The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
NC-K5

Electrical Gremlins

As “Bull 72” posted way back when, “Some guys have skills and some have bills.” Well, I am another one with bills – and electrical gremlins – and I’m hoping some of you guys with skills can help out.

I bought a 72 K5 about a month ago, and had it shipped here. When it got here on the transport truck, the battery was dead. It jumped after a few minutes, and everything seemed fine. I started it up again later that day, no problem, and it drives great. But the next morning, it was dead as a doornail again. And I couldn’t even get it to jump.

I brought the battery to work, and a guy I work with tested it. Totally dead, but he charged it back up, it was fully charged, and I dropped it back in. And nothing. No crank, not even the headlights would come on.

So AAA towed it in to the mechanic, who replaced the battery cable and a couple other things. Started right up when I went to pick it up, and had a great 10-minute drive home. Next morning, same thing. Dead again.

So here comes AAA again with the tow-truck. This time, the mechanic replaced the battery, and the starter, and was convinced problems would be solved. And again, starts right up, I get a glorious ride home, drive thru the BK for a whopper, and pull in the driveway thinking I’m driving the new truck to work tomorrow. Later that night, again it won’t start! The headlights would still come on, and the brake light on the dash would come on, and the engine was clearly trying to crank a bit. And the next morning, I tried again, and no reaction at all. No crank, no lights, no nothing.

So I’m no genius, but it seems to me that something is draining the battery while the car isn’t running – as evidenced by the fact that the longer I wait to start it, the less reaction I get, even from headlights, and dashlights.

I haven’t had a chance to take it back to the mechanic yet, but was wondering if any of you guys have any clues. My mechanic has already banged me up for an unreasonable amount of money, and I’m still right where I started.
NC-K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #2
jonesky2

Re: Electrical Gremlins

if i was you i would get a light tester and take your positive battery cable off and connect the tester between the positive cable and battery to see if your getting drainage. then go pop out some fuses to see if the light turns off. that might help narrow it down.
jonesky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:32 AM   #3
jav418

Hey this web site should help

http://flashoffroad.com/electrical/B...teryDrain.html
jav418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
69TowRig

I chased tons of electrical gremlins like this for three months when I was trying to get my Blazer driveable again after years of neglect by the PO. Good luck. Check for shorts from the positive terminal through the wires for the body harness that run along the radiator support. As well as any other "constant hot" wiring in the truck. Mine was so old and brittle that the insulation had cracked and was incidentally shorting against some body sheet metal and causing a battery drain.

Test lights are your friend. Worst come to worst bring it over and we can check it out, you are just down the road from here.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesky2 View Post
if i was you i would get a light tester and take your positive battery cable off and connect the tester between the positive cable and battery to see if your getting drainage. then go pop out some fuses to see if the light turns off. that might help narrow it down.
Jonesky has the right idea. This won't always work on newer vehicles with more electronics, but works great on 72 and before. Another quick fix to keep you driving is one of these linked below (can get them at the local parts stores). Just a quick way to disconnect your positive cable while you are at work/overnight, etc until you can get the problem corrected. Also, maybe I missed it in your post, but have you had your alternator checked?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-74103/

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote