The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2023, 05:28 PM   #1
Kudzupatch

Best replacement AC compressor?

Mine is out again, this time it just leaking instead of locked up. Tired of replacing the A/C compressor every 4-5 years.

Is it worth buying an AC Delco this time?
Another brand new unit?
Gone the rebuilt route in the past and not to impressed.

It is in a Suburban with rear air so doesn't look like I get hoses to change over to the newer style compressor or I would seriously look at that.
Kudzupatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 10:21 PM   #2
ChevyTech

Re: Best replacement AC compressor?

Here is a link I saved about converting the trucks with the R4 (radial 4 cylinder) compressor, which I feel is just junk, to a Sanden compressor. The people that have done this have been very happy with the result.

https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/s...b56f95f24d282/
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 01:21 PM   #3
Tom
driving is in my blood

I'd never buy anything but an ac delco compressor....
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 01:48 AM   #4
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I'd never buy anything but an ac delco compressor....
Do not know what to do now. In 2020 I replaced the A/C compressor in my 94 twice in two months with the Orielly premium units. One was leaking at front shaft seal right away, other had clutch fail after a couple of weeks. They refunded my money after the second failure. The new AC Delco piece that was more than twice as much and had a very short warranty period failed in about two years. I have worked in home and auto A/C since 1983. Original compressor lasted quite a few years. So I suck or the parts do.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 02:38 AM   #5
Just call me Sean

I was thinking of swapping on one of these types. The first is from my 92 van, and I have the brackets to do that one. The second is the one on my 99. I don't have brackets to do that one but it might be the better/easier swap. I haven't figured out how I would do the hoses for either yet.
Attached Images

Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 09:18 AM   #6
ChevyTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Do not know what to do now. In 2020 I replaced the A/C compressor in my 94 twice in two months with the Orielly premium units. One was leaking at front shaft seal right away, other had clutch fail after a couple of weeks. They refunded my money after the second failure. The new AC Delco piece that was more than twice as much and had a very short warranty period failed in about two years. I have worked in home and auto A/C since 1983. Original compressor lasted quite a few years. So I suck or the parts do.
The old long axial compressor from decades back was tough and if there was a failure it was the front seal or a pulley bearing so it was worth repairing. When GM came out with the 4 cylinder radial compressor, a new phenomenon became well known and we called it the black death. With the R4 compressor replacement was commonplace.

With every compressor replacement, a new accumulator, and a system flush is a must if it had the back death, which refers to a compressor that had its internals grind up sending dark metal colored oil and debris through the system. We had a liquid cleaner at the dealership that was used with a flushing system to clean the system. Back in those days the flushing system used R12 refrigerant as the propellant for flushing.

I have a VERY low opinion of the R4 compressor, and if you are getting the system cleaned out, and the new compressors are failing, I would bet the compressors are the problem.

Low quality parts are everywhere now. Even on the dealers shelves.
Old 05-18-2023, 09:25 AM   #7
ChevyTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
I was thinking of swapping on one of these types. The first is from my 92 van, and I have the brackets to do that one. The second is the one on my 99. I don't have brackets to do that one but it might be the better/easier swap. I haven't figured out how I would do the hoses for either yet.
In my area there are shops that will make hoses for hydraulic and AC systems. They look as good as the factory hoses. My guess is Florida has shops doing the same with AC being more of a necessity there.

Last edited by ChevyTech; 05-18-2023 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Wording fix (being)
Old 05-18-2023, 11:34 AM   #8
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTech View Post
In my area there are shops that will make hoses for hydraulic and AC systems. They look as good as the factory hoses. My guess is Florida has shops doing the same with AC be more of a necessity there.
I had NAPA repair the hose for my van because I couldn't find a new one. I can get a 93 hose assembly new, but not a 92 for some reason. I think it's because 93 is when they switched to 134a on the vans. I like to try and find off the shelf parts that will work first but NAPA will be my rescuer if I can't. I actually swapped the high side hard line for a 93 onto my 92 so I wouldn't need a high side adapter anymore. I had already bought a 92 accumulator but next time I'll get a 93 one so I won't need the low side adapter either.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:01 PM   #9
ChevyTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
I had NAPA repair the hose for my van because I couldn't find a new one. I can get a 93 hose assembly new, but not a 92 for some reason. I think it's because 93 is when they switched to 134a on the vans. I like to try and find off the shelf parts that will work first but NAPA will be my rescuer if I can't. I actually swapped the high side hard line for a 93 onto my 92 so I wouldn't need a high side adapter anymore. I had already bought a 92 accumulator but next time I'll get a 93 one so I won't need the low side adapter either.
My 1993 Silverado has R12. I think 1994 was when the trucks got R134A
Old 05-18-2023, 04:30 PM   #10
Just call me Sean

