The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
RoughKuntry

Unhappy Problems Just Problems with that 73 Super Custom

Hi yall,

Again with the 73 leaving me to be towed by a v6 Tacoma. Just noticed that

the 73 was making a fuss with me accidentally put new dent into the bed. But

here is the problem i noticed, 1) my truck was pushing hot fuel up through the

carb into the fuel filter. 2) Not to mention tried to start the truck this morning and well the battery

is dead again. 3) So here is what I have done to the truck since the break

problem that still isn't fixed. New Spark Plugs, New Battery, New Alternator

Rebuild Kit, New Fuel Pump, Fresh Oil Change, The Basic. 4) And the dump thing

still doesn't wanna stay running or dies while in idle. So please help me with this or I might have to scrap this project and start

working on the jimmy again. That one has an electric issue.

It just seems that I can't find anyone or anything that will just work for me.
99 Chevrolet LS 4.8l/5 Speed Manual 4x4 :Selling
88 Chevrolet Burban 2500 4x4 :Buying
RoughKuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Sabaka454

Re: Problems Just Problems with that 73 Super Custom

About the only thing I can really understand here is your battery is dead, the truck put a dent in itself? You have hot fuel leaving your carburetor and going into your fuel filter? You changed some parts and have a dump bed? So confused.
Sabaka454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
MusicMan70

T.Rokk, Maybe post a pic of engine compartment to better assist you.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
RoughKuntry

Let's put it simple. I have hot fuel steaming out of the carb pouring on to the block manifolds. There must be a electrical problem with the truck causing the drainage of the new battery. Issues with the breaks, new everything there. Problem with them engaging no pressure. New dent put into the saddle tank on the left hand side up twords the cab I hit a stump out four wheeling the truck, I swear this truck is temper-mental.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
RoughKuntry

Front View Of The Carb

Okay, where you see the darken almost rust red, is where my fuel is leaking from the carb. The front two valves is where it was steaming out of. I don't know very much about how to fix this without instruction but I am taking the truck to my mechanic here come tomorrow. After I pick up tabs and new licence plates.

Driver Side View Of The Quad Jet Carb.

Passenger Side View Of The Quad Jet Carb

Here are the photo's you requested MusicMan70 of the Carb
Old 10-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
Rubble

Couple questions: was this truck sitting for an extended time? Maybe your carb just needs a new kit,gaskets will dry up over time.Did you replace the complete alt or just put a rebuild in? If the diodes are bad,it will cause a drain on the battery,Unhook your + cable with key off,see if there is a small spark..this will indicate a drain.If your alt is not the problem,then you have to go searching for a drain in the electrical system somewhere.This is where the fun begins,or push the easy button & put in a battery disconnect switch in.

" Rock n Roll ain't noise pollution"
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

How about using a good carb cleaner and an old tooth brush on it. Aftewards, spray a little WD40 on the linkages. Make sure everthing moves freely. What is the port on the passengerside that is unplugged?
Old 10-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
walkerb

When you are talking about "breaks" are you talking about the wheel brakes? Just trying to understand
1986 K30 Crewcab SRW 350
R.I.P- glimmertwin01- board member and good friend, you will be missed
walkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
RoughKuntry

Before I bought it, Yes the truck has been sitting for the past 5 years, with old fuel in the saddle tanks. The port on the passenger side I don't even know what it's for. What I do know is that port was pushing out ether smoke or steam when my carb failed yesterday. I might just rebuild the carb with a new kit tomorrow. But I do have a battery switch for the two batteries that were in this truck. I don't use the other one just because I don't have another battery. Could that help? If I just switch it off from now on? I might just let the ASE Mechanic do the work, but then again I can't afford his work. I might wanna pick up a manual on how to rebuild the carb.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
RoughKuntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerb View Post
When you are talking about "breaks" are you talking about the wheel brakes? Just trying to understand
When I am talking about the brakes, I was talking about the 11.24 Drums in the rear of the Dana 60. I hooked up everything and fixed it, but I get no pressure, from the break booster. Means I am stopping using the parking brake that doesn't work like normal ether. Push it down it should lock, but mine seems to jump right back up to unlock. Press on the break peddle and the truck only stops using the front brakes. I have a lot to fix on this truck.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #11
MusicMan70

That port on the passenger side is for the air cleaner I believe. Looks like it just needs a good rebuild T.Rokk.
There is lots of information on the internet and YouTube plus help from this Forum, should you decide to go that route and do it yourself. The Cliff Ruggles book is always mentioned. Here is a link I got from this Forum.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...4MV_carburetor

Just take a lot of before photos for memory recall.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
MusicMan70

I recently had my brakes redone and turns out I had a leaking rear brake cylinder. I had them replace both at the same time. Yours might be frozen or need to be bled again
Old 10-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
LynnJr

The steaming out of the side port is not a problem.That port is open and when the carb sputters you will notice fumes there.
As to the gas leak the float will sink or stick after prolonged storage and gas will come out of everywhere including the accelerator pump on the top.

I would fire it up without the air cleaner and see how long it takes before starts to leak.If it leaks right away your gaskets have most likely dried up and need replacing.
If it takes a minute to start leaking your float has probably stuck and after a short period of time the pump over flows the carb.You can sometimes tap it firmly and the float will settle down.

On your brakes jack the rear end off the ground and adjust the rear shoes so you get a little bit of drag.If the shoes are not adjusted you won't have rear brakes.
Once the shoes are adjusted have a buddy step on the brakes while you hold onto the drum with the rim removed.You should feel the drum lock up tight.
If the drum doesn't lock up tight and the shoes are adjusted your wheel cylinders are not getting pressure or they need replacing/rebuilding.
Crack the bleeder open and have a friend apply the brakes.Do you get a big squirt of brake fluid?
If yes re-bleed the rear brakes if no find out were the pressure loss is coming from.It could be a pinched line or bad master cylinder or a host of other things.
LynnJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
RoughKuntry

Thanks guys, I just tore off the carb and the float looks to be stuck, not to mention the gaskets are really dried out. At the moment, I am pulling the screws out of the carb and pulling it apart to make sure everything is working right, I did find that the carb is in low idle speed, which is causing the truck to only idle around 2000 rpms when in the book it should be at 2400 rpms, Just needs to be adjusted. Other then that the carb is getting cleaned up as we speak.

The Brakes, It could be a pinched lines in the rear, I noticed that when I was removing the back lines the passenger side brake line twisted. It did take me and my friend almost 2 weeks to try to get my breaks done. When the break pedal isnt engaged, my rear brakes leak out of the lines abit. But, I really don't think that is something to look at or go on. I do know that I still have pressure up in the front brakes but nothing in the rear. Does anyone know wth is wrong with the parking brake not engaging? I did spray it with WD-40 and tightened up the steel cable. Could that have anything to do with the parking break not engaging? I will be putting up new photo's soon.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
geezer#99

Are you putting a rebuild kit in the carb?
If not you should be!
Here's a link to rebuild it. Pay particular attention to the part on how to install the needle on the float correctly.
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...#Trouble_spots
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #16
RoughKuntry

I will be rebuilding the whole motor soon. Just starting with the carb first. But yes going for a full carb rebuild kit.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #17
kalbert

Brake fluid should not leak from anywhere at any time. If you're seeing brake fluid leak in the rear, that's why the rears don't work no matter if it leaks under pressure or at rest.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #18
RoughKuntry

Found out that the rear break lines are twisted, so I am going to replace them next month.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #19
RoughKuntry

Well, thanks for the help guys. I do have some issues to report. I blew the motor Tuesday Morning, turns out that Cylinder 2 was collapsed on 4 and my motor is gone. I have a rolling truck, with no engine. Figured out the carb is working great since the rebuild. I have put it on my 79 Jimmy, that has a 350 and she runs like a charm. I have come to a cross road between both trucks. I purchased the 73 for 850 and I have spent more then 2k just to get it rolling. I haven't even started on the cab for repairs yet. I am into the 79 Jimmy with 10k the only thing stopping me from driving that is the steering column which needs to be Four wheel drive. I started the jimmy off from just a cab & frame. ya it's not perfect but I was thinking about removing my Super Custom Front Clip and placing it on the Jimmy. I have found that the 73 has more then just an issue with the motor. Most of the truck is rusted away, It has issues with the trans & I am in dire need of some help on deciding weather to sell it the way it is or scrapping it. I can't stand to loose that truck for one issue. I have wanted that style since I was able to know the difference between Chevy & Ford. Could I get some help? I will upload all the photo's that I have taken over the year so you all can see what I am faced with.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
crashz

My personal feeling on a truck comes down to the frame. If the frame is good, there is something to build from. If its rusted through, its merely parts or worse.

I have two trucks in bad shape right now. The 83 has a good frame, but the cab is almost entirely gone. The 87 has a good body, but the frame is weakening by the day. Some would say, build one truck out of two. But I'm not that smart, and I want both of those trucks for different things.
crashz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #21
RoughKuntry

Well just got back from the mechanics and he said to just scrap the thing. The whole front clip is in great shape but the cab is junk. I also found out that the trucks motor was blown sometime ago. Maybe after the 5 years it sat. He said that 1, 2, 3, 4, & 6 tested as no compression. Not to mention driving it back home I lost all power at the end of my driveway. heard a noise like something just broke. guess I threw a rod. good size crack in the block though. Anyways, The Frame is in great shape, just the cab is in bad shape along with the doors. I may just need a new cab and the proper parts. But we will see were it goes. Right now Kinda working on truck #2 which is the 79 GMC High Sierra Jimmy. Do have a question though, Can a 76 4x4 column work with the electrical of a 79 updated harness or should I just try to find the same one that was in it. Because someone put a 87 steering column in and it drove pretty sweet. Picking Up tabs & new Plates on the 13th,

-Jeff