The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2021, 04:09 PM   #1
kglowacky

rack and pinion

anyone installed a rack and pinion set up in your square body truck. If so what did you use a donor from another car or a aftermarket kit.

Results
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 02:11 AM   #2
prodjay10

Is there an advantage to installing a rack and pinion?
Posted via Mobile Device
prodjay10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:44 PM   #3
kglowacky

Re: rack and pinion

Kinda why I asking the question. I have done a complete body off restoration with a LS 1 upgrade and the truck has play in the steering wheel that after about 50 mph causes a uncomfortable steering control problem. I have had 2 different rebuilt steering boxes installed. Had 2 different so called c10 mechanics look at it and have tried both the jeep steering shaft and the org type and have been told that is just how it was designed back in the day live with it. Well living in Houston when you get on a freeway and are pretty much required to run about 70mph I am not comfortable with the handling so I am exploring alternatives.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:44 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

For a driver truck the biggest advantage of r and p is space and weight savings...
Some road coursers might ad the steering ratios and handling part

Kglo, I assure you that not how they were built...you can drive my truck with 1 finger at 80mph..although not recommended..haha
lots of things can factor into how a truck handles.
I'm sure if youve done all that you know all this..
Alignment, my old school alignment guy was world class...I think he could align a truck by sight without any equipment
tire pressure, I had new tires put on mine once, couldnt keep it in the road..turns out they put way to much air in the fronts
Rag joint can be loose or worn.
Play in sterring box and tie rods...
Theres not really much to it, and if you can get under the truck to watch for movement and get somebody to work the steering wheel, most times you can see if something's loose..8
Just cause you have a rebuilt box doesnt mean it's a good one...I've heard of alot of issues with the rebuilt ones over the yrs

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 07-11-2021 at 04:45 PM.
mongocanfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 03:39 PM   #5
prodjay10

I kept having drivability problems too. It was the box that was worn and the rebuilt ones too. Finally got a good one and I also do 80mph no problem.

You can bench check them for slop. That’s what I did with the one I have now. It was one that was laying around in my dad’s yard. I checked it for slop and had someone reseal it. Perfect.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2021, 10:24 PM   #6
kglowacky

Thanks for the responses. I am in the class as old and long in the tooth and have been and still working on cars on a daily bases since the 60's. I agree I don't remember ever having a car with this kind of of driving issues but again let me say I replaced every ball joint , tie rod end , bushing gear box rag joint and so on at least once and I am here to tell you no better response. The rebuilt steering box was rebuilt twice and I feel it is good. Due to the heat and busy schedule I only get to work on my own stuff once in a while. LOL sound familiar .
Only thing left is the column itself. I have replaced the lower bushing already. I built this truck as a daily driver and love it except for this issue. I guess removing the column and finding someone capable (not easy to find anymore) of rebuilding it is the next way to spend money. I have had it aligned twice by 2 different shops and they say it lines up in the specs no problem .. Wish me luck one thing I am not is a quitter. I will keep you posted. At one point considered the LS1 PS pump is pumping at a pressure in excess of what the box can handle but everything I read says it should not be a factor.

Let me add the problem is slop in the wheel not floating or handling badly. I agree should be a easy thing to find but I am struggling.
One more detail. I am not using the original column. Not sure of the year of this column as it came with the truck in pieces but it is a OEM GM column out of a 80's PU.

Last edited by kglowacky; 07-11-2021 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:56 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

im using the LS pump on mine as well...ive had no issues with that..and ive got hydroboost as well

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:46 AM   #8
prodjay10

Have a helper wiggle the steering wheel back and forth. Get under the front end and visually check for slop.

In my situation it was obvious when I did this. i could see the shaft going to the steering gear turning quite a bit back and forth and nothing happening at the other end of the steering gear. This would cause my truck to wonder all over the road.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #9
jdmaffeo

I'm looking at swapping over to a rack and pinion as well...I have installed all new steering components and I have done the jeep steering shaft 3 times in 5k miles. The column is rebuilt. Replaced the wheels and tires. Alignments and Everything... I've chassed a front end steering wobble from 35-50 mph for years...Currently I've stripped everything down to the frame rails and I'm doing an LS swap now. I'm installing the complete QA1 front and rear suspension and I think I'm going to try the rack and pinion setup from Western Chassis but I can't get any feedback from anyone that has tried it. I guess I'll reach out directly to Western Chassis to see if there are any interference issues with the LS.
Old 07-15-2021, 01:17 PM   #10
kglowacky

lets keep this thread going on anyone installing a rack. I want to do one but still looking for info on type and results