The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2021, 04:36 PM   #1
D-n-Tyke

Looking for advice on a DA Sander

Getting ready to start in on all the body work and am in need of a new DA sander to make the sanding go easier. Plan on using it for all aspects of the body work. What are the better ones out there, what are the ones to stay away from.

Also, are there other pneumatic sanders that I should be looking at the work well on the truck bodies.

Body work will include stripping the body completely down for a total repaint. Current condition is one home respray over factory paint.
D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:38 PM   #2
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

Re: Looking for advice on a DA Sander

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-n-Tyke View Post
Getting ready to start in on all the body work and am in need of a new DA sander to make the sanding go easier. Plan on using it for all aspects of the body work. What are the better ones out there, what are the ones to stay away from.

Also, are there other pneumatic sanders that I should be looking at the work well on the truck bodies.

Body work will include stripping the body completely down for a total repaint. Current condition is one home respray over factory paint.
You can never go wrong with Chicago Pneumatic, they have been around for years. Just make sure your compressor can keep up, as all DA sanders devour air.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:43 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

I would repost or ask a Moderator to move your post to the body work section.
Your audience for bodymen should be bigger there. I will add that when comparing air tools look at the cfm ratings. Generally the higher quality air tools use less air for the same work load. This is important if your compressor is on the small side.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...splay.php?f=16
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:53 AM   #4
hugger6933

I use the cheaper sander with the blue cover. I own a shop and that one little sander gets lots of abuse. It is my second one the first one lasted for many many years. I would guess if you compared it to home shop use it was probably 30 years of home shop usage. You can buy them in the $30 -50 dollar range and I have had better [expensive wise] one that were over $250 yet I would go back to this one. I doesn't have a handle like a traditional sander but it is tons more comfortable. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:05 AM   #5
notsolo

Hey Jim, any chance you could add a photo....is that 6" also....Thanks....I am not the body man, and I use what I have mostly, 1/4 sheet electric Bosch sander works well for general purpose removal down to Bare metal.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:34 AM   #6
hugger6933

Yes it is a 6 inch sander. The first one I got came in a combo pack of a paint gun and sander. I use the cheaper guns for small stuff and primer and sometimes paint. I don't know how many times I have stopped when painting using my finish line guns and swap back to the cheaper gun to finish up a job. But yeah I think that sander came from AutoBody Toolmart .com I'll see I have not put up a pic in nine forevers. Jim
Old 01-20-2021, 03:25 PM   #7
bry593

I use a Chicago Pneumatic DA. Before it, I had a Chinese POS. I was absolutely amazed how much better the CP sanded, smooth, controlled, powerful. Night and day difference.

In addition to a DA, it is a good idea to get a straight line sander. I think I'm using an old Ingersoll Rand. Comes in real handy for leveling out long, flat panels.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:35 AM   #8
LT1 Burb

I will buck the trend here and say don't buy any harbor freight air tools. I have replaced every single HF air tool I bought, they use way too much air and have no power, you will simply get frustrated when your sander spits water, freezes your hand or like the cutter, stalls every 5 seconds. Buy astro pneumatic or Igersoll Rand, buy right and once. If your main objective is stripping paint, get a variable speed polisher and get the attachment for the 7" disc and use 36 grit sandpaper. I use the cordless Milwaukie one and then you can use it for buffing after your done. I wouldn't use an air tool to strip paint, there is better options available.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:12 PM   #9
Myself

I use an electric like this....https://www.amazon.com/Makita-BO5041...457779&sr=8-25
It works fine for me, saves the extra wear on my compressor, and my local body supply keeps 5" papers in stock.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:44 PM   #10
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Yes it is a 6 inch sander. The first one I got came in a combo pack of a paint gun and sander. I use the cheaper guns for small stuff and primer and sometimes paint. I don't know how many times I have stopped when painting using my finish line guns and swap back to the cheaper gun to finish up a job. But yeah I think that sander came from AutoBody Toolmart .com I'll see I have not put up a pic in nine forevers. Jim
Jim Is this the one you use in the link below?

Link: https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pro...sp/air-sanders

Name:  Astro-300SP-DAQ-Sander.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  39.1 KB

Or this one?
Name:  Titan-19225-Random-Orbital-Sander-6-inch.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  39.5 KB

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:28 PM   #11
CMars45000

Dynabrade! I have used Dynabrade products for years. my Sprit 6" Random Orbital is by bar the best all-around I've used. I have an older model 21035.

Here is a link to the newer model on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Dynabrade-590...-1&tag=mh0b-20

Vehicles/Projects:

-1971 C10 SWB Fleetside! Gathering parts now, will begin frame-off resto soon...

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.
-Aristotle
CMars45000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:28 PM   #12
hugger6933

The second on in the pic .Try it I know anyone who does will be happy with it
Old 01-26-2021, 10:03 PM   #13
hugger6933

It is number 2088 it is black in the catalog. I don't recall paying the $70 some odd bucks though maybe do a search on E-bay and see what is out there I think I was in the $30 -$50 bucks range. I have used the $150 to $250 plus sanders and like I said earlier in the posts the cheap one does me proud. I have both types of pads for it and have used paper from 36 grit to 3000 dry and wet . Just try one yourself. If it can and does last in a shop for me I'm sure that it will work for a couple projects and the other money could be used for parts or more tools. Jim
Old 01-26-2021, 11:49 PM   #14
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
It is number 2088 it is black in the catalog. I don't recall paying the $70 some odd bucks though maybe do a search on E-bay and see what is out there I think I was in the $30 -$50 bucks range. I have used the $150 to $250 plus sanders and like I said earlier in the posts the cheap one does me proud. I have both types of pads for it and have used paper from 36 grit to 3000 dry and wet . Just try one yourself. If it can and does last in a shop for me I'm sure that it will work for a couple projects and the other money could be used for parts or more tools. Jim
Thanks

This is it I will give it a GO

Link: https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pro...ir-sander-2088

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:59 PM   #15
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Burb View Post
I will buck the trend here and say don't buy any harbor freight air tools. I have replaced every single HF air tool I bought, they use way too much air and have no power, you will simply get frustrated when your sander spits water, freezes your hand or like the cutter, stalls every 5 seconds. Buy astro pneumatic or Igersoll Rand, buy right and once. If your main objective is stripping paint, get a variable speed polisher and get the attachment for the 7" disc and use 36 grit sandpaper. I use the cordless Milwaukie one and then you can use it for buffing after your done. I wouldn't use an air tool to strip paint, there is better options available.
Yes ^^^
The only thing about this is that it's not a "one tool to do it all" situation.
The palm style sanders are fine, the ergonomics are much better than other sanders, but I wouldn't use one to strip paint.
I wound use an electric buffer/polisher type unit to strip. This can be a more budget friendly tool.
Then get into a better name brand D/A or palm sander (CP, IR, etc) for the rest of the job. They are better balanced and more powerful while using less air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:44 AM   #16
Rich rodriguez

I have all 3 Baxter sanders from HF and I couldn’t be happier. Sanded my cab down to bare metal and now I’m starting on body work. I even bought there cheap purple paint gun and used it to spray the epoxy primer
Attached Images

Rich rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:32 PM   #17
72c20customcamper

I very rarely use a da sander anymore. I bought a Eastwood SCT tool. It's my go to paint remover for larger areas . I used the 3m paint stripper pads on my 4 inch grinder and the wheels on the drill.
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote