The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #1
wthompson

First time painter need help with easiest color

This is my son and my first time painting a truck and we are almost to the topcoat stage and we need a color so I figured I would ask you all which you think the easiest color is to paint. We are going to do a single stage.
wthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #2
CST10

Re: First time painter need help with easiest color

Light colors such as white are easier than darker colors.
Brutus the 1998 Camaro Z28, 33,500 original miles, LS1, 519 RWHP/497 RWTQ.
Member of the Louisiana Classic Truck Club, LCTC
Member of the Louisiana C10 Club
Member of the Baton Rouge Drifters Car Club
CST10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
CC69Rat

White, no metallic. By far the easiest color for the first all over job.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:26 PM   #4
sbrban

You're brave. No color is easier than another. Single stage is less forgiving than a base/clear finish in my opinion. If you really want single stage then go for a beige or light color, not white. White overspray will throw you off when spraying,imo.
Good luck nonetheless .
I would suggest that you spray a fender or two off the truck for practice before spraying the whole vehicle.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #5
hugger6933

Base coat Clear coat type paint is more forgiving in my opinion. I would say white, tan to buckskin even red if your set on having it.
I've given a LOT of advice on here and a good portion of it to first timers, so go back and look through some of my posts I'm sure the questions you may have have been asked of me before. But if need be send me a PM or ask away and I'll try to help any I can. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:18 AM   #6
wthompson

Thanks all for the help and buckskin i will look over your post and definitely ask you ome questions
Old 01-07-2016, 12:19 AM   #7
wthompson

I mean hugger
Old 01-07-2016, 07:45 AM   #8
Grumpy old man

just a note to the guys painting metallics for the first time .paint all your pieces in the same orientation as they will be on the truck ,meaning don't lay your doors/fenders/bedsides flat when spraying you can end up with 2 different colors on reassembly from the metallic laying down different angle from the cab .I've seen it happen more than a few times .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #9
farmallboy15

One word of advise: make sure to get a quality set of paint guns. Not the harbor freight or northern tool special. I'm using the devilibris starting line and they do everything that I want them to, including laying down an awesome finish. Also make sure your primer coats are perfectly smooth or you will see the bumps and rolls.

70 GMC K2500
82 GMC K3500
09 GMC 2500HD 4x4
farmallboy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #10
cooperhw

Like has been said already, "lighter shades will not show as much variation" on passes being inconsistent.
Go onto Sata Jet's youtube videos on their SataJet 4000 paint gun, and there is a really good tutorial on how to adjust your fan spray pattern. Watch it a few times and always practice the spray pattern before laying down the paint.
Here's pics of the 68 I have been working on this past year. Shot the beige tan and white top in my back yard. Single stage PPG paint. Sand and buff and it looks great.
Attached Images

Last edited by cooperhw; 01-07-2016 at 11:05 AM.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #11
wthompson

Looks good cooperh and thanks for the advice. You all have made me think this through a little more.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #12
CC69Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrban View Post
You're brave. No color is easier than another. Single stage is less forgiving than a base/clear finish in my opinion. If you really want single stage then go for a beige or light color, not white. White overspray will throw you off when spraying,imo.
Good luck nonetheless .
I would suggest that you spray a fender or two off the truck for practice before spraying the whole vehicle.
In no way challenging you, but just curious what you mean by 'White overspray will throw you off when spraying" How would that be different than say . beige ? Are you talking about the primer color vs. the color coat? If you have white primer and spray white paint over it? Just trying to learn from the pros ..

1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
Old 01-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #13
tjc

My advise is : don't try to shoot the whole truck at once. Shoot the box and then cover that and shoot the cab in a couple days. My friend painted a 32 ford once and it came out looking like a golf ball ( so much orange peel ), but after a week of wet sanding it looked great> Good Luck
tjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #14
Fldawg

painting is an art, you have to have plenty of patience and a first time painter should not attempt silver, ask me how I know, I can't spray silver in a rattle can
Old 01-07-2016, 04:27 PM   #15
wthompson

What do you guys think about gray?
Old 01-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #16
hugger6933

Just about any grey is gonna have metallic in it maybe except a dove grey and that is so 1984. One is talking about painting portions cause that car looked like a golf ball well if the air had been adjusted and he got close to right speed and distance from the panel it wouldn't have . That is why you take the time to spray a couple of practice panels or at least have somebody show you a few things.
There are some on here that are telling you what not to try because you haven't done it before or they knew somebody that knew somebody that tried it once and it was bad.I have owned a body shop since 1987 when I just a kid. Let me tell you a few things:
1 Don't be afraid to bend it, you can straiten it out later
2 Don't be afraid to cut it off you can weld it back on
3 Don't be afraid to spray it you can sand and respray.[after it dries of course]
Now some of the ones that tell you are from experience the ones that are given the good advise sounds like they know whats up. Now if you never painted before and didn't try because of that, we would all be riding in some ugly stuff. Now I don't mean to come off harsh here but I don't think the ones trying to talk you out of it have done much paint and body work in the past.[refer to #3]
I'll be glad to help you with any questions about this aspect or any other of your build. I know right about now your feeling special with that offer but not really cause I offer that to anyone here needing my help and have since I came on here and[some] realize i knew what I was talking about.good luck and happy sanding. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:23 PM   #17
CC69Rat

Quote:
Now I don't mean to come off harsh here but I don't think the ones trying to talk you out of it have done much paint and body work in the past.[refer to #3]..
Out of character for you there Jim. Not even sure what to say but I'm going to leave it alone.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:29 PM   #18
NoNeck

Quote:
Now I don't mean to come off harsh here but I don't think the ones trying to talk you out of it have done much paint and body work in the past.[refer to #3]
Jim, I really hope I am reading this wrong, but my son (CC69Rat) who posted his advice (refer to #3) has become very talented in body work and paint. The only reason he doesn't do more paint and body work is that he doesn't have a professional shop... it's pretty hard to paint with the wife complaining about the smell.