Quote:
My 1993 Silverado has R12. I think 1994 was when the trucks got R134A
Yea my 93 2500 was still R12. I had researched all that earlier when I was more involved with doing the swap, the year they switched and which parts were different. But I don't remember any of it now and even though I wrote it all down I have no idea where I put it.
Old 05-19-2023, 02:13 AM   #11
Richard

My 94 runs 134a. Stock compressor lasted 26 years and over 150,000 miles, owned the truck since new. Changed everything but the condensor and evaporator at the first compressor swap and coils and hard lines were flushed because of mechanical failure. First rebuilt compressor never saw refrigerant as it was leaking when I pressurized system with dry nitrogen. Second rebuilt compressor clutch gave out in short time. System was still clean and holding pressure when I changed to the OEM Delco compressor so I saw no need to replace orifice, accumulator and hoses again. Two years seems like a short time for an OEM part.
Old 05-19-2023, 02:38 AM   #12
Just call me Sean

I forgot to mention, two years is about what I get out of those compressors. That's why I was looking at swapping on one of those others.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:30 PM   #13
Jeepwm69

Tagging for info. Need to do something with the kaput R4 on Dad's 95.

The compressors on the newer OBS (96ish-99?) seem to be a good option but you have to replace everything on the front of the engine, right?
Jeepwm69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 04:58 PM   #14
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
Tagging for info. Need to do something with the kaput R4 on Dad's 95.

The compressors on the newer OBS (96ish-99?) seem to be a good option but you have to replace everything on the front of the engine, right?
You would because the alternator and compressor are on opposite sides. I was going to check the spacing of the accessories and crank pulley so I could use whatever combination of brackets I liked best but haven't done that yet. If they're the same spacing then with the 96-99 drivers side compressor I can use the van alternator bracket which is on the passenger side. But if you switched everything you could upgrade to the newer alternator too.
Old 05-26-2023, 03:22 AM   #15
Richard

Been looking into a Sanden swap for my 94 and brackets seem available. OEM look is not a problem for me. Wish I could find a Sanden compressor that would connect to my original lines or with an adapter. Will call the A/C retrofit companies when I have a chance. Bet that their generic kits is all they can offer. Custom lines may be my only choice.
Old 06-07-2023, 02:19 AM   #16
Richard

Ordered the R4 swap brackets, 7 piston 508 compressor and the 6 bolt R4 fitting head from Dirty Dingo. Should be able to use my existing hoses with the new head. Should save some time and allow use of factory type hoses in the future. Will see how the swap goes. My friend has had a Sanden swap in his 90 Suburban for over 5 years. Wish me luck.
Old 06-07-2023, 06:44 AM   #17
ChevyTech

Quote:
Ordered the R4 swap brackets, 7 piston 508 compressor and the 6 bolt R4 fitting head from Dirty Dingo. Should be able to use my existing hoses with the new head. Should save some time and allow use of factory type hoses in the future. Will see how the swap goes. My friend has had a Sanden swap in his 90 Suburban for over 5 years. Wish me luck.
Give us an update after the install and let us know what you think of it.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:31 AM   #18
Richard

Quote:
Give us an update after the install and let us know what you think of it.
Will do. Trans is out right now. Went cheap on last rebuild and it failed quick. Will rebuild with same parts as first time this weekend and install following weekend. Then get A/C working. Expecting all a/c parts by end of week. Probably order new accumulator and orifice just to be safe. Do not want to repair soon again. The refrigerant is not really cheap anymore. I still get it wholesale, but everything is to much now.
@Kudzupatch any of this info in the thread interesting to you?
Old 06-09-2023, 02:45 PM   #19
Jeepwm69

Quote:
Found the brackets. Can't find the compressor or the head to see what you're looking at doing. Have a link?

