The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2021, 05:10 PM   #26
usernamessuck

Re: Swap Shop Chevy K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
My old K20. The tires are Swamper Radial TSL 16.5x33x12.5. I had to wait a bit for the tires. Sounds like they make em in batches these days.
I love the juxtaposition of the blue and red of your truck!!
usernamessuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:46 PM   #27
usernamessuck

I've been out of country for the last week soaking up some Mexican sun but I'm going to try to catch up to where we actually are in time. Here's the start. Just a bunch of pictures of the nightmare I've gotten myself into.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2021, 11:47 PM   #28
usernamessuck

Continued...
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2021, 09:00 PM   #29
usernamessuck

Brakes

Since this is going to be my summer daily driver I wanted to concentrate on some of the important things first. I ordered a bunch of new brake parts; hoses, pads, shoes, wheel cylinders, calipers, brake fluid, master cylinder and hoped I could get away with the discs and drums on the truck. Everything came in and I got to work.

About this time the fellers in the shop talked me into rear discs. I did a little research and realized how cheap and easy (foreshadowing) it is to swap discs on a 14FF. I ordered the brackets, discs, calipers, seals, and bearings when I realized that this truck shouldn't have a 14 bolt in it.

By this time I had mistakenly concluded that the truck had been in an accident bad enough to bend the rear springs because they sat in the truck all crazy like. Taking a closer look made me realize the PO had just bolted up a 14 bolt from a newer truck without moving the perches. Wonky spring situation solved.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2021, 09:18 PM   #30
usernamessuck

Shackles

So now that I had some stuff figured out I had to get to work. I pulled the rear end out and realized that the shackles were different. One was even half an inch longer than the other. I had one day to get this done and back under the truck or I would overstay my welcome in our machine shop. Having no time to order any I put the resources of the shop together and built some. I plasma cut the blanks, formed the sides, and welded the whole works together. Again, if anyone wants drawings or data for any of this stuff then just let me know.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2021, 09:33 PM   #31
usernamessuck

Rear End

I pulled the rear out of the truck and got to work cleaning it up. I got it up and mostly welded to the table level and got to work with the magic wand. Having the right tools makes this sort off thing super easy and I had the perches and shock mounts off in about an hour.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2021, 09:35 PM   #32
usernamessuck

All Clean

Tip: Don't cover the axle ends in duct tape to protect them from hot balls. It was ridiculous to try to get all of the sticky off.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2021, 10:01 PM   #33
usernamessuck

More Fab

I needed some spring perches and shock mounts so I got on the computer and drew some up. Cut out the blanks on our jet and formed them up. If anyone wants any more details on the fabrication process just let me know and I'll explain the flow through a fab shop. I also made a couple extra because I wasn't sure how they'd turn out. If you want them then let me know and we can work out a creative trade.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2021, 10:13 PM   #34
usernamessuck

Blue Light

So I bought a bunch of fancy pants welders for my fellers at work and they make it look like I know what I'm doing. Once you've run pulsed MIG you'll never want to do it any other way.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2021, 10:19 PM   #35
usernamessuck

Springs

While I had the whole works apart I wasted a bunch of the time I didn't have and cleaned the rear springs up. I ground 10 pounds of rust off of the works and installed some new hardware. A little black paint and new bushings and back in the truck.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2021, 10:25 PM   #36
usernamessuck

Rear Discs

Got the rear discs installed.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2021, 10:29 PM   #37
usernamessuck

Wider

I forgot to post these with the spring pictures. I was struggling to get the springs back in their pockets so I grabbed a portapower and widened them a bit.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2021, 10:36 PM   #38
usernamessuck

Shocks

I want to wait until I get the whole works together before I decide if I want a lift the truck any. Does anyone know if the K20 sits higher than the K10? My daughter's truck works with the 33 x 12.50's barely but I'm gathering that the K20 body mounts make the body sit slightly higher. If anyone has insight on this then let me know. I bought the cheapest best shocks the auto parts store had until I decide and slapped them on. Also went down to the local GMC dealer and got the u-joint straps.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2021, 10:06 AM   #39
landarts
landarts

Nice truck project. I love it when someone brings one of these forgotten or battled trucks back to life. Again great work here!

What 8 lug rear disc swap kit is being used on the back?
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:29 AM   #40
lunatic1968

Cool build. I'm interested in knowing what the "magic wand" is ? I don't believe I know what that tool is. I like the fab work you've done so far, giving this truck a new life is an awesome feeling in the end.
lunatic1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:28 PM   #41
usernamessuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarts View Post
Nice truck project. I love it when someone brings one of these forgotten or battled trucks back to life. Again great work here!

What 8 lug rear disc swap kit is being used on the back?
I can't remember how I found it, but you should be able to find the brackets by searching for 14 bolt disc brake brackets. The calipers and rotors are the same as the front. I even used the same front brake lines as the front. The company I bought the brackets from had the worst customer service, but I can't remember where I got them to steer you away. It was a super simple conversion; just lost the e brakes.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:31 PM   #42
usernamessuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatic1968 View Post
Cool build. I'm interested in knowing what the "magic wand" is ? I don't believe I know what that tool is. I like the fab work you've done so far, giving this truck a new life is an awesome feeling in the end.
We call it the magic wand at work because of it's magical properties of relentless destruction. It's a process called air arcing, and basically it uses electric current through a graphite rod along with compressed air blast to melt and remove the molten metal. You should be able to YouTube it if you want to see it in action. VERY LOUD!
Old 11-30-2021, 09:56 PM   #43
usernamessuck

Sorry it has been so long, life has been super busy. So the studs that I bought and hammered into the hubs were about 1/4" too long. I may regret doing it but I made a set of spacers to fix the lug problem and fix another thing I don't like about these trucks. When you look at them from behind the axle seems a little too narrow. I'm sure Chevrolet did this for a reason but image is everything. Since I had a nice big piece of 7075 aluminum and a water jet at my disposal I drew them up and cut them out. They're cut to have the modern metric pattern and the older merican pattern. I'll offer again, if anyone wants cut files or drawings for any of this just let me know.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2021, 10:01 PM   #44
usernamessuck

The guys at work kept stealing the cart I had all my junk on so I built myself one. It's too wide but it works great! I can pile heaps of junk on it! Just a bunch of flat steal and a piece of pipe.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2021, 10:04 PM   #45
usernamessuck

I built some little tabs to use front brake lines on the rear. It makes it easier when the front and rear match, less part numbers.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2021, 10:14 PM   #46
usernamessuck

The Quadrajet was leaking so bad that there definitely would have been a fire. More likely sooner rather than later. I was going to rebuild it when I found a sweet deal on a Holley that is too big for this engine. I had to buy a flashy new air cleaner because we fancy.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2021, 10:28 PM   #47
usernamessuck

Off comes the doors and cab. I built a simple spreader bar that lets me lift the cab from the drip rails. With everything in the cab it balances way farther forward than I would have guessed. This was back when pond dried lumber was selling for $400 a board foot also. Having a crane makes this silly easy.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2021, 10:47 PM   #48
usernamessuck

I've lost track of all the bad decisions up to this point, but this one may be the biggest so far. Fired up the Hotsy and dug for transmission leaks. It's been months since I did this and not one single drop on the floor. Everything must be out of fluid!
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2021, 08:42 AM   #49
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice work on the truck! I have a 72 K20 I'm gearing up to do the same on. It's rough but they are slim pickins around here. Awesome work on your cart and nice work on your spacers. I also agree these trucks look dumb from the rear with the narrow rear end and skinny tires. Keep up the great work!!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:18 AM   #50
usernamessuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Very nice work on the truck! I have a 72 K20 I'm gearing up to do the same on. It's rough but they are slim pickins around here. Awesome work on your cart and nice work on your spacers. I also agree these trucks look dumb from the rear with the narrow rear end and skinny tires. Keep up the great work!!
Thanks! I have about 6 months worth of pictures to add to catch up to where I am currently. Get ready for yellow.