The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2023, 11:33 PM   #1
Gib74

A pillar door Door Plates Stripped

I'm sure this question has been asked a zillion time. I had two of the upper A pillar door hinge plate stripped out. I installed some keensert's tonight and one of them ended up blowing thru and falling down into the a pillar abysses. I think I was dealing with some unforeseeable rust, and it ended up breaking away. So now I'm left with a huge hole where my hinge bolt should thread into my A pillar door plate. So, the million-dollar question is where is the best way to access the threaded plate so I can get it out and weld some nuts on it or does anyone sell the actual threaded plate to replace? Do I go interior on the kick plate and then it looks like I gotta cut another hole to get into the abyss. Or do I cut on the exterior a pillar above or below. I can weld and fabricate fairly decently so I'm not worried about cutting everything up and not get it cleaned up. Just looking for the easiest and most efficient way to get into this thing. Thanks Fellas!!!!!!
Gib74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 01:10 AM   #2
402Bowtie

Re: A pillar door Door Plates Stripped

I'm guessing you would have two layers of metal to cut through if you went thru the kick panel. Maybe a reason not to come from that side?
402Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 10:23 AM   #3
Gib74

Here is what I'm dealing with
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2023, 04:25 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

Here are some threads that may help.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=23683

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...8919574&nojs=1

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567974

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=773554

Good luck and please post your results so the rest of us can learn too.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 10:22 PM   #5
jumpsoffrock

Maybe drill and tap for the next size up? Even might try metric sizes if you wanna stay close to the original size.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 11:17 PM   #6
CKfan

I have done a couple of these. Obviously the bottom is way easier. No easy fix for the top.

I have had good results with just cutting the smallest section possible out up the A Pillar lines around the Plate. Then, side to side about an inch above and below the spot welds that hold the cage to the mounting plate. Pull it out, replace the cage and mounting plate and weld the section back in. I included a thread that shows the bottom Plate. Good luck
(sorry not the best at explaining)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=841905
CKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 11:23 AM   #7
Gib74

CK
Thanks for that info. Is the top cage accessible by going thru the inside kick panel?
Old 04-07-2023, 03:56 PM   #8
CKfan

Technically..... maybe?

But given the dash mount is right in the way and the fact you can't remove the plate from the cage (will ruin it) without removing either the bottom of top spot weld (can only be slid out forward) and the confined work space, no way to really re-attach the cage if you were able to work in that tight space.

My first attempt at this years ago, I went in from the side as shown in the taped outline in attached photo. I remember it was still hard to get the cage reattached.

If you have a small dremel tool with cut-off wheel and a small reciprocating air body saw, I would go in from the front as I first suggested. But from the side is do-able. Both have challenges. Absolutely No way would I try from the back.
Attached Images

CKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 04:23 PM   #9
Gib74

I'm following you. I do have a small dremel. I was leaning towards your above picture or possibly below the spot welds. I was able to get my hands on some cages and door plates, thanks to 402bowtie. In case mine were shot out. You think, I cut a big enough hole below the spot welds slide everything down and out. Get everything cleaned up slide the cage back up thru the hole, weld the spot welds in place and weld back the cut-out plate? Those are the two options I'm leaning towards
Old 04-07-2023, 05:54 PM   #10
vics stuff

If it were me , I would cut that piece out with cut off wheel. Make the proper repairs and reweld that plate back in the door jamb. While in there you would be able to check out the other nuts to make sure that you will not have issues in the future.
Vic
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote