The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
chevyhed53

Dome light

OK, here's a weird one: I need to rewire the dome light in my '56 Chevy stepside. I don't want to wire it to the headlight switch, instead I'm just going to put a basic toggle switch on it. Problem is, I ran mechanic's wire as far as I could through the hole where the original wiring came through on the light fixture, and I can't make any progress--in other words, I can't figure out where to run the wire to power. I assumed it snaked down behind the driver's left shoulder (more or less) and under the running board and up into the firewall. But I can't do it. I still have my gas tank behind the seat. Any suggestions? Thanks!
chevyhed53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Russell Ashley

Re: Dome light

My original wires went through the windshield post and over the drivers side top and then over to the light. Originally the light had power to it all of the time and the light switch just provided a ground when you turned it on. To do what you want to do I would get rid of the original wires, and just ground one side of the light to the cab. Then run a wire from the switch you will be using out through the firewall and down under the cab and up into the cab through the rubber grommet where the gas sending unit wires come through the floor. It's easy to then fish it up to the light. You could also just run the wire under the carpet instead of routing it out through the firewall.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
OrrieG

The stock wiring runs up the drives A pillar, then across the drivers side of the roof to the dome, at least that is how my 59 is wired. the stock wiring thru the switch varies the ground resistance through the reostat so you can get varying light level: mood to map reading! You will need to find a power source and just ground the light at the dome screws. If you want to run door switches, then they become the ground, normally open, close to ground when you open the door.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
chevyhed53

Thanks very much for the replies. I figured the wires ran through the a-pillar. I'll give it another shot.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
The stock wiring runs up the drives A pillar, then across the drivers side of the roof to the dome, at least that is how my 59 is wired. the stock wiring thru the switch varies the ground resistance through the reostat so you can get varying light level: mood to map reading! You will need to find a power source and just ground the light at the dome screws. If you want to run door switches, then they become the ground, normally open, close to ground when you open the door.
Orrie, I think you are a little mistaken about how the panel and dome lights work. The panel lights are grounded by their sockets and the reostat on the light switch varies the amount of resistance in the 12 volt side. The dome light is wired directly to 12 volts through the "D" tab on the light switch and is turned on by the grounding contact on the switch when you turn the switch knob fully counter clockwise. Turning the knob clockwise dims the panel lights but this would turn off the dome light. The dome light is completely independent of the panel lights.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
chevyhed53

That's how my headlamp switch works, but I probably will just put a single-pole switch somewhere in the line to the dome light, assuming I can snake the wire through.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
Stephanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Orrie, I think you are a little mistaken about how the panel and dome lights work. The panel lights are grounded by their sockets and the reostat on the light switch varies the amount of resistance in the 12 volt side. The dome light is wired directly to 12 volts through the "D" tab on the light switch and is turned on by the grounding contact on the switch when you turn the switch knob fully counter clockwise. Turning the knob clockwise dims the panel lights but this would turn off the dome light. The dome light is completely independent of the panel lights.
So, just throwing this out there, would I be able to pay you to come and wire our truck up when the time comes?? Haha! This will definitely help us when we go to fix our dome light

1950 Army Chevy 3100 build: The Chester Chronicles

Proud Army Wife!
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
chevyhed53

And if you can give me some advice on how to snake that wire through--I've tried mechanics wire and the old standby wire coat hanger, and they just hang up--I'll certainly pay you in some cold ones!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
Stephanie

I think this video is what you need
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=448124

1950 Army Chevy 3100 build: The Chester Chronicles

Proud Army Wife!
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Looks like I had it backwards. Thanks for correcting it.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
chevyhed53

Amazing! This is exactly what I need. Thanks!
Old 07-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
_Ogre

get some 1/2'' plastic strapping like they hold boxes on pallets with and fish it down the windshield post
i tried fishing it up for a while with no luck, fishing down worked for me.
it might take a couple of attempts, try tweeking the end with a slight bend in or out.
it took me less than 5 min to fish from the top
then tape the wire on and gently pull the wire up
if it snags on something pull down and up a couple times

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
chevyhed53

I ended up running it along the top of the backglass, then down behind the seat, drilled a small hole and ran the wire underneath the step along the seam, then up through the door pillar/A-pillar cavity to power. Where it is exposed, I wrapped it neatly (of course!) with fabric split loom (great stuff, though expensive) and clamped it in a couple of places, and it looks like I knew what I was doing. Put an in-line toggle switch down where my left hand can reach it just behind the door and flip it on. Hey, it's not restoration-quality, but it works!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #14
Russell Ashley

Not trying to take over this thread but since the topic is interior lighting I thought I would show what I did for courtesy lights. I used a push in light that uses a single element bulb and grounds through the socket. I got the switches at NAPA, Echlin p/n DJ6133. You will have to drill a hole in the hinge pillar and then file a couple of "Wings" and the switches just slip in and lock. You run power to one side of the switch and from there to the light. I have mine set up with each side independent of the other so that only the driver side comes on when that door is open. They have no connection with the dome light and don't come on when it's turned on. It's an easy project but plan ahead better than I did if you will be installing A/C later. Mine is closer to the A/C vent than I would like it to be.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
chevyhed53

Looks like a nice, clean job. I had to buy a new socket with pigtail for my dome light, but otherwise the piece was in good shape, so I wanted to re-use it. I didn't even bother trying to hook up a door-jamb switch. With the amount of time I'm spending on working in the cab, that door would be open all the time anyway. Thanks for sending the picture.