The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2023, 12:38 PM   #1
Chaparralman1974

Dana 44 Axle Compatibility

Can anyone shed some light on on the compatibility between the open and closed knuckle dana 44 axles? I understand that the carrier and ring and pinion can swap between the axles, but what about the axle shafts, spindles, hubs etc. Are those interchangeable between the different axles as well? The reason I ask, is that I am now having second thoughts on swapping in my open knuckle dana44. I know that it is a better axle, but the deeper that I go into my restoration, the more I want to keep it 100% original as possible. I do want to keep the Spicer big hubs and will go disc brakes but I am starting to think that I want the closed knuckle axle now.

Clay
Build Thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841272
Chaparralman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:47 PM   #2
b454rat

Re: Dana 44 Axle Compatibility

I don't think much if anything is swappable other than the gears/carrier....
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 07:28 PM   #3
cbeerman

The axles, hubs and spindles are different

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567166

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567022
cbeerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 07:41 PM   #4
Chaparralman1974

Ok, thanks everyone. It looks like it would be way more work that it is worth.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:34 PM   #5
jeffahart

You want to go with the closed knuckle with disc? I am opposite, I would rather have an open knuckle with drums. Oh, wait; I did have that. 1970 axles were drum with an open knuckle... a one year axle... don't buy one!

If I were you I would go with a later axle and be happy. Disc with a closed knucke? The only person that's going to know it's a closed knuckle is you. And a few gear heads. These are large production number vehicles anyway.

j
Old 03-23-2023, 08:56 AM   #6
Chaparralman1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
You want to go with the closed knuckle with disc? I am opposite, I would rather have an open knuckle with drums. Oh, wait; I did have that. 1970 axles were drum with an open knuckle... a one year axle... don't buy one!

If I were you I would go with a later axle and be happy. Disc with a closed knucke? The only person that's going to know it's a closed knuckle is you. And a few gear heads. These are large production number vehicles anyway.

j

Yeah, you are right. I know that it isn't a rare vette or bugatti or anything. I guess my OCD just kicked in when I was out staring at it the other day. LOL

I will stay with the open knuckle 44 and just keep the closed knuckle in the back yard for now. Who knows, maybe I will restore it at some point for kicks, but at least I still have it. :-)

Clay
Old 03-23-2023, 02:49 PM   #7
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparralman1974 View Post
Yeah, you are right. I know that it isn't a rare vette or bugatti or anything. I guess my OCD just kicked in when I was out staring at it the other day. LOL

I will stay with the open knuckle 44 and just keep the closed knuckle in the back yard for now. Who knows, maybe I will restore it at some point for kicks, but at least I still have it. :-)

Clay
I know, it's really hard to make these decisions. What to do when you have your hands on it. I would find the decision to put that rockwell back in a tough one also. But the main thing is, you're capable and can fix stuff. My driving factor in decison making is always parts availability, maintainability and durability... kind of in that order.

Great work, I snooped on your build thread!

j
Old 03-23-2023, 03:34 PM   #8
Chaparralman1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
I know, it's really hard to make these decisions. What to do when you have your hands on it. I would find the decision to put that rockwell back in a tough one also. But the main thing is, you're capable and can fix stuff. My driving factor in decison making is always parts availability, maintainability and durability... kind of in that order.

Great work, I snooped on your build thread!

j

Thanks much! I appreciate it.

Yeah, if this was going to be a daily driver, or anything that I would be using to haul anything other than an ice cream cone I would ditch the Rockwell, Eaton, the SM-420, and a bunch of other stuff. But I really wanted something that was like what I drove as a kid so it is really more for Nostalgic reasons that I am keeping a lot of it. The Spicer big hubs for instance was what I had on my very first truck (a 1973 K20), so having them on this one was a must have for me. The same thing with the Rockwell.....I wanted the funky weird shifter for the 4WD just because.

Ultimately, I have 2 T-221 transfer cases (I picked one up on FB marketplace for $100) so I should be ok for now. Besides, it is actually kind of fun tearing into it and seeing if I can make it work. I actually just a NOS input shaft drive gear bushing (the last in the country I believe) from Weller Truck Parts (Thank you again to cbeerman). Along with the rebuild kit that I bought so hopefully over a few beers this weekend I will get it all back together and in the chassis.

Clay
Old 03-30-2023, 02:55 PM   #9
Short 3/4

Hey Clay,
For what it’s worth I too am kind of obsessive about closed knuckles on old 4x4’s. While I’m not a paint daubs and matching numbers kind of restorer (my truck is definitely not as it left the factory in 65) whenever I see an old one I always check to see if it still has the original axle in front. To me that’s the difference between an old survivor or just old sheet metal on top of a new truck.

While I personally have never had a problem with the performance of 3/4 ton drum brakes, I see you are pretty committed to a disc swap. Because of that I think it would be pretty cool to do a closed knuckle disc conversion. The info and parts are out there and from seeing the quality of your work so far you definitely have the skills.

While your era truck is not terribly rare, keep in mind the 420/221 married combo was a one year only thing, and most of that body style were made in the later disc brake years. Also, don’t let anyone tell you the running gear of that truck is unreliable. As someone who has been using this old junk for hard work and play for many decades, I can tell you that is just not true.

Anyway, whatever you decide, keep up the good work, do what makes YOU happy, and above all have fun
Tom
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote