 2 inches (approx) wider.. I ordered those mounts in the link along with the radiator.. The old mounts wouldn't fit the new radiator (too short), while the new ones did.

On the old lower mounts, I had to drill out a rivet on each side to remove them.. I used pan head bolts and nyloc nuts to fasten the new lower mounts in place. I also have twin electric fans on a custom metal shroud.. I apologize, but I'm not removing parts just to provide a measurement.. All I can say is those mounts in the link I posted will fit a 4 core radiator..

Did you go to that site and read the product details? It states they are specifically needed for installing a 4 core in place of a 3 core... Have you contacted Summit and asked them which mounts you need for their radiator?
Old 02-06-2021, 11:58 PM   #10
4thgencreamsicle

Quote:
I had a 3 core radiator in my truck. It wouldn't cool my "warmed up" 454 BBC in slow traffic. I replaced it with a 4 core that is also 2 inches (approx) wider.. I ordered those mounts in the link along with the radiator.. The old mounts wouldn't fit the new radiator (too short), while the new ones did.
Did you go to that site and read the product details? It states they are specifically needed for installing a 4 core in place of a 3 core... Have you contacted Summit and asked them which mounts you need for their radiator?
Yep, I did go to the site & I absolutely appreciate the link because it may be exactly what we need. I get not wanting to pull parts. 😂 Just hoping someone might know off the top of their head. You know?

Neither one of us remembers if it was 3 or 4 row that came out of it (only that we knew we wanted a 4 row to go in) and we’re kicking ourselves for not double checking when we left it at the radiator shop. The current mounts and old rubber pads seem to actually fit well, the old rubber is just super hard on one side and on the other, where tranny fluid leaked it is super swollen.

I’m really just trying to know what we had/have and not buy something I don’t need, but the hubby is like, just buy the mounts (that you linked to) and if it means we have extra parts then we have extra. So that’s where we are.

I really do appreciate everyone’s help. We’re trying to get her running on a shoestring budget while still not going totally Roadkill on it.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:58 AM   #11
Accelo

If you have a replacement Core Support the lower steel mounts will not fit without modifications. As I understand it the inner lip was bent down from the factory if you had the large radiator. I attempted to bend mind down but had not luck. Might have worked better if it was on a steel floor. So I ended up making a slit on each side of the lower support so it was set down and it could be bolted up.

I have never actually paid much attention to this detail untill I attempted to install mine. I did compare it to the original Core Support. It didn't have the bent lip but my truck was a 6 cylinder. I don't believe the short 3 core supports are produced aftermarket. They just expect you to use the 4 core ones on the narrow radiator. More information they leave out of the catalog descriptions.

I often doubt any of the resellers have ever worked on a truck much less a classic 67-72.

A not so good picture of the radiator almost installed. Mocking up the hoses. LS1 Camaro Accessories.

Rick
Attached Images

Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #12
4thgencreamsicle

Quote:

Alright, so I ordered these and even though they weren’t supposed to be here for another 4 weeks I just got them yesterday. And...not what I need. I’ll add a pic, but they’re about a half in short and definitely won’t fit on the radiator where my current ones do, they just need new rubber pads (the pad in the pic isn’t bad, but the 3 others are toast).
Called up Classic Industries and I gotta say their customer service was great. He double checked measurements for me to make sure they hadn’t mislabeled the part they sent. They don’t sell anything in the size I need so he hooked me up with their supplier’s number in case I needed something they just don’t order from them and got me a return authorization.

Called Summit about what was needed for this radiator and after a really long hold and explaining the size discrepancy a few times, the customer service lady finally talked with a tech and I was given a part number. Fingers crossed the pads should be here in a couple of days. If it works I’ll update with the part number.

So, I actually DO have the 4 row brackets or retainers (as Classic Ind. calls them) and now I am just waiting on new pads.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2021, 04:28 PM   #13
RustyPile

Quote:
Alright, so I ordered these and even though they weren’t supposed to be here for another 4 weeks I just got them yesterday. And...not what I need. I’ll add a pic, but they’re about a half in short and definitely won’t fit on the radiator where my current ones do, they just need new rubber pads (the pad in the pic isn’t bad, but the 3 others are toast).
Called up Classic Industries and I gotta say their customer service was great. He double checked measurements for me to make sure they hadn’t mislabeled the part they sent. They don’t sell anything in the size I need so he hooked me up with their supplier’s number in case I needed something they just don’t order from them and got me a return authorization.

Called Summit about what was needed for this radiator and after a really long hold and explaining the size discrepancy a few times, the customer service lady finally talked with a tech and I was given a part number. Fingers crossed the pads should be here in a couple of days. If it works I’ll update with the part number.

So, I actually DO have the 4 row brackets or retainers (as Classic Ind. calls them) and now I am just waiting on new pads.
Comparing my new brackets (retainers) to the ones in your picture.. Your new brackets are NOT the same as mine.. Mine are the same size as your old ones.. I'm not sure just what happened with your order, but it appears that, as you stated, you were sent parts for a three core radiator..

If those from Summit don't work for you, try these.. https://www.classicparts.com/1967-72...ctinfo/78-754/
Old 03-08-2021, 04:44 PM   #14
4thgencreamsicle

Today I received the radiator mounting pads from the Truck Shop and they were a perfect fit!!!

Their website isn’t super user friendly, but definitely not the worst. I ordered Wednesday and they were already waiting for me at the post office this morning (Monday) so they probably got here before the weekend.