Chad may not be a professional, but he is certainly not someone who is hasn't gained experience from guys like you on the forums. I have attached a very few examples of Chad doing exactly what you say he hasn't done.

POP
Attached Images

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #19
tjc

Are you starting with bare metal or a repaint? It does make a difference.
tjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:04 PM   #20
Dustmaker65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
Out of character for you there Jim. Not even sure what to say but I'm going to leave it alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeck View Post
Jim, I really hope I am reading this wrong, but my son (CC69Rat) who posted his advice (refer to #3) has become very talented in body work and paint. The only reason he doesn't do more paint and body work is that he doesn't have a professional shop... it's pretty hard to paint with the wife complaining about the smell.

Chad may not be a professional, but he is certainly not someone who is hasn't gained experience from guys like you on the forums. I have attached a very few examples of Chad doing exactly what you say he hasn't done.

POP
Guys, I read it as his number 3 option....

3 Don't be afraid to spray it you can sand and respray.[after it dries of course]
Old 01-07-2016, 08:18 PM   #21
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeck View Post

POP
Pretty sure you are reading it wrong as dustmaker suggested.
Hugger6933 always seems more than helpful from what I have seen on here.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #22
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustmaker65 View Post
Guys, I read it as his number 3 option....

pretty sure that's what he meant too

I've painted probably 6 or so cars, I've been well pleased with how they all turned out. Here's what I've learned along the way

I think the lights are easiest as well, esp white, It hides bodywork flaws, and later touchup or resprays if you find you missed something.

I think base/clear is the way to go, bugs/trash/runs/dry sand it out. I guess you can with single stage too, but I just think the base/clear looks better with less effort and upkeep down the road.

When you think your ready for paint, go back over it an block it again, put down a guide coat of something to make sure your not wavy. To me thats the number 1 giveaway of a shade tree paint job when you look down the bedside and its wavy.

When you think your done let it sit for a few days or a week, in the sun during the day if you can, to let any shrinking of primer/filler show up, and hit it again before spraying the color.

Prob get some static over this one, but Ive used cheap guns with no problems, just get used to how they spray and get your speed down before hitting the car, even harbor freights.

Its all in the bodywork, you spend months/years getting one straight and ready, then you wake up one morning start spraying color, and by the time you eat supper its done.
junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:28 PM   #23
CC69Rat

Ok - no worries. Maybe I read it wrong that's why I was like.. wha? That's not like Jim.

I've never claimed to be a pro painter and have a sincere respect for Jim. He tough me a lot. I am 42yrs old and I have been around cars all my life. I have built several custom Hot wheels, competition level model cars and been in the show circuit for 35+ yrs. I know good paintwork when I see it. Yes, I would paint professionally if I had a place to do it. I love to spray and even block sand

Old 01-07-2016, 08:42 PM   #24
NoNeck

Ahhh... that makes sense. So I did read it wrong.

Jim, please accept my apology.

POP

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #25
KY_GMC

My $.02 from a first time painter:

I started on my project 2-1/2 years ago and started spraying sealer and primer as I worked on various body panels. I didn't know what I was doing. The gun was clogging, the primer was coming out in clumps, it was not laying on the panel like it should, the primer was dry before it hit the panel! But I kept at it. I read a lot on this website and others. There is a lot of good advice from professionals and it is very much appreciated.

It wasn't until I got to the last panel that needed to be primed when I figured out how to get my gun setup and lay down a smooth even coat. I wanted to spray all day long with the results that I was getting.

Name:  DSC_0089.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  50.0 KB

From there, things started to fall into place and by the time I was ready to lay the paint down, I felt very confident that I could get results that were acceptable. This is from someone who has never done body work in their life!
I wasn't building a show car, but I wanted it to look good and say that I did it on my own. I've got a good 5 foot paint job and I am very happy with it.

Name:  DSC_0083.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  58.9 KB

There is some orange peel, I had to cut and buff, the clear is not perfect in all areas, I missed some color on an edge, but it is a truck to drive. I am happy withe results and if I want to fix some of these areas to make it look better, I know how to do it now.

All I can say is learn as much as you can as you go, research on this forum (there are a lot of good guys here...can't name them all since I will be sure to miss someone) and others, talk to the guys at your paint store, and just get out there and try it. When you start seeing the results, you will know when you are ready to paint.

Choosing the paint color is way down the road at this point. Start learning about prepping the panel, what epoxy primers to use, find a good body filler that is not going to shrink or produce bubbles, find a high build sandable primer, and then worry about the paint.

Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592157
Engine Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592233
KY_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote