The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2022, 09:46 PM   #1
MJN

Small town dealership find

There is a small GMC dealer in town and I've gotten to know their service department pretty good. Today I picked up my Envoy after they got done putting my new tires on and figured I would ask if they had any signs or other stuff taking up space they would part with. After chatting with the owner for a little while he took me and my son up stairs in the attic storage. Found some NOS treasures but he wasn't ready to part with much just yet but I could tell his wheels were turning looking at some of the old parts stashed away while telling us the history of the dealership. Lots of 60's Mercury and Lincoln parts from when they sold those brands but I was able to leave with this 3/4 ton hubcap for now- as long as I didn't make it into a clock. Looks like either NOS that the package went missing or an early take off. Hope he calls me when he's ready to part with a few more things.
Attached Images

'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:55 PM   #2
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Re: Small town dealership find

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN View Post
There is a small GMC dealer in town and I've gotten to know their service department pretty good. Today I picked up my Envoy after they got done putting my new tires on and figured I would ask if they had any signs or other stuff taking up space they would part with. After chatting with the owner for a little while he took me and my son up stairs in the attic storage. Found some NOS treasures but he wasn't ready to part with much just yet but I could tell his wheels were turning looking at some of the old parts stashed away while telling us the history of the dealership. Lots of 60's Mercury and Lincoln parts from when they sold those brands but I was able to leave with this 3/4 ton hubcap for now- as long as I didn't make it into a clock. Looks like either NOS that the package went missing or an early take off. Hope he calls me when he's ready to part with a few more things.
Awesome find! I hope he calls you when he's ready.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:31 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Great score!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:32 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

That's cool you still have a dealership like that in your area. Great find!

We had one called Knott & Geisbert that sold GMC, ag equipment, and tractors. Started off building carriages, wagons, and horse-drawn ag equipment. The diesel Jimmy I had until a while back was bought there and I was proud of their sticker on the tailgate. In my owner's manual was a business card with the sales and service manager's names on it. one was a Knott and the other a Geisbert. All those years it remained divided 50/50 between families. I dealt with them a good bit. I did the same thing you did and got to buy up the GMC hubcaps. Urbana after all these years fulfilled it's namesake. I don't even like to go through that town, er I mean huge housing development, anymore. I think there are 5,000 new homes there built in just a few years
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=1213d...sb3Nlcy8&ntb=1

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:12 PM   #5
joedoh

thats a nice find! worth more than a few bucks.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:15 PM   #6
kwmech

Had a friend that worked the local GM parts dept a few years back before he retired. His boss would randomly throw in the dumpster parts that had been sitting on the shelf more than 5 years and write it off. Every time his boss did that he would have a fit.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 02:57 PM   #7
MJN

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
thats a nice find! worth more than a few bucks.
It is but will be hangin on my shop wall for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Had a friend that worked the local GM parts dept a few years back before he retired. His boss would randomly throw in the dumpster parts that had been sitting on the shelf more than 5 years and write it off. Every time his boss did that he would have a fit.
I can relate- the last model series change I was part of in the factory there were roll-off dumpsters brought in for the left over parts. I couldn't watch them get dumped.
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:25 PM   #8
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That's cool you still have a dealership like that in your area. Great find!

We had one called Knott & Geisbert that sold GMC, ag equipment, and tractors. Started off building carriages, wagons, and horse-drawn ag equipment. The diesel Jimmy I had until a while back was bought there and I was proud of their sticker on the tailgate. In my owner's manual was a business card with the sales and service manager's names on it. one was a Knott and the other a Geisbert. All those years it remained divided 50/50 between families. I dealt with them a good bit. I did the same thing you did and got to buy up the GMC hubcaps. Urbana after all these years fulfilled it's namesake. I don't even like to go through that town, er I mean huge housing development, anymore. I think there are 5,000 new homes there built in just a few years
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=1213d...sb3Nlcy8&ntb=1
Yep, my aunt lives north of Frederick on 15. I haven’t been up there in a few years now but man the last time I went, I couldn’t believe how much it had grown. Just like Loudoun. Glad I got the hell out when I did. I’m not a close quarters people kinda person. If I can’t take a whizz off the either the front or back porch in privacy the place is not for me

OP awesome score on the cap. I’ve got a front license plate in new condition from the local Chevy dealer that they were putting on new vehicles in the ‘70’s. I keep meaning to put it on my K20. Same dealer that actually sold both of my Camaros new.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:54 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I'm not sure what's cooler, getting that hubcap or the experience you had getting it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
Yep, my aunt lives north of Frederick on 15. I haven’t been up there in a few years now but man the last time I went, I couldn’t believe how much it had grown. Just like Loudoun. Glad I got the hell out when I did. I’m not a close quarters people kinda person. If I can’t take a whizz off the either the front or back porch in privacy the place is not for me

OP awesome score on the cap. I’ve got a front license plate in new condition from the local Chevy dealer that they were putting on new vehicles in the ‘70’s. I keep meaning to put it on my K20. Same dealer that actually sold both of my Camaros new.
Yeah, Frederick blew up when I wasn't looking (ignoring it, more like). I saw all the houses filling up the land between 15 and Catoctin Mt, which meant a fortune to be made in vinyl siding for me, and wanted no parts in it. My brother-in-law did a lion's share of it and is now semi-retired in Maine on 711 acres now. He still has his 196 acre farm in Wolfsville he rents out.

Last year when I worked for that outfit, we worked out of right at the base of Gambrill State Park, so west of Frederick off of US40. The guy I worked with showed me how to cut through all that development on a new parkway that comes across US15 on a new bridge. I never even saw that bridge before. I cut cross-country up to Thurmont or Emmitsburg when I head north on 15. I couldn't believe it. I didn't know where I was. Trees all grown up, sidewalks, thousands of people, stores, restaurants, schools... like a whole other town where it was probably 5-6 farms.

Back to old small dealerships with hubcaps collecting dust

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote