The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #1
ironroad9c1
Master Hater

85c20 is gone, but something took its place

1984 GMC 1500 305 LE9 700r4,and 3.08 10 bolt, heavy duty rear springs, 6100Lb GVWR 118K miles

Only bad part..

"This evening, all of you bleeding hearts... why don't just go ahead and hug yourself for the next 20 minutes or so, because there's a really good chance you're gonna be offended".- Captain Owen Honors
ironroad9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
ironroad9c1
Master Hater

Re: 85c20 is gone, but something took its place

Gave her a bath today and figured why not wax up my patina..lol cleaned up pretty nice.
Tailgate before..

Tailgate after .

"This evening, all of you bleeding hearts... why don't just go ahead and hug yourself for the next 20 minutes or so, because there's a really good chance you're gonna be offended".- Captain Owen Honors
Old 06-08-2016, 03:27 AM   #3
LT7A

Clean and straight man. Hours of enjoyment to be had.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:31 AM   #4
ironroad9c1
Master Hater

well turns out It really needs new fuel tanks, . but good news is it doesnt need a transmission I think, I couldnt really get it up to road speed, so i jacked up the rear and messed withthe shifter and it finally started going into thrird and overdrive, so my hunch about the valve body having some trash was right, but I bought a van to drive for the meantime and I'm gonna pull the carb off and clean it out this weekend and get her in shape to drive.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:27 PM   #5
Trailering Special

Really nice and clean truck, what are your plans for it?
Trailering Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:18 PM   #6
ironroad9c1
Master Hater

First thing I did this morning was finish the carb rebuild on my 86 van, got it back together and then pulled the carb off this truck to see what was going on with it, Turns out when the guy rebuilt it, He didn't pay attention to the primary piston and metering rods when he put the top back on and just screwed it down bending the Piston arms cause the rods were not in the jet holes. So I had a spare qjet I robbed those from, got it put back together with a new filter in the inlet and a new filter on the FP inlet line and got it running to find out the fubared carb had fouled some plugs.
So I went and got some plugs for it and started changing those out and someone had installed the wrong ones to begin with the ones it called for was a hotter plug, Ran so much better but I know there was more to be had. Because someone has swapped out the ESC dist for a reg HEI I set the timing and ran a new Vac hose to ported nipple on my carb, and the truck runs awesome.
Well Now that its running and driving almost perfect I can start on getting the Interior back in Shape. I found a really good seat at the local pick and pull, so i don't need to buy new foam when I recover it , I just cant justify buying 250 bucks of foam and then another 250 for the cover , The truck just will never be that much, i swapped the tires around today, Guy I got it from had put some 255/60/15's on the back and it had some 255/70/15s up front so I rotated em out today and I was just taking stock of the brakes today and when I pulled the rear wheels off it still had the drum retainers on the rear drums on both sides with 118k on it , I was shocked, truck must have had a lot of road miles cause once I pulled the drums off the factory stuff was in perfect adjustment and was only about 50% worn.

So I cleaned those up , and swapped the wheels around and test drove it and Its so much nicer with the new tires up front, I took stock of the front end while the wheels where off and it needs to have the front wheel bearings cleaned and repacked, new front pads. new shocks all around, two new rear tires, idler arm, and I'll go ahead and replace the brake hoses for good measure.
Finished up for the day .

Hanging with her New sister I picked up for 800 bucks.

Last edited by ironroad9c1; 06-25-2016 at 10:24 PM.