The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2022, 10:22 AM   #26
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Re: When do you put up Christmas lights ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Richard that is a scary ladder right there. I don't think I would have the nerve, or I would at least have to belt myself to it. If you can do it but think you won't in the coming years, make one more trip up there and install a pulley, and put a rope through it that will withstand the sun and weather. Then you can just pull your star up and let it down as needed for maintenance.
I have been walking the ladders on this style truck since 1988 so it is just 2nd nature to me, but to be fair it is probably the 1st time in several years. I normally use my other one with remote controls & work basket but it is down for repairs. When it gets to the point I can no longer work on the star with the truck I will just cut the tree down to retrieve it
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 02:14 PM   #27
dmjlambert

That is funny right there, retrieval made exciting. I've always got to think of things to rig up with magnets, velcro, pulleys, levers, tab a into slot b, etc. This year I'm working on a system with magnets to attach the lights to the house.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:47 PM   #28
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
That is funny right there, retrieval made exciting. I've always got to think of things to rig up with magnets, velcro, pulleys, levers, tab a into slot b, etc. This year I'm working on a system with magnets to attach the lights to the house.
I have to come up with a way to hang the lights on my gables on the metal roofs. The main part of the house is still cedar shake but soon to be metal, I hope. My lower roofs have metal but not much gable ends. I think this year I'll try the small pony squeeze clamps. I have dozens of those. No plastic light mounting gizmos have worked very well. My cornice is all wood, so there is a reveal on the fascia. I'm thinking to screw cup hooks to the backside where they wouldn't be noticed. On the cedar shakes I use staples. Magnets are a good idea I might consider

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:35 PM   #29
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

If you use cup hooks, get the ones with the 1" diameter. I put up a set of the (about) 3/8" diameter hooks, and they were a real pain to get the power cord into.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 09:29 PM   #30
best view

When my wife gets around to it
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:04 PM   #31
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I have to come up with a way to hang the lights on my gables on the metal roofs. The main part of the house is still cedar shake but soon to be metal, I hope. My lower roofs have metal but not much gable ends. I think this year I'll try the small pony squeeze clamps. I have dozens of those. No plastic light mounting gizmos have worked very well. My cornice is all wood, so there is a reveal on the fascia. I'm thinking to screw cup hooks to the backside where they wouldn't be noticed. On the cedar shakes I use staples. Magnets are a good idea I might consider
On my old house where I lived before I used construction adhesive to glue a strip of galvanized mobile home tie down strap under the eaves. Then I glued a magnet onto each light. I could then use a grabber pick up tool to put the lights up while standing on the ground. It took me about 30 minutes to put up the lights, and about 5 minutes to take them down. I have 1 cup hook under the eaves about every 10 feet, so I could "rough in" the light strands, then use the grabber to put each bulb into place on the metal strip one after the other.

On my new house I am working on something I hope will be better. I bought some 3/4 inch by 8 foot long by 1/16 inch thick aluminum L. I glue magnets on it, then stack another magnet on it then a dab of glue, then clamp it on back of the facia board and keep the clamps on until dry. Then I can remove the clamps and there I have an lightweight thing that snaps into place. I have about 2/3 of the front of my house done. Next I will glue the strands of lights to the L strips. I've already have zip-tied a light set onto one of the L strips to make sure the magnets hold the weight of the L strip and lights plus some adjacent lights, so I think I have enough magnet power. If I need more magnet power I will add more magnets. When I take it down, I will fold it into a Z and put it away. I bought 12 mm round by 3 mm thick super magnets off of eBay with the highest N rating, N52 I think are the highest rating and are very strong. I learned they will rust, because I put the first set under the eaves a few months ago, so now I'm painting them to give them a little protection. My end goal is to be able to put up or take down the lights in a few minutes while standing on the ground. I hope it works out that way.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 08:04 AM   #32
special-K
Special Order

^^^ Sounds like some true engineering and designing going on. Designs that work. The world needs a product to make light installation easy and done from the ground. You should be that guy. I wonder how many fall injuries are handled each year due to homeowners who only use a ladder or get on the roof for this. I know I do that in my work and while I'm up there I am thinking, "Don't be a statistic". I could walk my cedar shake roof, about a 7.5/12 pitch. Once I due metal there will be no more walking the roof. Since the shakes have been getting worse I am avoiding walking on them and only using the ladder. These days there are people you can hire to do it