Found the head by searching part number, but couldn't find it on the DD website. Was on Amazon.

So you ordered brackets, new compressor, and head, and that will allow you to swap on a new compressor using your existing lines (and presumably you should replace orifice and dryer while you have it all apart)?
Old 06-11-2023, 03:19 AM   #20
Richard

Quote:
Found the brackets. Can't find the compressor or the head to see what you're looking at doing. Have a link?

Found the head by searching part number, but couldn't find it on the DD website. Was on Amazon.

So you ordered brackets, new compressor, and head, and that will allow you to swap on a new compressor using your existing lines (and presumably you should replace orifice and dryer while you have it all apart)?
That is the plan. Compressor and head were purchased
on Amazon from Dirty Dingo. Compressor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019P6GZIU...roduct_details
Head https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LGCHWX...roduct_details
Brackets direct from Dirty Dingo https://www.dirtydingo.com/shop/prod...oducts_id=1622
Orifice and accumulator also available on Amazon. but may just pick up at local parts chain.
Still have to run and get a new jug of 134a from my local HVAC supplier. For just a bit more than parts store refrigerent to do my 94 and 72 trucks I can get 30lbs.
Compressor on Dirty Dingo website has additional shipping charges https://www.dirtydingo.com/shop/prod...oducts_id=1675
Head on Dirty Dingo website https://www.dirtydingo.com/shop/adva...B-R4&x=24&y=10

Last edited by Richard; 06-11-2023 at 04:48 AM.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:40 AM   #21
Jeepwm69

Quote:
That is the plan. Compressor and head were purchased
on Amazon from Dirty Dingo. Compressor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019P6GZIU...roduct_details
Head https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LGCHWX...roduct_details
Brackets direct from Dirty Dingo https://www.dirtydingo.com/shop/prod...oducts_id=1622
Orifice and accumulator also available on Amazon. but may just pick up at local parts chain.
Still have to run and get a new jug of 134a from my local HVAC supplier. For just a bit more than parts store refrigerent to do my 94 and 72 trucks I can get 30lbs.
Compressor on Dirty Dingo website has additional shipping charges https://www.dirtydingo.com/shop/prod...oducts_id=1675
Head on Dirty Dingo website https://www.dirtydingo.com/shop/adva...B-R4&x=24&y=10

Thank you for all of that! Dad doesn't drive much anymore but I'd like to get the AC working in his 95, and don't really want to do it over and over again with R4's.
Old 06-14-2023, 01:19 AM   #22
Richard

Quote:
Thank you for all of that! Dad doesn't drive much anymore but I'd like to get the AC working in his 95, and don't really want to do it over and over again with R4's.
Glad to help. Maybe wait to see if it all works out for me if you are not in a big hurry. Did the transmission rebuild last weekend and will install next Saturday. Have the parts and refrigerant now and will get on A/C after the coming weekend.
Old 06-14-2023, 12:38 PM   #23
Jeepwm69

Quote:
Glad to help. Maybe wait to see if it all works out for me if you are not in a big hurry. Did the transmission rebuild last weekend and will install next Saturday. Have the parts and refrigerant now and will get on A/C after the coming weekend.
I will certainly wait and see how your project works out. Please post lots of pics!

I had to pull the evap core on my old daily driver Accord a couple of weeks ago to replace the expansion valve, and did the dryer at the same time. Vacuumed it down and recharged it and it's working great now, so hoping I can get Dad's truck AC fixed too now that my confidence level with AC work is a little better.
Old 07-20-2023, 02:42 PM   #24
Jeepwm69

Quote:
Any progress on this? Had to take the parents' minivan to get a new AC unit last week, and it barrreeeely fit.

Dad said "Really wish I could get the AC fixed on my truck where it would last"
Old 07-25-2023, 03:37 AM   #25
Richard

Quote:
Any progress on this? Had to take the parents' minivan to get a new AC unit last week, and it barrreeeely fit.

Dad said "Really wish I could get the AC fixed on my truck where it would last"
Apologize for lack of updates. Truck has been neglected due to lack of time from work and other frustrating reasons I do not want to get into. Mounted Compressor last weekend and it installed with no problems. I picked up the correct serpentine belt today. Hose/manifold fits compressor but has some obstacles to overcome. Will start a new thread soon with pics.