The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2021, 05:22 PM   #1
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Question Boo - Random Door Bit Fell Out (Regulator?)

So I have been putting in new door seals, which really hasn't been going well for me. I more or less gave up on the passenger Anti-Rattle bits until I get new ones.

Sooo, I moved to the driver's door to just put in the main seal around the inner grove for the window. This actually was my main goal, as both sides moved away about 2~3 inches from the triangle window.

Anyways, as I was running the window up/down to insure my new seal was seated okay, this metal bit fell into the bottom of the door. I assume it is part of the regulator, which would be why my window is all whacky.

I am pretty sure I need a new regulator?
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:32 PM   #2
pjmoreland

Re: Boo - Random Door Bit Fell Out (Regulator?)

That looks like the rear portion of the metal piece that is attached to the bottom of the main window and slides in the rear track. That's a bummer!
Attached Images

pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:49 PM   #3
Grumpy old man

Yep , Now your pulling the glass , Bummer.

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:17 PM   #4
RustyPile

This is probably why you're having problems with the seals.. That piece that broke off helps guide the window up and down in the channel. This not necessarily indicative of a bad regulator.. The channel rubber gets hard and pieces break away.. This causes that piece to dig into the channel. Given enough time and forceful cranking on the window handle, it will break off..

I'm not saying this as brag but I disassembled all the pieces, division bar, vent window, channels, lock mechanism and regulators when I redid mine. It's not that hard. I think you can clean up that broken piece, remove the glass from the carrier channel (part that's attached to bottom of window).. Disassembly is well documented in the service manual.. I would imagine there's some how to videos posted on U Tube.. Clean the area where that broken piece attaches.. Align the two pieces carefully using the old remaining marks.. Spot weld the pieces back together...

This is not rocket science, you can do it.. Work carefully and check yourself after each step......
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:13 PM   #5
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I don't have welding stuff, nor do I know how to weld - so that is a impossible step for me. I guess I'll be searching for this part now.

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 05-08-2021, 08:06 PM   #6
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Right, questions as I now understand the window is kind of sticky taped into this channel that I need to replace...

1. How do I get the window out of the old lower channel? I'd image it's in there real good?
2. What is the best glass setting tape to use?

I have read that the glass setting tape can be to thick (from Classicparts.com ?) and then have read not to glue it in, say like 3M Window-Weld.

I have also read more than one post, go to a glass shop.... so this seems to be something of a PITA task. Last thing I want to happen is needing new glass too!

Old 05-08-2021, 08:17 PM   #7
57taskforce
All about them K’s

A local body shop should have the right equipment to spot weld it back together the way it came from the factory. The two shops I worked for almost 20 years ago would have both done if for a case of beer.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:28 PM   #8
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

hmm, that didn't even occur to me. Though I already ordered replacements - for both sides. Just to have the other side on my self.

Old 05-09-2021, 07:47 AM   #9
Bones72Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
hmm, that didn't even occur to me. Though I already ordered replacements - for both sides. Just to have the other side on my self.
I wish I would have seen this a couple of days ago.If you wanted I will come to you and weld that piece back on
Old 05-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #10
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

you gotta be kidding me... I am almost in tears. I had Rusty offer to fix it, just pay for shipping and now you Bones...

Old 05-09-2021, 08:46 AM   #11
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I just realized Bones72Super you can mobile tig weld? I'd image you can't weld this with the glass in the channel (I do realize the window would need to come out of the door). BTW, I only posted this yesterday LOL

Old 05-09-2021, 09:22 AM   #12
RustyPile

Quote:
Right, questions as I now understand the window is kind of sticky taped into this channel that I need to replace...

1. How do I get the window out of the old lower channel? I'd image it's in there real good?
2. What is the best glass setting tape to use?

I have read that the glass setting tape can be to thick (from Classicparts.com ?) and then have read not to glue it in, say like 3M Window-Weld.

I have also read more than one post, go to a glass shop.... so this seems to be something of a PITA task. Last thing I want to happen is needing new glass too!
I'm telling you Richard ------ This stuff ain't hard... Welding those pieces is the hard part and either Bones or I have you covered on that part.. I'm a 78 year old retired mechanic.. In the 35 years I worked as one, I never did any glass work.. I redid just about everything in the doors of my C/10, including new rubber seals on the vent window, without a single hitch. Here's a link to an old thread with a good set of instructions w/pictures on how it's done..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=779572
Old 05-09-2021, 09:32 AM   #13
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Hey Rusty - I 100% agree - once you know what to do (properly) that's 1/2 the battle! I also totally get this little bit of metal is child's play to fix, if you have the proper skills and the equipment. I'll buy a lot of 1 time tools in the hopes of needing it later or someone else but not a welder! lol

Thanks for that post Rusty! Btw, you are not that far my my brother in Kilgore and where we grew up in Longview

Old 05-09-2021, 09:55 AM   #14
RustyPile

Quote:
Hey Rusty - I 100% agree - once you know what to do (properly) that's 1/2 the battle! I also totally get this little bit of metal is child's play to fix, if you have the proper skills and the equipment. I'll buy a lot of 1 time tools in the hopes of needing it later or someone else but not a welder! lol

Thanks for that post Rusty! Btw, you are not that far my my brother in Kilgore and where we grew up in Longview
I hope you don't think I'm belittling or making fun of you.. I meant that post as inspiration.. I've got years of experience behind me so I tend to be fearless when working on these trucks. I know how much force to apply before something breaks.. And I try to never give up on something.

A good set of instructions is always the first tool to break out on any project.. Do you have a service manual for your truck?? If not, I strongly suggest you get one...

I'm about 200 miles from Kilgore, but I make trips to that area several times a year.. I'm a Viet Nam era veteran and I receive my medical care through the VA.. Frequently, I go to the VA facility in Temple and another one in Waco.. Several years ago my oldest grandson played Select Baseball.. About 3 times a year he'd have tournaments in Longview. There's no towns of any reasonable size in my immediate area, so when we need to do "serious shopping", we go to Tyler.. It's just down the road from Longview..
Old 05-09-2021, 10:11 AM   #15
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I guess you aren't in Elkhart, because that's about 80 miles from Kilgore!

Nope, not seeing anything you have said as belittling, only as helpful and encouraging. I have all three manuals, Service, Overhaul, and Chassis. I haven't had any problem with 95% of this, I tried to read and watch a number of You Tubes. So getting the door apart and window out is zero issues for me - basic mechanical operations inside a manual door.

My questions come to very specific things, Re: best way to pull apart the window from the channel - then the best product to set the window back into the channel. The latter I ask since others had problems with the "glass setting tape" being to thick and not to use adhesive (or you'll never get it apart again).

I am not scared of this at all but now I have gone down a rabbit hole, I am trying to get all the information I can get - not that I don't think I can do it

Hope that makes better sense where I am coming from on my #6 posting on this stupid broken lower channel :'(

Old 05-09-2021, 10:15 AM   #16
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Oh and to have a glass place to do this, well that is me being extra careful - if I break the glass when trying to get it out of the lower channel... well I'll really feel stupid. There are 3~4 likely Auto Glass places that could do this very near me. So I have to weigh this option, since I'll not have to worry about breaking the glass or getting the wrong window setting tape product.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #17
CG
BlahBlahBlah

My opinion is you should go through the directions in the link Rusty provided you and do it yourself. Going to be another feather in your cap (its a good feeling of accomplishment). Don't overly force stuff and you should be fine.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:03 AM   #18
RustyPile

Quote:
I guess you aren't in Elkhart, because that's about 80 miles from Kilgore!(
YIKES!!! Total brain fart on my part... You said "Kilgore" and I was thinking "Killeen".. Totally different part of the state.. That's why I elaborated on my trips to the VA facility... Let me tell you, Richard... Getting old is NOT for sissies.. lol

Even after 50 - 60 years the glue holding that glass is still strong.. I didn't remove the glass from the carrier channel on my truck but I did talk to a glass guy over in Tyler about doing so.. He uses some kind of chemical to soften/dissolve/remove the glue.. All of the bonding material gets replaced when installing the glass...

Not to place you at risk, but if the bit of welding is the only reason to remove that glass, I'd rather not, but I can weld it with the glass in place.. It's just 3 - 4 spot welds and far enough away from the glass that all that's needed is a welding blanket to protect the glass from the spatters... If you need to remove the glass for other work, I think it's a good idea to have a glass shop do it for you..

While we're on the subject, if you haven't already, I suggest you replace the window channels also. No special tools or glue needed. If the channel felt or rubber gets bad, that broken piece digs in and causes more damage.. On the driver's side, mine dug in so bad the window got jammed about mid-point and wouldn't go up or down...
Old 05-09-2021, 11:14 AM   #19
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I haven't any problem with the basics of dis-assembly or re-assembly of the door bits (that thread is a really great how-to-do).

My issue/questions is only on getting off the glass from the lower channel (I assume it's stuck in this thing good) and the best/proper product to get the glass secured into a new lower channel. Unless I missed it, that thread doesn't over this part.

I might be making remove of the glass from its lower channel more than I need it to be but I haven't done this before. I only know I don't want to break the glass! In my mind I am thinking I need to heat it up real good with a hair dryer to loosen up the old glass setting tape. But I am guessing at that.

Then getting new glass setting tape, I can see how if the glass setting tape I buy is only a few millimeters to thick I'd be in trouble - I read another thread where this tape was to thick and it did cause assembly problems. I am almost thinking, screw it and buy some 3M Window Weld off Amazon!

Old 05-09-2021, 11:25 AM   #20
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

@Rusty - Now we are good on our locations in Texas LOL

So, the only reason to remove the glass is to get the lower channel sorted out! The felt channel run is in good shape, there wasn't any problems (overly firm) rolling up/down the window before. T

The main for this door work was because of a 1~3 inch gap at the top of the window, where the felt *should* butt to the triangle. As I had got the new felt into the lower channel on the driver's side, I was moving my window a bit and that metal bit just feel into the bottom of my door! Oh, the outside anti-rattle rubber seal has started to peel apart.

So, as I feared / assumed - the window glass (should) be well stuck in place into the lower channel... that only makes sense after all these years.

Old 05-09-2021, 11:52 AM   #21
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Just chatted with Bones72Super on the phone, what a stand up guy and so very helpful! Looks like we will try to mig weld this bit back together. He even feels this can be done pretty easily with properly protecting the glass without removing it (from the lower channel that is but of course needs removal from door). If something goes south, he even has a "plan b" for me!

Wow, not sure what I can say other than there are great people on this forum! That goes for Rusty too - he is just to far away

Last edited by Rich72C10; 05-09-2021 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:34 PM   #22
old51sedan

I think it's wonderful that there are a couple of guys close by like this that are willing to help out someone else in the hobby when they need a hand. That to me is what this is all about, I just wanted to give both of you guys a round of applause, we all need some help and a little encouragement once in a while.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:53 PM   #23
Richard

Here is a pretty good thread about door assembly. https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=732400 It was locked so it cannot be brought to the top and is really buried.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:57 PM   #24
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Window is rolling up!

Thank you Bones!

Last photo - payment :-)
Attached Images

Last edited by Rich72C10; 05-11-2021 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:31 PM   #25
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Window is rolling up!

Thank you Bones!

Last photo - payment :-)
See I told you it would cost a case of beer!
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote