The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > Engine and Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2007, 11:24 PM   #51
prg machine

Re: another cheap electric fan build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Rat View Post
Boog: Yes The factory set-up for a jeep has the fan mounted to the shroud like I have done

prg machine: If you look at any big truck that tows they use mechanical fans, look at any 3/4 or 1 ton truck it uses a clutch fan. electric fans are great but alone by themselves they wont cool well for towing or hauling. If I were you I would try around and see if the electric fan will work or use a combo of electric and clutch fan as jeeps with tow packages had. Sorry I cant give you a 100% straight answer if this will cure all of your overheating problems, I just noticed how it fit and shared it with everyone, for me its far better then my mechanical ever did.

scott68-93-97: Thats correct new vehicles have them run after the vehicle is shut-down. I wasnt worry about killing my battery, i just want it to be nice and cool for when i restart it after traveling.
71 Rat,
If I have it you suggest the conventional belt driven and the electric? If I mount the electric forward in the shroud and run the conventional, would I be restricting flow for the mechanical?? I don't believe I would and it might be the best of both worlds. I putt around a lot at slow speeds out in the woods here in Oregon ( my wife loves the wild flowers, birds and wildlife plus the scenery so I take it slow and get her support in what I love to do, plus I am driving the toys!!) City traffic is not realy any concern as I try to stay out of town. Occasionaly a camper might be on the truck towing our 61 Willys CJ-5 behind or the truck might be loaded with a ton and a 1/2 of heavy firewood, like oak.

some think I would be better off with a milder engine than I have built, 383 full roller and 1.6 rockers 2.02 intake valves , Air Gap manifold and a 750 Carter Performer. Headers etc. But what the hey!!!!!

Old 08-25-2007, 11:33 PM   #52
prg machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71jimmy View Post
WOW, outstanding post!

Hope this isn't a dump question but is there a way to run the fan off the temp sensor for the water temp gauge? This way there would not be a need to drill into the head for a switch. I'm a little leery of doing that.

71Rat, maybe you could give us a little info on how to locate the proper area on the head to hit a water jacket, with the head on. And what you used to drill, tap, and keep the debris out.

Thanks
eACH HEAD HAS THE HOLE, OR GO INTO THE INTAKE MANIFOLD WATER JACKET.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:49 PM   #53
prg machine

yOU GUYS ARE ALL GREAT!! Inroducing a good do it yourself is very excellent stuff. Turning peeps on to a good deal is also good stuff!! I know the forum has rules against selling on the posts, but I remember a guy getting busted for sending out free samples of a penetrating oil if you payed shipping. he had wanted to turn everyone here onto a good item that we should know aboout and could realy use( we don't want to break things when we take them apart)I sure hope this post doesn't turn that way.
A guy tryiing to make a quick buck doesn't seem to apply here as far as I am concerned by the folk who have offered these fans at bargain prices.
Kinda a sensitive issue with some people it seems. I consider thisa club. If I am at a club meeting, some guy mentions a part or two for an alnmost unbelievable give away price ( considering the cost of shipping now days, ) I feel it a friendly jesture.
However, if an individual jumps in with a product for sale that he is building or marketing and taking advantage of the opportunity as a moment to puash his item, then that is not right . I don't see any of that happening here with the offers on the fans.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:41 AM   #54
71jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Rat View Post
71 jimmy: you have a left and right head so worse case is run the stock sending unit in the left head and run the thermo switch in the right head.
71RAT, GOTTCHA, thanks for the great upgrade and all the info.

To the rest of the board: Thanks to all who have offered advise AND parts.

Guys and Gals, don't be so sensitive, we are all friends who like the same trucks. Let's enjoy and play nice.

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
Old 08-26-2007, 08:57 PM   #55
71Rat
ran out of money

PRG machine: that is what i was getting at, a mechanical and electrical combination. i dont know if both will fit but if they do thats what "I" would do for what you describe you use your truck for. i drove around for 3 days with my electric fan not hooked up and my mechanical fan still working and on my temp gauge it didnt even show a difference with the electric fan not even moving.

