The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2024, 11:07 PM   #1
PbFut

Hood hinge spring orientation? (Clocking)

My da... ADD has got me obsessing on the orientation or clocking of the spring as it is mounted on the hood hinge. Are the ends of the spring oriented with the end facing up or down. I search with no result. It likely does not matter but I can't release my brain and it's driving me nuts. Thanks all for understanding.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 11:25 PM   #2
zicc1835

Re: Hood hinge spring orientation? (Clocking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
My da... ADD has got me obsessing on the orientation or clocking of the spring as it is mounted on the hood hinge. Are the ends of the spring oriented with the end facing up or down. I search with no result. It likely does not matter but I can't release my brain and it's driving me nuts. Thanks all for understanding.
does this help mine look like this on both sides
Attached Images

zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 11:36 PM   #3
PbFut

Thank you. Given your project is some what mod custom I am still questioning as it is so easy to rotate. I put them on today clocked same as you did but did the factory do so or clock 180 for some some reason not appearent to the average shade tree mechanic? .
By the way. Really nice paint. Looks good
Old 01-12-2024, 11:45 PM   #4
Getter-Done

Here is a link to 12 sets a member had for sale.

Link: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ht=hood+hinges
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 01:07 AM   #5
dmjlambert

I have no reason to believe my hood hinges have ever been messed with, the whole truck appeared original and had 86,000 miles on it as of the 1980s. Based on wear and tear of all the items on the truck I believe it had not been over 100,000. The passenger side has the spring with the ends pointing up, and driver side pointing down. I think they were installed whichever way was convenient to the installer. Release your brain and enjoy them in any orientation. Naturally I would like to see yours with passenger side spring with the ends pointing up, and driver side pointing down, doesn't that counterbalance the Chevy frame twist? Or cause it, I don't remember. :-)
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 02:09 AM   #6
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
I have no reason to believe my hood hinges have ever been messed with, the whole truck appeared original and had 86,000 miles on it as of the 1980s. Based on wear and tear of all the items on the truck I believe it had not been over 100,000. The passenger side has the spring with the ends pointing up, and driver side pointing down. I think they were installed whichever way was convenient to the installer. Release your brain and enjoy them in any orientation. Naturally I would like to see yours with passenger side spring with the ends pointing up, and driver side pointing down, doesn't that counterbalance the Chevy frame twist? Or cause it, I don't remember. :-)
Dave, you're exactly right.. But if you leave the springs in one position more than about 3 months, the tension will pull the twist in the frame back the other way.. My remedy for that is about every 60 days or so, remove the hood springs and reverse them.. This keeps everything straight and aligned..

The following is for PbFut... Here's an item you can add to your ADD list.. Jack up your truck and check the clocking on the nuts on the bolts holding the bed in place.. You'd be surprised in the improvement in ride quality when they're all clocked in the same direction..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 12:36 PM   #7
PbFut

LOL. Great Saturday morning humor. Looking at the thread Getter-Done posted, it seems like most are pointing down. Now to get the valve stems clocked
Old 01-13-2024, 12:45 PM   #8
Getter-Done

If you having already changed your Summer air to Winter air,
It would be a good time to do that while you are clocking your valve stems.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote