The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2002, 10:17 PM   #1
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

Unhappy Truck stalling in Hot Weather, any suggestions??

Well, my truck seems to be very unhappy with the 30+ deg C weather we're getting here, and my truck stalls after a stint of driving. When the day cools down, I have no problems, but in the heat it stalls. I've let the truck idle for periods of time, and never had it stall on me, but if that sun's shining, the truck keeps stalling on me after about 1/2 hour of driving.

After a stall, I have no problems starting it up again, and if I drive it in 1st, or second while keeping on the gas, it seems to be fine. When I hit third though, and the rev's are low, that's when the stall seems to come.

When I switch the fuel over to CNG, it's like riding a MAD rodeo bull, in all gears

Any suggestions? The air filter might need a changing, but it's not too horrible. I should change the spark plugs, they're in need! Thing is, would this fix anything? Remember, the truck runs great in cooler weather (late afternoon, 5ish) but at midday, it's growly!
Old 07-09-2002, 10:24 PM   #2
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

I was also wondering about the following picture. You will see the end of the air filter canister is set so that it's sucking in the nice HOT air from the engine, and the sun beaming down on the hood. Would this be half of my problem?
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2002, 10:26 PM   #3
1968 C-10Cowboy

Sounds like vapor lock to me......I could be wrong though
Old 07-09-2002, 11:20 PM   #4
Super Chevy

sounds like vaperlock to me too,thats when the gas gets hot and turns to vaper in the lines...
Super Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 11:28 PM   #5
busterwivell

I agree. Look at your fuel line routing. I'll bet you are close to a heat source and causes a vapor lock in extreme heat.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 11:41 PM   #6
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

Hey, thanks for the replys guys, I'll have to check that out! There's nothing worse than having this happen to you while you're driving down the highway!

This might be a memory for some of you out there, it sure as heck was for me! (pic below)
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2002, 11:59 AM   #7
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

fuel pump might just be getting weak, dad's 67 used to act that way 'till I changed the fuel pump for him.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 01:19 PM   #8
jku72

The best solution I have done is wrap the fuel lines in the engine compartment with insulation, the keep the heat out. While I used aluminum foil, perhaps a more beautiful material could be used. This vapor lock is common, but also you might check the fuel filter, as it will give similar symptoms if dirty, and almost nobody ever checks them, including me. The fuel pump weakness idea is possible, but I myself think vapor lock, and or a dirty fuel filter are prime suspects.

68 C10 burb
42 Willys MB
46 Dodge WF-32 1.5 ton
53 & 56 Olds'
60 Cadillac
22 Dodge Brothers
jku72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 01:45 PM   #9
SWINGSAX68
Now the others dig........

OFF TOPIC!!!!SORRY

my brothers '87 honda civic makes a Popping sound when given gas....like.....Pop pop pop pop...then it goes, but once you stop at a light for a while it does it again, could it be vapor lock also???just wondering....how about a wet distributer. We changed one of the 3 fuel filters....DAMN FOREIGN CARS!!!!
LOOKING FOR A 67 4 DOOR IMPALA!!!Just like Sam and Dean Winchester!! 'Cause Mustangs are for p^**#$ and you can fit a body in the trunk of a 67 Impala
MEMBER OF THE DRUM BRAKE CLUB
Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies Texas State University-San Marcos, TX
Certified Music Educator
I hope Mom is up there watching and being my Guardian Angel

"I've got a fever.....and the only prescription.....IS MORE COW BELL"
-The Legendary: Bruce Dickenson

"F#$@ 'em up!!!!!!"
-The Legendary: Rogelio Escobar

TRUCKY LINKS
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=457750
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=461184
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=472848
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=417541
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=477788
SWINGSAX68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 05:07 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

A vehicle wit fuel injection will practicly never suffer from vapor lock. The electric fuel pump pumps about twice what the engine will normally use. THe rest is taken back to the tank. The high pressures in that system raises the boiling point, and the higher speed the fuel runs lessens the time spent in the lines.
As for the fuel filter idea, while it is very possable, it is not likely. Normally a fuel delivery problem will show up in the higher RPMs before the lower ones. Shifting to 3rd drops the RPMs (as we al know) and then it stalls...I say check your fuel lines, and see how close it is to the exhaust. See if it is touching the engine up front...probably the head, intake or even valve cover.
If you feel froggy, try re routing the fuel line outside the frame rail (I'm doing this with the Longhorn) and about 2 inches from the engine as it comes up the side of it. When you secure it to the frame use the clamps with the black rubber insolaters. Not only reduces vibes, bit does not transfer heat as well as metal.
Some thing that also works, i discovered this past spring, my 190 degree thermostat was keeping the engine at about 200. I was getting vapor lock like mad. When I installed my 160 degree one, all my vapor lock troubles went away.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote