The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
Jahloha

For Gramps (1970 C20 RestoMod)

Hey Forum:

THE STORY

Long time ghost reader, just turned member here. I am happy to finally participate and learn from all of our knowledgable members.

Long story short, in 1969 my grandpa bought a $1.00 raffle ticket from a coworkers daughter and six months later, he received a call informing him he had won a brand new 1970 Chevrolet C20. Thinking it was a joke, he hung up. They fortunately called back multiple times, got his address, and the truck was delivered that week.

My father was not around, so my grandpa took on those responsibilities. This truck is what we would use to drive around, do work in the mountains, and everything in between. His life is wrapping up and he finally made the call and asked me if I wanted to have the truck. I flew back to CA, picked it up, made the trek back to Utah and now have my dream truck in front of my house.

THE HOPE
I want this to be my daily driver, capable of going 75 on the highway, but also be able to tow the occasional decent sized load. I also want to be able to toss my wife the keys and have zero doubt that she can drive and be safe, no breakdowns, safety issues, etc.

MY BACKGROUND
My grandpa passed on a deep knowledge in electrical, carpentry, and problem solving skills to me, which I hope to use in this restore. But I know I do not have many of the tools necessary for some of the work. This will be a challenge that will be overcome depending on help I can get from friends, cost to farm out the particular project, and how much time my family can allow me.

YOUR HELP
From your experience on our trucks, if you were to give a brief (two or three bullet points) of projects you would for sure farm out, what would those be? Also, if I were to ask a shop to help me with the restore, how can I reduce the cost of that (i.e., taking the engine apart for them, the panels, etc)?

THE PICS
I have more, but not on my computer. I am excited to share the development of this project, in memory of my grandpa.

Name:  photo-3.jpg
Views: 2663
Size:  47.0 KB
Name:  photo-4.jpg
Views: 2591
Size:  41.3 KB

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread

Last edited by Jahloha; 11-08-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Jahloha is offline   Reply With Quote