71jimmy: no problem i hope it works out as well for everyone else as it has for me
Old 08-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #56
shopking72

Excellent write up!

I have an electric fan on mine right now, but it doesnt move enough air, I was hauling some fence materials yesterday and my temp was over 200, too hot for my new motor.

What year of Jeep is the fans off of?

Thanks
2001 Tahoe LT
2013 Hyundai Elantra
2010 Kawasaki Z1000
Old 08-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #57
71Rat
ran out of money

shopking72: the recall fan was for 2000 (WJ's) grand cherokee's and 2002 (wj's) grand cherokee's I dont know all of the years that had these fans but if you want here is the P/N: CBG4F250
Old 09-06-2007, 10:36 PM   #58
clay68c10

Looks like a nice cheap mod. I used the Lincoln MK8 fan and it cools the 454 pretty well, this Jeep fan looks like the same blade size. Just curious, anyone running one of these on a BBC yet?
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
Old 09-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #59
KEH
Better late than never

Looks like a great mod. Does this provide equal or better cooling than the dual fans?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #60
71Rat
ran out of money

KEH: I did the Nissan dual fans on my other truck, they work very well, but i think this fan pulls more air then the maxima fans do. either one i would do again this one was just easier i thought. but the dual fans have 2 speed motors to them
Old 09-09-2007, 10:24 AM   #61
herb101
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortstep View Post
Thanks for the web address SVGOULD - I just ordered mine. Probably won't use it for a while, but I always like to get bargains while they're at the right price. $ 41.12 + shipping for mine.
Is this using the part number CBG4F250? I keep getting "no matching part found". I'd like to order one of these, but that number is turning up nothing at every online OEM parts place I'm checking - what am I doing wrong?

Herb
Old 09-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #62
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb101 View Post
Is this using the part number CBG4F250? I keep getting "no matching part found". I'd like to order one of these, but that number is turning up nothing at every online OEM parts place I'm checking - what am I doing wrong?

Herb
Just go to that website he listed, register as a new account, enter that part number - it goes into your "shopping cart," then go to the checkout area, with a credit card. Took me 2 minutes or so. Very simple. Freight $$$ amount was not shown, which makes me uneasy, but I selected UPS Ground as shipping method. Got my fingers crossed on the amount for the shipping.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #63
herb101
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortstep View Post
Just go to that website he listed, register as a new account, enter that part number - it goes into your "shopping cart," then go to the checkout area, with a credit card. Took me 2 minutes or so. Very simple. Freight $$$ amount was not shown, which makes me uneasy, but I selected UPS Ground as shipping method. Got my fingers crossed on the amount for the shipping.
Thanks - tried it again after registering and still not showing in the parts look-up. I clicked on "home" and logged in (again) and it took me to a different lookup entry. That one seemed to work, so it's ordered.

Odd site mechanics - hope this goes through - LOL

Herb
Old 09-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #64
ABLAZN
Oh..never mind....

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay68c10 View Post
Looks like a nice cheap mod. I used the Lincoln MK8 fan and it cools the 454 pretty well, this Jeep fan looks like the same blade size. Just curious, anyone running one of these on a BBC yet?
For those who are using the Lincoln fan, how did you wire in the two speed motor. I am looking into this option as well. I do not have a shroud and this option would kill two bird with one stone.
Turbo 350
NP-205
454 BB (for now)
MORE TO COME !!!!!! Now going to 2WD!!!!!

Sold.

I got it back after 22 years and did not even know it !!!
THE STORY HERE

Project Low Down Dirty Rat
Old 09-10-2007, 03:00 PM   #65
clay68c10

I used the PWM controller on my Lincoln fan. You only hook up the high-speed wire & ground since the controller varies the voltage to the fan.
13 Tahoe LTZ
Old 09-10-2007, 03:21 PM   #66
ABLAZN
Oh..never mind....