Item # 67-10302
Manufactured by Counterpoint
Description: With A/C, or 4 core heavy-duty radiator 68-72
At the writing of this post they’re $7 for a pair and I pad $10 s/h
Www.truckandcarshop.com
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2021, 02:02 AM   #15
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Wrong Border, Brother. If you want a 4 tier core Radiator, you need to be on our Southern Border.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:24 AM   #16
dave6672

Here's a pic showing the total length of a set for a three row radiator (the shorter ones).
Attached Images

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 07:57 PM   #17
KevinK7

I realize this thread is about a year old, but I thought to add.

As a preventive measure, I decided to pull the radiator from my '68 Utility.
I (wrongly) assumed since it's a factory born 396 it was a 4 core since the truck is all original unmolested, yet it turns out it is in fact a 3 core.

First, the part# on the rubber mount(s) is 3889073 (as photos show).
I took some measurements of the PADS, showing they are about 3/4" wide, by approximately 3 3/4" long. This would indicate these are correct for a factory 3-core (or 2 core) radiator. Noting that on my radiator tanks, there physically is no room where these tanks could accommodate a 4-row core.

I'm including additional information below, but I'm still wondering...any others out there with an original Big Block with a 3-core radiator?

Additional info on radiator pad fitment:
In a nutshell, from what I see, if the PADS measure around 3/4 " wide x 3 3/4" long, it's my belief they will only work for a 2 or 3 core radiator.
I believe the 4 core pads are about 1" wide and 4" long

With that said, I was talking with MrMudd (Greg) where on his truck ( a '72?) the radiator is a 3-core, yet the tanks are wide enough, where they could accommodate a 4-row core.
Many may already know this, and again, I'm simply adding information to a thread I found useful, but the tank measurement is important when considering fitment for a 3 or 4 core radiator with the respective pad mounts. In Greg's example his radiator is (technically speaking) a 3-core, YET his radiator must be mounted with the FOUR core mounts/pads since the TANK is wide enough where his core could actually be a 3 or 4 core.

Kevin

Last edited by KevinK7; 03-21-2022 at 08:02 PM. Reason: add photos
KevinK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:56 PM   #18
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK7 View Post
I realize this thread is about a year old, but I thought to add.

As a preventive measure, I decided to pull the radiator from my '68 Utility.
I (wrongly) assumed since it's a factory born 396 it was a 4 core since the truck is all original unmolested, yet it turns out it is in fact a 3 core.

First, the part# on the rubber mount(s) is 3889073 (as photos show).
I took some measurements of the PADS, showing they are about 3/4" wide, by approximately 3 3/4" long. This would indicate these are correct for a factory 3-core (or 2 core) radiator. Noting that on my radiator tanks, there physically is no room where these tanks could accommodate a 4-row core.

I'm including additional information below, but I'm still wondering...any others out there with an original Big Block with a 3-core radiator?

Additional info on radiator pad fitment:
In a nutshell, from what I see, if the PADS measure around 3/4 " wide x 3 3/4" long, it's my belief they will only work for a 2 or 3 core radiator.
I believe the 4 core pads are about 1" wide and 4" long

With that said, I was talking with MrMudd (Greg) where on his truck ( a '72?) the radiator is a 3-core, yet the tanks are wide enough, where they could accommodate a 4-row core.
Many may already know this, and again, I'm simply adding information to a thread I found useful, but the tank measurement is important when considering fitment for a 3 or 4 core radiator with the respective pad mounts. In Greg's example his radiator is (technically speaking) a 3-core, YET his radiator must be mounted with the FOUR core mounts/pads since the TANK is wide enough where his core could actually be a 3 or 4 core.

Kevin
hi Kevin,you already have seen these pics and have this info but it might help someone else.you're correct.my 72 big block c-20 truck with A/C has a 3 row rad core,from the factory in tanks wide enough for a 4 row core.the top clamps that hold the rubber cushion on the rad and bolt to the rad support are 6 1/4 inches overall and the portion of the saddle with the cushion is almost 4 inches.i still have the core I removed and the old 3 row core is identical to the new one.you can see in the picture of the newly soldered together rad,the empty space on the rad core flange where a 4th row would be on a 4 row core.take care.Greg
Attached Images

mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 07:15 AM   #19
KevinK7

Thanks for adding those pics Greg

This forum has been a treasure trove of information, and this thread is one of those cases.
I was going to consider a 4-core radiator, but (now I realize) I would need to also change not just the rubber pads, but of course the mounts too. I swore I wouldn't worry about staying 'original' with this truck, but darn it lol I am
Old 03-22-2022, 09:05 AM   #20
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK7 View Post
Thanks for adding those pics Greg

This forum has been a treasure trove of information, and this thread is one of those cases.
I was going to consider a 4-core radiator, but (now I realize) I would need to also change not just the rubber pads, but of course the mounts too. I swore I wouldn't worry about staying 'original' with this truck, but darn it lol I am
yes sir,i thought about a 4 row core since my hardware and tanks could handle it but decided if it lived in California going back and forth to Idaho hauling a camper with a fat motor and A/C and cooled,it would do fine here without having to work hard.i did drive the truck last fall,before I took it apart.it ran fine and cooled,no problem at all.have no fear about your truck heating up if you stay with a 3 row,nothing wrong with that.you know how to find me,holler if I can help.take care.Greg
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote