The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2004, 09:29 PM   #1
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Thumbs down "Inline tube" problems

Just recieved my new hard brake lines for my '71 2wd Blazer from GMC Pauls. I ordered from them because they had my exact application. I didn't know they would be coming from "Inline tube". Anyway,... I remove them one at a time too make sure I replace them with the exact piece. I have found only three pieces that are close. The two small ones by the porportioning valve and the long one that runs down the frame rail. (and it needs some tweaking) They must have pulled the incorrect application. I have pieces that don't fit anywhere! Am I going to call them in the morning. Has this happened to anyone else? Not too happy. Really living the lolife.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:35 PM   #2
cdowns

a few years ago when i had a 2wd blazer i used inline tubes and they fit excellent also used them on my present c-10 again excellent
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:35 PM   #3
theo70
COMING SOON...

Yep. I ordered directly from Inline Tube, I got the 1970 Chevy disc conversion kit. When I got it, I could only recognize maybe three pieces. I got so frustrated that I put it in the shop & told them to have at it. When I got it back, I noticed that not every line was from the kit, kinda tells me they didn't have a clue, either. They said it was a real pain in the neck.
But I'm not complaining 'cuz it's finally back on the road, sort of.
Good luck!
theo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:50 PM   #4
incoma

I bought a kit from year one, and NOTHING fit my truck. I've got a 70 GMC 2wd. I take that back, the front to rear line "seems" to fit. Nothing else was correct though. Even the rear axle lines were 1" short on each side. Those have got to be the easiest ones to make.

I've re-ordered from Classic Industries and expect them to arrive tomorrow. Wish me luck!!
incoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:01 PM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick replys. I am hoping I can return them for the correct lines. Keep the comments coming. Also,... any vendors out there who can sell me something that they know will work? Not downing GMC Paul's,... but they just call Inline tube and it's drop shipped from there. What about "Classic Tube"?
Old 08-09-2004, 10:24 PM   #6
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

I've heard that Fine Lines has good products but I've had no experience myself.

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:25 PM   #7
ljbear

I've got 3 sets from them, all fit great. 2 trucks and 1 Camaro.

72 Chevy SWB 4x4
71 Chevy SWB 4x4

My Work Truck

"Don't confuse enthusiasm with capability"
ljbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 11:50 PM   #8
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

I got their stainless kit. It was a major pain. It took alot of tweeking to get it to fit. Next time, I will just bend my own.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:42 AM   #9
Tim Christian

I sell Inline tube also and guys we cannot stock every line for these trucks,Blazers,and Burbs If you have never sold parts before you would not beleive the money it takes for inventory this is why we drop ship some items. But I am sure Paul is like myself we use the items we sell and in my opinion Inline tube has the best on the market and yes you do have to tweak some of the lines but not much. I am sure Paul or Inline Tube will correct the problems you are having. Thanks Tim
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 03:11 PM   #10
BobM

I installed an Inline Tube kit on my 71 fleetside. They don't fit like the OEM lines, but can't complain about the quality. With some minor tweeking on some of the lines, and more on others, they fit and look just fine. Saved me considerable time compared to buying the individual lines and fittings, bending, and flaring from scratch. The bonus with the kit is that they come with the coil shields that are hard or impossible to get from your local auto parts store.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:12 PM   #11
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

I used Inline tube and phoned my order in, explained I was putting discs on my '70. They sent a kit tailored to my needs...so I would use them again.
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:19 PM   #12
Mixup

I got a complete brake line set from inline tube about a year ago. Only 2 lines fit. Nothing on the front fit at all no matter how much you tweaked. I called inline tube and they said sorry but thats the kit for your truck. I won't use them again.