Quote:
I used the PWM controller on my Lincoln fan. You only hook up the high-speed wire & ground since the controller varies the voltage to the fan.
Thanks, one more question, is the PWM controller on the fan itself when you bought it, or did you have to buy it seperate. If you bought, what and where did you get it?
Turbo 350
NP-205
454 BB (for now)

Sold.

THE STORY HERE

Old 09-10-2007, 05:40 PM   #67
Ace in the hole

I have been thinking of using the spal pwm controller for this fan.

http://www.spalusa.com/
Old 09-12-2007, 11:37 PM   #68
BCOWANWHEELS

I JUST FITTED MY NEW JEEP FAN IN MY SCHROUD. wow it fits perfect..... anybody need the specs where to make the notch in the botton. it will save you a lot of time and aggravation on where to make it " just right " pm me if i can help with specs. and photos.
thanks for the great tip my 250 I 6 needed this bad especially in the winter when no fan is needed. i,am real anxious to do a fuel milage run to compare. bet it get better mpg.........
bob
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
Old 09-16-2007, 09:08 PM   #69
71Rat
ran out of money

well here is an update for everyone, i took the truck on a 3 hour drive non stop 160 miles one way with the fan, most all highway... truck tach.ing out at 3,000-3,500 almost the whole way! I didnt know if the motor could handle it but the temp gauge never went over 180! if anyone knows Rt80 from nj out into pa they know it has a lot of hills and going up those hills and flats the truck stayed nice and cool!!

for everyone that does this swap i hope the fan works as well for you as it has for me
Old 09-16-2007, 10:15 PM   #70
pcmcobra

Finally got around to taking some pics of my setup, wired, working and troublefree.

Miami...Flee it like a native

Last edited by augie; 04-18-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:50 PM   #71
72 longhorn BB

This is a really informative thread, and I can't wait to see the additional installed pictures.

For me, the only missing info is what is the normal temp range that these trucks operate at? 185? 200? - they sell both temp ranges. Maybe you have to match it to the thermostat rating, but I dont know.

Also, looking at jegs, you can just buy the temp sensor from if you already have a relay center.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_758607_-1

I have a bunch of extra 4 and 6 socket automotive relay boxes around here, so I guess Ill put one of them to work and use the other relay positions for headlight mods, and whatever else comes to mind.

1972 C-20 Longhorn
402 BB .030" over (409?), curved HEI,
RV cam, quadrajet, dual 3" exhaust, TH 400 ported w/shift kit

1999 K1500 Suburban (old style)
5.7L Vortec
4L60E

"No matter where you go, ........ there you are"

Last edited by 72 longhorn BB; 09-16-2007 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-16-2007, 11:56 PM   #72
clay68c10

ABLAZN; The PWM controller was separate. I bought mine from DCC controls and am very pleased with it, but their customer service sucked... The SPAL controller seems like a nice product for about the same price.
13 Tahoe LTZ
Old 09-17-2007, 10:14 AM   #73
hyarbour

That's all very interesting; but how does it do in LA stop-n-go (mostly stop) traffic. Remember the fan isn't providing all the air flow when on the highway, it's getting rammed through the radiator by the vehicle's movement.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #74
71Rat
ran out of money

hyarbour: I wouldnt have a second thought of driving my truck through LA now with this fan. I will let my truck idle for hours now if gas wasnt so expensive, also i get stuck in traffic and have yet to have a problem. I know highway speeds air gets rammed through the rad but its also running 3,000-3,500 rpms and with my mechanical even at 2,500 for a while i used to start to get a little hot
Old 09-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #75
ABLAZN
Oh..never mind....

Quote:
ABLAZN; The PWM controller was separate. I bought mine from DCC controls and am very pleased with it, but their customer service sucked... The SPAL controller seems like a nice product for about the same price.

Thanks,

I looked into it some after I posted and found most of the same information. It looks like the SPAL unit has been getting good reviews from the guys that have used it and it is available for about $80 shipped. So, my search for a fan begins.
Turbo 350
NP-205
454 BB (for now)

Sold.

THE STORY HERE