The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
Zachary17

The truck that started it all.

So I figure I'd share the story of the truck that started my addiction to squarebody trucks.So 3 years ago when I was 17 and I needed to have my own truck.so for a few weeks I searched Craigslist and there where not many good trucks on there asking to much for what thay worth or where used as farm trucks but I was looking for a stepside and diesel but finding that was not easy anyway.so fast forward to November of 2014 I was stil looking for a truck when I found a ad on Craigslist no pictures and listed as an 82 c10 so I called the guy it was Owend by nice older man who didn't know much about the truck but he wonted 1800 for it so I wasn't expecting a whole lot but when I got there what I found was not what I was expecting. So here's the truck it's an 82 c10 Silverado long bed 305 th350 ran good the interior was clean and the ac even worked.and the paint clean. So here's what I came home with.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Zachary17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #2
Zachary17

And the interior.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2017, 03:48 AM   #3
MrFinland

Re: The truck that started it all.

Very nice truck and I like the color! Do you know what color code your truck is? Do you have pictures of engine room, because I would like to see it, if it is in the original condition?
MrFinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #4
Zachary17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFinland View Post
Very nice truck and I like the color! Do you know what color code your truck is? Do you have pictures of engine room, because I would like to see it, if it is in the original condition?
thanks.the engine bay is a mass but original.now for the paint the build sheet says 63 LT BRONZE MET and 59 MED ALMOND CUS.hope that helps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
MrFinland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary17 View Post
thanks.the engine bay is a mass but original.now for the paint the build sheet says 63 LT BRONZE MET and 59 MED ALMOND CUS.hope that helps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks a lot! If I remember correctly, our truck will be painted with the same color as your truck? I like very much your original truck.
MrFinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #6
Zachary17

Ok everyone it’s Been some time since I last posted.anyways i have done so much with this truck in the last year so I figured go through the list.anyways I just drove the truck for a while till it started leaking coolant so in November I decided to pull the engine.

Last edited by Zachary17; 09-17-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
Zachary17

Ok the pictures I wanted to upload yesterday wont work so guess I won’t use them oh well.so in November I pulled the front end off pulled the engine and trans out.i than got a new water pump and freeze plugs got em installed on the motor put the motor back in the truck than in December I rebuilt the ac and heater box new heater core ac coil new fan.than bought a box of 3m strip caulk to seal them up no more ugly tape on the outside.put the front end back on got the truck running again no leaks.than I just drove the truck for a few months till my truck lust got the best of me! And I bought this
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #8
Zachary17

The truck in back is a parts truck I bought it may.it’s an.82 c10 Silverado 6.2 diesel 700r4 fully loaded truck I was gonna fix it but the truck was in a werck and bent one of the frame horns and someone put a new fender hood and core support on it and called it good till the 10 bolt blew and than the po parked it in a field for the last 6 years so I bought it cheap got it home tried to start it.the engine turned over but it had low compression bad rings so I pulled the engine and trans out and decided to part out the rest
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2018, 10:51 PM   #9
Zachary17

So the main reason I bought the truck is for the engine and it’s a good one.The 6.2 is an early 81 red block with crack free main webs and heads! So my plans for it are to have my machine shop clean it up and Punch it 20 over have it balanced and new cam bearings installed then rebuild the heads And give it a fresh coat of paint.and than I can swap out my worn out 305.but as always my plans will be put off for a few days while I get rid of some stuff in my shop.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2018, 11:07 PM   #10
Zachary17

Ok so back to my first truck.so back in jun my front brakes started making some moise so what should have been a simple brake job became not so simple.heres what the drivers side brake pad looks like.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2018, 11:23 PM   #11
Zachary17

So after I found this I decided to take a good look at the brake system.and on the rear brake line there was 2 compression fittings on the rear line I was not happy about that.and this is where it started I ordered a complete brake line kit form in line tube a new proportioning valve new brake hoses front and rear.than I swapped form the JB3 drums to the JB5.While I was in there new outer wheel bearings and seals and pinon seal.and all new hardware in the drums.plus a new set of KYB gas a just shocks.
Attached Images

Last edited by Zachary17; 09-18-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:33 PM   #12
Zachary17

After I finished the rear I rebuilt the brake calipers new pads sliders and wheel bearings and seals.than I converted to hydroboost t I have always hated the vacuum brakes they suck.new booster master cylinder power steering lines and pump.and while I was doing this I swapped in a 82 tilt column.
Attached Images

Last edited by Zachary17; 09-19-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:51 PM   #13
Zachary17

Than in July I put a few miles and the truck and noticed the difference with the new brakes.and the hydroboost it fills so much better than the vacuum brakes ever did but I did notice that the rear wheels where locking up early so I added an in line adjustable proportion valve.with the valve installed I was able to adjust it so I could eliminate rear wheel lock up in a painc stop.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2018, 12:01 AM   #14
Zachary17

So few more things I have done was fix the ac new orings.fan oil and changed it up with R152a.it blows ice cold now.i also got rid of the factory radio and installed a retro sound radio.the most recent thing I did was I put on a set of 15/8 rally wheels.and bumper Guards.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2021, 09:23 PM   #15
Zachary17

So I haven’t been posted anything about the truck now in a long time and I’m going to charge that.lots of things have changed since I last posted on here.so Back in 2019 the first major change I did was I swaped the 305 and th350 out for a 82 6.2 diesel and rebuilt 700r4 then drove it for a few awhile then I ditched the bench seat for a set of suburban bucket seats and Console that made a big difference in Comfort and room in the cab.didn’t do much to it last year but this year I decided it’s time for body work and paint so I started disassembling it in may this is where I’m at now.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2021, 09:31 PM   #16
Zachary17

My original plan was to paint it grey and red and I am halfway done sanding the body when I Scored this.over the weekend
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2021, 09:34 PM   #17
Zachary17

I really like the longbed stepside it’s cool and I’ve never seen one in person so I decided as soon as I saw it I was going to swap beds
Old 07-11-2021, 10:45 AM   #18
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Lots of great work here! Keep it up. It’ll be nice to see it all painted up and looking good.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:58 AM   #19
Zachary17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Lots of great work here! Keep it up. It’ll be nice to see it all painted up and looking good.
Thanks! I can’t decide on color I can’t decide between a dark grey or red
Posted via Mobile Device