The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2016, 05:02 PM   #1
TheLast929

Question Need help with door! (or seat belt)

I've checked the FAQ's and done a thread search with no help for my '63.
I make a right turn and my driver door opens. Good thing the steering wheel is strong! One handed manual steering while holding a door closed is interesting.
I've attached picture that I hope will help. My gaps are good all the way around. Door looks a bit low in the rear when looking at body line.(see pic)
The Three positions of the latch are noted in the pictures. #1= open. #2= 1st catch. #3= 2nd catch/closed. #4 Striker plate.
I cannot move the the striker more than about 1/8 of in inch. It is not set up for realignment. The latch on the door seams to be non-adjustable as well.
I cannot get the door to close far enough to get into the "closed" position. it does the 1st click, but wont hold the door closed.
I have no weather stripping so it is not an issue of the door not closing enough. It goes waaay past flush. IF, I realign the door a bit rear high the latch will engage the 1st stop, but it still won't 2nd "click".
My latch looks a bit worn, but the striker looks fine. In a joking, but not really, i was gonna tack on a little metal to the striker to get the second click!
Any thoughts?
Attached Images

TheLast929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: Need help with door! (or seat belt)

Having just gone through this, I feel your pain. The striker plate on the door sill should adjust quite a bit - about 3/4" in all 4 directions. There is a relatively close relationship between the striker plate position and the door adjustment wedge to help achieve that second catch of the door latch. It sounds like the captured nutcerts for the striker plate might be stuck and causing you the most problem with getting the door to latch properly.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #3
jtrichard

Re: Need help with door! (or seat belt)

Part of the latch inside the door wears ... On mine (also a 63) (same thing right turn and door flew open) i pulled it out and did a little brass build up and and made up for 45 years of wear and it works fine now
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote