The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2022, 04:00 PM   #1
dirtscoots

New blazer owner

I recently acquired a 72 blazer from a buddy. It’s pretty clean definitely a project though. I appreciate all the information on this site I’ve been reading for the last few months. Right now I’m a bit overwhelmed as to how deep I want to dig into this project. I’ve read many build projects on here, there are some very very nice builds. My biggest concern is tearing in to deep and never getting the time to put it all back together. Right now it does run but exhaust is spitting coolant. It needs some wiring cleaned up and fixed I think will be my first priority. The top needs to come off and I can explore why exactly a ratchet strap is holding it down! It is a double wall top My best guess is there just isn’t bolts for it. Im sure throughout the next months/ years I will be asking many bonehead questions on here thanks for any input!
I can’t seem to figure out how to make pictures rotate correctly.
Attached Images

dirtscoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 07:20 AM   #2
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: New blazer owner

Welcome. It looks like you have a great starting point. Keep the posts coming please. I use photo editing software on my devices to crop and rotate the images so they display correctly. There’s a way to hold the phone that will produce images that are upright when uploaded here but I never remember to do that
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:30 AM   #3
dirtscoots

Thank you! The more I look at the wiring po’s have dabbled in the more I’m on the fence of going a hole new wiring harness for the hole truck. Aaw and painless both look nice. At the very least I want to upgrade my fuse box. The tail lights are extremely hacked. I’m thinking going led housings if anyone has nice replacement suggestions.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:33 AM   #4
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

I'd suggest spending the money on the wiring - sure helps eliminate problems. Secondly, get the coolant issue figured out - head gasket issue? Thirdly, drive and enjoy then do small projects.

Nothing worse than getting a project vehicle and tearing it apart and not getting to enjoy it for a while. These trucks don't need to be perfect to be enjoyed!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 11:38 AM   #5
dirtscoots

I agree totally with the wiring. That will be first priority. I’m guessing head gasket. I’ll tear into it. I’m kinda hoping to go with a new crate motor.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:33 PM   #6
truckster

Welcome! I love my Blazer, and it looks like you have a good start. 72 is my favorite year because you get the most modern version of the first generation.

The wiring harness isn't too difficult if you take your time and lay everything out before you start. Before you buy one, you should decide questions like, are you going to run an HEI? Fuel injection? Electric fans? Knowing the answers to those questions will help you get the right harness.

The ratchet strap is strange, but I would bet you're right. If the side panels are off, you can look underneath to see if there are bolts present. Double wall tops bolt from the bottom and single wall tops bolt from the top.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:01 PM   #7
dirtscoots

So here is some samples of the hacked wiring I have in the rear. Po patched and bondo over the taillights and was going to do some kind of roll pan. I’m not into that. I’m trying to do my best to go mostly original. I have nothing for the taillights. It appears I just need a bezel and light kit to complete and of coarse the proper wiring to make it up there.
The last photo is a plug right above the gas tank is this a factory plug that I would be able to purchase a harness to butt into for taillights blinkers and brakes?
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2022, 10:07 PM   #8
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

That plug is on the intermediate harness and would join the rear tail lamp harness. Think about subscribing to the board, which would allow you to post up a WTB ad on the parts boards. You might be money ahead locating some good used OE replacement parts rather than new.

Looks like a PO cut the rear frame horns, which are 72-specific. Fuel tank skid plate? Is the SPID still present inside the glovebox door?

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
Old 04-19-2022, 10:22 PM   #9
dirtscoots

Thank you, any information is very much appreciated. Yes the rear frame was cut for the roll pan idea that never panned out. I did not realize that was a 72 only feature. My plan with the rear bumper was to either make brackets and bolt or weld to the frame. Bolt would be preferred. I definitely do not have a solid plan there yet tho. Yes does have a fuel tank skid plate. The filler hose to my tank is kinked and needing replaced. It’s been sitting long enough I plan to drop the tank for cleaning and inspection of all the hoses and vents.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2022, 10:27 PM   #10
dirtscoots

One more question I have a tailgate off a pickup on here currently. There is a gap between my top door and tailgate. I have found a bracket online that I believe is supposed to go there how is that attached to tailgate? And is it supposed to have a seal that attaches to that bracket?
Old 04-19-2022, 11:08 PM   #11
truckster

It's just attached with sheet metal screws. Mine doesn't have any type of gasket.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:29 AM   #12
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

The top tailgate metal strip you describe seals against the hatch seal.

Old 04-20-2022, 11:07 AM   #13
dirtscoots

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Custom...-127632-2357-0

Has anyone tried these if they are worth anything? I need the hole bezels and everything I’ve been having a hard time finding a lot that comes with everything.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:09 AM   #14
70cst

You have a winner there - nice

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:23 PM   #15
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtscoots View Post
I agree totally with the wiring. That will be first priority. I’m guessing head gasket. I’ll tear into it. I’m kinda hoping to go with a new crate motor.
Get the AAW kit. Fix the heads and drive it. You can decide your mods as you go.
If you tear it apart, it will cost tome and money. Enjoy it.
Mine is nice, I tore it down to the frame. I'm just finishing it. It's been 10 years.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:57 PM   #16
dirtscoots

I actually moved it yesterday out to pressure wash the under carriage and driving 50 yards I talked myself into doing head gaskets with this motor.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:56 PM   #17
'68OrangeSunshine

I have a '71 Jimmy with a double wall top.
I understand that some late MY '71 K/5s were drilled with bolt holes for both Doublewall and Singlewall tops.
By MY '72 only Singlewall bolt holes were drilled.
The bolt patterns are different.
So your earlier Doublewall top is held on by a rachet strap[s] because there weren't holes in the right spots. [I'm guessing.]
You may have to lift the top off to find and mark where the Doublewall holes need to be drilled.
After shooting new holes, you can bolt down your Doublewall top.
As for wiring I went with M&H to repair the PO's hacks.
Good luck.
Welcome aboard.
Nice truck.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 05-03-2022 at 10:14 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:14 PM   #18
dirtscoots

I think your absolutely correct on it having a single wall top from factory judging by the bolt holes drilled in the bedside lol I think it’s been drilled for both and possibly just funzies. My top isn’t the best I have a decent shop it might end up topless for good. But I’m in Oregon maybe a soft top. It seems the more I tear into it the more a perfect restored hot rod becomes hopes and dreams. My parts list is increasing exponentially, and it is very difficult to try and prioritize or even come up with a solid game plan of where to take this rig. Right now make it run drive and go be street legal and we will go from there.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:27 PM   #19
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
I think your absolutely correct on it having a single wall top from factory judging by the bolt holes drilled in the bedside lol I think it’s been drilled for both and possibly just funzies. My top isn’t the best I have a decent shop it might end up topless for good. But I’m in Oregon maybe a soft top. It seems the more I tear into it the more a perfect restored hot rod becomes hopes and dreams. My parts list is increasing exponentially, and it is very difficult to try and prioritize or even come up with a solid game plan of where to take this rig. Right now make it run drive and go be street legal and we will go from there.
Sounds good.
Beware ''Mission Creep.'' Projects can snowball, if you don't put your foot down.
Whatever you do, don't drive with the back hatch up. That's how I smashed up my OEM hatch. It worked perfectly. Then I was out at a friend's ranch, and tried reversing back in thru his cattlegate. Forgot about the top crosswire. CRUNCH.
$500 to Brothers for a new top hatch and a roadtrip to San Francisco to get another $100 worth of inside hatch parts. [Mine blew all over the desert.]
And now, I have to hold my mouth just right to get it to close.
I would probably stick with the factory top if I lived in rain country.
But I have seen nice bikini tops that work with the rollbar -- usually custom-made by a boat top guy. Not cheap, though.

Old 05-03-2022, 10:39 PM   #20
dirtscoots

Thank you! I keep seeing a restored only drive on blue bird sunny days rig. I’m sure reality will soon hit me hahaha. I’m hoping I don’t loose motivation on it. But almost summer and my boys racing dirt bikes and having fun will take my priority pretty soon. My wife hates the color so much she doesn’t even acknowledge it’s existence. I was hoping to get to body work and possibly paint but that is getting farther and farther out.
Old 05-04-2022, 04:12 AM   #21
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Thank you! I keep seeing a restored only drive on blue bird sunny days rig. I’m sure reality will soon hit me hahaha. I’m hoping I don’t loose motivation on it. But almost summer and my boys racing dirt bikes and having fun will take my priority pretty soon. My wife hates the color so much she doesn’t even acknowledge it’s existence. I was hoping to get to body work and possibly paint but that is getting farther and farther out.
Well the Jimmy is my daily driver right now. My '68 C/10 Stepside, that I'd been driving since 1973 was clipped on the right rear quarter in a collision. Until I replace the trailing arms, panhard bar, rear differential and step fender, it's not getting back on the road. I have most of those parts now. Rear diff from a MY '63 is at the shop being inspected. They should tell me Thursday what condition it's in.
And my buddy, who's my mechanic, has Covid.
I like the color of your Blazer. My Stepside is 516 Orange, and the Jimmy is an aftermarket color [maybe Caddy?] called Maui Blue. Hawaii Blue was a GM Squarebody color. I'm not sure if it's the same. A Medium Metallic Blue.
Originally it was painted Copper, a GMC shade. PO's FiL had a body shop in LA. I got the Jimmy in 1995.

Old 05-04-2022, 07:26 AM   #22
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Dirts - does the Blazer have speaker holes in the metal atop the dash between the defrost vents or is it just plain metal across?

Old 05-04-2022, 09:30 AM   #23
dirtscoots

Just defrost vents. Po had a thing for rhino line. The bottom half of the body is yellow rhino line. I’ve been working on peeling that off. So far not to many covered up surprises.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:40 AM   #24
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Just defrost vents.
That was my guess. The Blazer almost certainly had a double wall top originally and the lack of a speaker grille in the dash supports this. Still no definite examples of a St Louis assembled 72 K5 with a single wall top.

Old 05-04-2022, 12:15 PM   #25
dirtscoots

Thank you good info! I’m going to work on head gaskets this weekend hopefully I’ll have time to get the top off too