1969 Z28 engine

Turbo 350
Mixup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:59 PM   #13
zeeklu

I bought a set of stainless brake lines from Inline Tube for my 67 K 10 with a 72 disc brake front axle . The salesman told me I would be better off with a kit for a 67 2wd with a disc brake conversion than the 4wd 1972 set I wanted.I told him I found this hard to believe but all they do is brake lines so I would take his word for it.Not one line would work. I called them back 2 times and explained the problem and they were supposed to talk to their supervisor. No one ever returned my calls. I called Classic Tube to order the correct lines and explained my problem and the salesman knocked $25 off the line set and $20 off the flex line set for my troubles. Boy was I surprised talk about trying to please a new customer ! And their lines have stainless fittings not like inline tube which uses regular steel. I guess I found a new place to buy my brake lines from.But since you bought them from Les I'm sure he will make everything right. Chris

Last edited by zeeklu; 08-10-2004 at 08:35 PM.
zeeklu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 06:53 PM   #14
71Chev

Keith,
I sent you a pm.

Les
@GMCPauls
Old 08-11-2004, 07:41 AM   #15
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

GMC Pauls is working with me. They are also having trouble with "Inline Tube". I will let everyone know how it turns out. Looks like I might be calling "Classic Tube".
Old 08-11-2004, 11:14 PM   #16
incoma

Well, I got my lines in today from Classic Industries. These lines were the same lines that Year One sold me. The front are a bit different, but I don't think they'll work. I'm sending them back.

I decided to try my luck at bending some for the rear axle. I was getting along pretty well until I tried my final loose fit and found out they sold me 3/16" lines with metric ends. Alot of good that will do for me.

I'm going to return that crap and goto Napa or autozone and buy some lines from them. I think bending the rear axle lines is pretty easy. Every angle is pretty straight. I've got to find someone to buy the front from. I don't think I'm experienced enough yet to get all of the curves right.

Has anyone tried to send their original lines off to be used as a model?
incoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 04:33 AM   #17
ZOOMY

inline

I bought a set for my '72 stepside & they fit perfectly.
ZOOMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:15 AM   #18
bstack

Try rightstuffdetailing.com. I tried one of the other company's that didn't even come close to fitting. Not a fun thing to have happen, with shipping and all. Have had real good luck with rightstuff.
87 Chev. 1/2 Ton 4x4 Swb
bstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:44 AM   #19
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Thanks to everyone! I am looking at all my options. Keep the comments coming. Does anyone have any pics?
Old 08-12-2004, 09:30 AM   #20
GMCPaul

lolife99 a complete new set of brake lines shipped to you yesterday sorry for the inconvience!!!!
Incoma it sounds as though you keep receiving lines bent for either a coil spring truck and yours is leaf spring or visa-versa your recieving lines bent for a leaf spring truck and yours is coil spring, have they asked you when ordering if its coil spring or leaf spring as they do differ.
In regards to sending the lines off to be duplicated by scanning and being copied with CNC benders thats how all the current lines being made came to exist and they do match exactly what you send.
Because of the several different ways these trucks could be optioned with coil or leaf spring rearends, GM, Eaton, DANA rearends, heavy duty springs & standard springs, helper spring equipped & non-helper spring equipped, EEC equipped & non-EEC equipped fuel emmissions, master cylinder to frame lines at front routed inside frame on some and outside frame on others caused different routing methods in some cases and no desiginating factors showing when they would use a different set 100% of the time plus the factor of previous owners changing items its extremely hard to get the lines right 100% of the time but Inline Tube does have a 96% of the time correct order fulfillment rate which is extremely good in my opinion with them normally able to exchange a incorrect order with a correct shipment nearly 100% of the time.
2 1967 trucks equipped exactly the same might have one set of brake lines that route outside the frame on one then the other trucks routes inside the frame which would end up making most all the other lines different, or 1 3/4 ton with a eaton rear would receive one style lines while another with a Dana rear would receive a different style line.
Those lines where a option made a difference everytime we request to know whether or not you had the option so we can get you the correct lines such as if its a coil or leaf spring rearend, however when a owner specially optioned items when buying the truck which for one reason or another changed brake line routing or fuel line routing out of the ordinary sometimes errors do come up because of all the different ways GM built them.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:37 AM   #21
fine69

Hey bstack. I went to www.rightstuffdetailing.com for the lines for my 67 Cougar. I WONT be using them again. I live a little over an hour from them. So i just drove there. By the 3rd time i went there i was ready beat the "bejesus" out of someone.
First time nothing fit, 2nd time some fit, 3rd time i took the remaining lines(which i had luckily gotten off in one peice) to them. Had them bend the lines while i waited. Then they had the gall to try to tell me that at some point the lines had been changed. That what i had wasnt original. Let me tell you what....... I really had to restrain myself from beating the crap out of someone.
When you know what you are doing, and some bonehead tells you that you dont.
I have always bought lines and bent the myself. But i thought that i would give one of those prebent places a try. And they were closest. I wont be using them again. Such a bad experience, doing it myself is way easier.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:43 PM   #22
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

GMCPaul,... MY application was for a '71 2wd Blazer with power brakes. The kit I recieved is obviously for a different application all together. The master cylinder lines route to the front of the crossmembr instead of the rear. Only two lines were really close. They looked to be 73-up with the proportioning valve in front of the crossmember. Not by the master cylinder. I have elected to get a 1/2 ton pickup set from you guys and make my own frame rail line. The rearend line was not even close. I will be sending these lines back and waiting for the new ones. I know I am not the first person to put brake lines on a '71 2wd blazer, let alone a pickup. The caliper bolts were pull from the wrong bin,... could the lines have been pulled from the wrong bin also? Thanks for all the help and the phone calls to the house. You guys have gone above and beyond on this one. I will remember that. Thanks, again,... lolife.

Last edited by lolife99; 08-12-2004 at 03:46 PM. Reason: mis-spoke
Old 08-12-2004, 07:10 PM   #23
Spoof

lolife99,
As indicated in the LMC catalouge, 1971 LWB coilspring trucks had two different brake line set ups. It's hard to tell from the manual or catalouge which is the correct set up.
I found the main diff is normally the frame rail line, either one or two piece, or even more obviously the pieces which connect over the rear differential. Some trucks the rear junction box is almost at the centre, on others it is close to the passenger side. THIS MAY NOT APPLY TO BLAZERS.
In any case I recieved an obviously incorrect set of mid & rear stainless lines which I returned for a correct set, only to find the fittings for the rear cylinders are not the stock size (wtf) Scotts Super trucks claim these are the only others available.
I guess I'd better find some adapters. I found the front set up almost perfect while the rear is approximate at best, with no rock protectors. I can't say I'm real happy about any of this.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:44 PM   #24
GMCPaul

lolife99 I knew you optioned for the 2wd pickup on 2nd set, the 1st set was obviously a 4wd line set as only the 4wd lines route forward to the front of crossmember from the master cylinder, I'll speak with Mark at Inline after he receives the 1st set back from you and have him check them for routing and I'm sure he'll find they miss labeled a 4X4Blazer set. on your front to rear the only thing you'll need to do to get correct length is shorten and reflare one end. Sorry I wasn't back from Carlisle All Truck Nats sooner than Wed. Les seemed to have you well covered and we made sure to stay in touch with Inline then so it was taken care of ASAP.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:00 PM   #25
shortymac83
hmm...

If you're having trouble with Inline Tube themselves, talk to James Kryta on v8buick.com (I don't remember his SN, but if you find it, PM him, don't call him out on the board). He frequents there a lot because he used to drag race his gorgeous 72 442. I met him this last Sunday at Norwalk, OH at the Dick Miller Oldsmobile Nationals (which, if you own any sort of oldsmobile, you should make it there at least once in your life. It's the Mecca for Olds enthusiasts). He's a great guy that will stand behind his products. All of the Olds guys that I speak to that run his lines say that they work either perfectly or with minor tweaking.

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

shortymac83 is offline   Reply With Quote