The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2002, 11:57 PM   #1
George2

Post 69 motorhome

Someone wants to give me a motorhome that is built on a 69 1-ton pick-up cab and chassis. It has 46k original miles but has sat idle for over 10 years. The intireor of the cab is original and very clean. The exterior needs to be cleaned up but no dents ond original paint. The camper inside is clean and has no leaks, but could use a good remodel.
What are the chances that the engine and trans are salvageable? How about the brakes? Would it make more sense to just put in a "new" rebuilt?
I dont dare attempt to start it. The engine is a 350, the trans is a "turbo hydro-matic". It has duel rear wheels with a 410 rear end.
Is there much value in a truck like this? Is there any value advantage to keeping the original engine? How are the rebuilds that are aviliable? Are they reliable? I assume they are converted for unleaded gas. Is there any re-manufacturer that is is particularly good? I'm trying to get some info before I decide to take it or not.
It is a situation where an eldrly widow has it in back of the house where it sat since her husband became ill and eventually died.It will be donated if I dont take it.
Thanks!
George
George2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 12:01 AM   #2
CARS4567

I BET THERE'S AT LEAST A DOZEN PEOPLE HERE THAT WOULD 'NOT' LIKE IT TO BE DONATED
CARS4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 12:03 AM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

George, first of all, welcome to the board.
On your questions, I would grab it in a heartbeat. While sitting for 10 years sounds scarry, it isn't really. You'll wanna give it a tune up, chainge all the fluids, along with belts and hoses, and inspect the crap out of it. Brake fluid needs flushed, gear oil is probably ok, but you should drain and fill anyways, then prelube the motor, aintall a new battery and crank it up. I'll gurantee it'll fire and drive after that.
These 157 inch wheelbase (yes?) trucks make good projects even if you rip the camper off.

------------------
'69 G.M.C. 350/350. Trying to clean up the left over damage from the Dope-Smokin-Old-Man
I've been dubbed the Longhorn Freak/Fanatic/Expert, I just hope I can live up to it.
Need to pick up the one ton Longhorn with a PONTIAC 350/350soon.
Thanks every one!
Check out The Longhorn Webite.
If you need a pic posted, E-mail me at longhornmail@yahoo.com
Andy, in Columbus Ohio

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 12:09 AM   #4
George2

What is the best way to prelube the engine?
Old 03-21-2002, 12:12 AM   #5
barn9
Half a bubble off!

George, I really don't wanna see you get hurt on this one, so give me the old gal's address and I'll take care of it for you! Now to be serious, check the oil, water, and give it some fresh gas, then hook up a good battery to the ol' beast and see what happens, you could get lucky. No matter what happens, the price is right, TAKE IT!!

------------------[*]'71 Cheyenne, 402BB[*]Winfield, KS[*] http://barn9.freeservers.com[*] steer50@hotmail.com

Old 03-21-2002, 12:14 AM   #6
Longhorn Man

You can either buy a tool or take a distribter, adn gut it. All you'll want is the base, the shaft going down to the oil pump. You need to remove the cam gear on it along with everything up top.
Put a drill on the tolp 1/2 of the dist. shaft and (in reverse if memory serves) drill it for a while. If you remove a valve cover you will see the oil start to dribble up the push rods.

------------------
'69 G.M.C. 350/350. Trying to clean up the left over damage from the Dope-Smokin-Old-Man
I've been dubbed the Longhorn Freak/Fanatic/Expert, I just hope I can live up to it.
Thanks every one!
Andy, in Columbus Ohio

Old 03-21-2002, 12:20 AM   #7
Longhorn Man

BTW...
Quote:
check the oil, water, and give it some fresh gas, then hook up a good battery to the ol' beast and see what happens
It'll probably fire, but the 10 year dry engine with a coat of rust on everything will wear quite a bit. All they hype about dry start ups....times 100.
I would also chainge the oil after 20 min of running, and then again after a 30 mile test drive. But I'm kinda anal about oil being clean.

------------------
Thanks every one!
Andy, in Columbus Ohio

Old 03-21-2002, 12:22 AM   #8
CARS4567

IF YOU DON'T WANT IT.............
CARS4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 08:28 PM   #9
allgmcs

Sure wish I had this problem. Take it and have a little fun.
Old 03-21-2002, 08:48 PM   #10
MeanGreen

Thumbs up

GEORGE2, Longhornmail has the best suggestion. But something easier might be to take all the spark plugs out ( so you'll have no compression) and with a good battery turn the motor over ( 10 seconds or so at a time) untill you have good oil pressure. When my truck is cold, I don't open the choke untill I've turned the engine over and seen oil pressure. Then I fire it up.

------------------
1972 K10 Green.
2002 2500HD C/C D/A Green
12' airboat W/0-470 continental
webpage
MeanGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 10:10 PM   #11
67 cst swb

ok guys....
not to over onto another guys board but...
I have access to a 71/72 1 ton Camper/truck It look orig. it has walk through cab and everything..very very good shape...Did GM build these as originals??? how much are they worth?... no rust, no dents, 60,000 to 70,000 miles (guessing)... I'm very curious as to if I should go get it...
Bryan in So.Dak

------------------
Bryan in South Dakota
-67 CST originally a 327-4bbl(missing)...w/TH400 w/AC,PS,PB,3pc bucket seat,small window,LWB. orig. drk blue w/blue interior. needs serious restoration
-67 CST(plain janer) 283/MT LWB
-2000 Silverado 1/2ton 2wd x-cab w/4th door
***future projects***
A 67/68 CST,SWB,350/TH350,Lowered 5/7, rollin' on 17's, not air bagged.using above listed 67 CST (janer)

1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
2002 Chevrolet 1500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L 4L80E Red
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 10:42 PM   #12
Longhorn Man

It's hard to say what a vehicle is worth. There are so few on the market...who is to say?
As far as did gm make them...they made the cab and chassis, then had someone else do the campr stuff...just like they did for the crew cabs.

------------------
Thanks every one!
Andy, in Columbus Ohio

Old 03-21-2002, 11:04 PM   #13
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

my long horn was the same kind of deal. i wasnt there when they fired it up after ten years. it has 32k on it at the time. but i am sure you will need to flush the gas tanke, replace all the rubber hoses, belts. flush the radiato, oil changes (like longhornmail is saying) you will prob need a carb rebuild as well. they gum up bad after that long.

if it were me, it syphon out that old gas and put new high grade stuff in there, new fule filter and rubber fule line. then

id prob dump as much oil as would come out, chaing the oil filter, and new oil.. pull the dist and prime the oil pump. pulling the spark plugs for the first turns of the engine is agood idea. maybe even a little squirt of oil in each cyl. then crank for a bit.

once started run it for a while,then dump oil again. take it on a few short drive making sure everything gets good an hot.id also change the trany and rear end fluids as well. lub all the zerts.

the worst thing would be flushin the gas tank. only one of my tanks were done. i and sure tell the differance when i changed the sending units.

bottom line is get it. im dieing to find one of them. you lucky dog!!!

oh ya., dont worry about it sitting. my truck sat for ten years, its like driving a new truck now. 43k now and counting!

[This message has been edited by mtdave2 (edited March 21, 2002).]
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 03:13 PM   #14
highwaydevil

Get it. I strongly recommend dumping a small amount of oil down each cylinder. I got a 72 t-bird that had been sitting around 10 years also, and dumped oil down, it, gave it fresh gas, and drove it home on the interstate. If it worked for a ford, it should work for a Chevy!
Old 03-22-2002, 09:24 PM   #15
busterwivell

The only thing I would add is to flush cooling system. If it's too much work, I could maybe come get it???????????
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 09:37 PM   #16
StingRay

The other thing you can do if you're not in a hurry to bring it home is pull the plugs and put some diesel or kerosene into the cylinders and let it sit a bit. Then do all of the other stuff suggested. I'd change all of the fluids as soon as I could. I'm betting it's going to have brake problems after that long. Even so it's usually just new cylinders or if you're real lucky just rebuild kits. I'm with everybody else GET THE TRUCK and get it fast.
Old 03-24-2002, 12:35 AM   #17
George2

Thanks for all the advise! Im afraid I feel a project comming on....I was wondering about the "oil down the spark-plug hole" trick. I have done that with my outboard engines. Also coating them BEFORE letting them sit for a long time. The other worry I have is the trans. No one seems to concerned. I assume I should drain and re-fill before running and then a couple times right after just like the engine. I should have plenty of time before having to acually move it. Ill keep you posted. Im sure ill be needing some advice!
Grorge
Vallejo,California
Old 03-24-2002, 12:40 AM   #18
Longhorn Man

Welcome to the club...you'll be adicted before you know.

------------------
Thanks every one!
Andy, in Columbus Ohio