The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2022, 07:38 PM   #1
Thealien

PayPal question

I have tried paying a member twice for some parts. Both times he has said they will not release the funds until I have received the parts and has refunded my money saying or implying it was something I did or am doing?

I went to the PayPal site and found this...

https://www.paypal.com/us/brc/articl...s-availability

Has this happened to anybody? I have never had an issue and have sent funds to many members here with no issue. It's not like the money isn't there, they just will not release the funds until shipped or received.

With that being said is the seller being unreasonable not shipping what I paid for?

Thanks
Mark
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:54 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: PayPal question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
I have tried paying a member twice for some parts. Both times he has said they will not release the funds until I have received the parts and has refunded my money saying or implying it was something I did or am doing?

Has this happened to anybody? I have never had an issue and have sent funds to many members here with no issue. It's not like the money isn't there, they just will not release the funds until shipped or received.

With that being said is the seller being unreasonable not shipping what I paid for?

Thanks
Mark

I have never run into that but they keep changing the rules so who knows. It's been a while since I sold anything on there.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 11:51 PM   #3
joedoh

my first instinct is that he is lying to you. and you have been scammed twice. paypal does not have a policy like this.

if he has convinced you to send the money as "friends and family", you will never see the money again, and he will keep tapping you. never ever ever send money friends and family to people who arent friends or family. they want to do this to "avoid fees", but its just THEIR fees, not yours, so they get an extra 3% and YOU lose the ability to reverse the transaction.

if you sent the money goods and services, thats good. my second thought is that you are trying to pay with your bank account and the bank has a weird clause for these types of transactions.

I hope its the second.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:16 AM   #4
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
.... refunded my money saying or implying it was something I did or am doing?

It looks very clear to me. Paypal considers it to be a high risk transaction or new member that has not proven himself by repeated good transactions. I don't see why there would be a problem for the seller to just do the deal according to the information that is on that page (money won't become available to him until you get the parts). Once that seller has some repeated good transactions, Paypal might release these restrictions imposed on him. It's not really your problem and Paypal is just looking out for you and themselves. Paypal does not want to have to refund you without getting their money back from him in case something bad happens with the exchange of goods. I would not pursue buying from this seller, just not worth it.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 01:36 AM   #5
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
my first instinct is that he is lying to you. and you have been scammed twice. paypal does not have a policy like this.

if he has convinced you to send the money as "friends and family", you will never see the money again, and he will keep tapping you. never ever ever send money friends and family to people who arent friends or family. they want to do this to "avoid fees", but its just THEIR fees, not yours, so they get an extra 3% and YOU lose the ability to reverse the transaction.

if you sent the money goods and services, thats good. my second thought is that you are trying to pay with your bank account and the bank has a weird clause for these types of transactions.

I hope its the second.
I guess you didn't read the link I provided?
Old 10-01-2022, 08:25 AM   #6
joedoh

the first time i clicked the link it was about POS point of sale systems, now i see its about funds holds and the the second addendum.

Upload a supported carriers’ tracking number. PayPal will release the payment within three days of the carrier confirming delivery.

this is new, and like dmjlambert said paypal thinks its a high risk transaction. I remember when you bought your blazer, you are a very trusting guy to what a seller says. I would still proceed with caution, they dont hold funds willy nilly and they have added this because of all the fraud lately, dont force it! explain to the seller that YOU dont have the funds, paypal does. i use paypal every day as a seller and i make a habit to leave enough in the account to cover chargebacks, and i dont transfer money until the shipping info is uploaded.

Old 10-01-2022, 10:03 AM   #7
Thealien

The seller is a member in good standing. I have not named him, and I do not plan on it. He has refunded the money, so I am not worried about that part of it. I do think he could/should have just shipped the parts and he would have his money by the time he sells to someone else. I would like to know if it happens when he tries to sell to someone else. In hundreds of PayPal transactions, I have not disputed any of the transactions, so I am pretty sure it is not on my end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
the first time i clicked the link it was about POS point of sale systems, now i see its about funds holds and the the second addendum.

Upload a supported carriers’ tracking number. PayPal will release the payment within three days of the carrier confirming delivery.

this is new, and like dmjlambert said paypal thinks its a high risk transaction. I remember when you bought your blazer, you are a very trusting guy to what a seller says. I would still proceed with caution, they dont hold funds willy nilly and they have added this because of all the fraud lately, dont force it! explain to the seller that YOU dont have the funds, paypal does. i use paypal every day as a seller and i make a habit to leave enough in the account to cover chargebacks, and i dont transfer money until the shipping info is uploaded.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:59 AM   #8
Dead Parrot

My best guess that Paypal for some reason has marked the seller as either new or someone who hasn't sold in a while or a past buyer filed a complaint against the seller. The link provided is primarily about why a seller can't access funds and why that would happen. Doesn't seem to be much you as the buyer can do. Since the seller has refunded your money, might try the old school send a check method and skip Paypal.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:59 AM   #9
joedoh

the link doesnt say anything about a buyer, just the seller, so i would guess its because he has either a brand new account or because he has had some chargebacks.

Old 10-01-2022, 12:25 PM   #10
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
My best guess that Paypal for some reason has marked the seller as either new or someone who hasn't sold in a while or a past buyer filed a complaint against the seller. The link provided is primarily about why a seller can't access funds and why that would happen. Doesn't seem to be much you as the buyer can do. Since the seller has refunded your money, might try the old school send a check method and skip Paypal.
I would do that but if he wasn't willing to wait a few days for me to receive my parts and his funds released he is definitely not going to wait for a check or MO?

He is not new. I see he has sold to more than a few members using PayPal without this issue (could be a very recent dispute). I am beginning to think maybe it's something else and he is using this as an excuse?
Old 11-12-2022, 08:23 PM   #11
joedoh

i got one of these the other day, my first ever. I thought i would share the details:

it is just this transaction, it says the transaction has higher than normal risk.

I sent the buyer my email address, usually i invoice buyers because they always want to do me a favor and send friends and fam but I am firmly in the goods and services category (keeps buyer protections)

he included the words facebook and forum in his payment. those are two hot words right now, scams are rampant on facebook.

I shipped like normal, uploaded tracking, even used the shipstation paypal plugin so it automatically updated my status to shipped. it says the day after delivery i will get the funds released.

the buyer said he disputed a claim last year. all his stuff is verified and address confirmed, so is all of mine.

compare that to your experience. I have taken many payments before and many since this is the only one so i dont know why it made ME out to be the bad guy but cest la vie. I bet its the facebook he put in the memo.

Old 11-21-2022, 02:13 PM   #12
joedoh

update, i actually had to contact PP support, it had been 6 days post delivery and no release of the funds. which is odd since i use the shipstation plugin, and shipstation showed "delivered" with the signature uploaded, but the same screen on PP showed "in transit". they released the funds in 24 hrs after my query though. at first they kept trying to explain WHY it was on hold and linking me to help pages to "help me understand". i uploaded the 3 signatures to the chat instead of explaining, and it was an "oh..." moment.