My house has it's historic flair, so I'm going with cup hooks, keeping it simple and as out of sight as possible. Didn't get any ordered this year, so next year. I'm thinking I'll 'have to' do something different due to metal roofing. The cup hooks have been around long enough to fit the vintage vibe and I'll paint them to blend in. I have removed more cup hooks from houses in my siding business than I could count. I hope to rig a stick to hook them from the ground. I'd like to glue something to the strings (like an eye hook or ring) that will slip on and off the cup hooks.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 11-25-2022 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:38 AM   #33
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

To get to the peak at the front of my house, I made two v-notches in the end of a 10' section of PVC pipe. Hook the wires in them, raise the pipe up and drop the wires into the cup hook. Easy-peasy...for whoever is doing it!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 11-29-2022, 11:17 AM   #34
special-K
Special Order

No lights up yet. Not happening today and rain tomorrow. Once I get the upper lights up the rest comes easy. Hopefully get that early Thursday. Three gables off ladder with three gutter runs on walkable roofs between each. not a big deal, but I've had other things to get done. I still had leaves to get cleared up! Could we just slow it all down a bit??

Tim

Old 11-29-2022, 12:12 PM   #35
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
To get to the peak at the front of my house, I made two v-notches in the end of a 10' section of PVC pipe. Hook the wires in them, raise the pipe up and drop the wires into the cup hook. Easy-peasy...for whoever is doing it!
I did about the same thing Steevee some years ago on the gable end of our house .. the wife was giving me praises for getting the lights up there and I admit....I let her think that until after the holidays when I took them down and then showed her how I did it...and told her.. I just let it slide awhile and gathered in all the pats on the shoulder.. not real bad of me was it ?
Old 11-29-2022, 12:21 PM   #36
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
I did about the same thing Steevee some years ago on the gable end of our house .. the wife was giving me praises for getting the lights up there and I admit....I let her think that until after the holidays when I took them down and then showed her how I did it...and told her.. I just let it slide awhile and gathered in all the pats on the shoulder.. not real bad of me was it ?
Take the credit and run!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 11-29-2022, 01:34 PM   #37
Mid-Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Pack View Post
You`re not alone. I don`t mess with it. Merry Christmas!
Well, I opened my mouth too soon. My wife insisted on putting up our fake tree and inside decorations this past weekend. So I got to dig out boxes and boxes of Christmas goodies. Luckily, she just wanted me to put up the tree and get lost. No outside lights or decoration were required. Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Mid-Pack; 11-29-2022 at 01:40 PM.
Mid-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 11:51 AM   #38
CAMAROBOY68SS

Usually the Saturday after Thanksgiving is when all the Christmas stuff comes out and first non raining day or evening is when the outside stuff goes up. the following week is for the inside of the house.

C10 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=833278

The "Others"
1933 Ford Pickup (Camaro in disguise)
2017 Camaro SS

Life long Chevy guy
CAMAROBOY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:32 PM   #39
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by best view View Post
When my wife gets around to it
Yup . Mine does a nice job I don’t put lights up outside anymore .
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 07:41 PM   #40
special-K
Special Order

I hope tomorrow. The rain today broke while I was in town. Once home I started first with wrapping the green mini lights around the front porch rail to simulate garland. Got the ladder up to start on the main roofline. Went to the barn to get longer staples in the gun and my neighbor saw and we started talking. I barely had time before dark to do the upper lights so at that point I knew the lights will wait till tomorrow. I'm a week behind. Oh well. I love the colorful lights and can't wait to see them all up, even if it will be for a shorter time.

Tim

Old 12-04-2022, 12:34 AM   #41
Warrens69GMC

People take down Christmas lights?
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 02:19 AM   #42
Accelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
Now that's funny.
Accelo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:55 AM   #43
Richard

Ours went up the weekend after Thanksgiving. Same as every year. weather permitting. Cupholders under eves and I can get it all up in a little over an hour including the other lights on hedges, etc. Assemble the tree, my wife and MIL decorate it and put up anything else they want in the house. Easy for me. Take everything down right after new year.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:34 AM   #44
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
Not all! I leave them up on my screen house, barn, and the temporary structure I put up in front of the barn. Oh yeah, the clear lights around my front door and side entry door. Those have all been plugged in since Thanksgiving weekend.

I better get the rest up today. Looks like rain from Tuesday on next week

Tim

Old 12-04-2022, 07:00 PM   #45
dieseldawg142

just did my lights today

Quote:
I know I do that in my work and while I'm up there I am thinking, "Don't be a statistic". I could walk my cedar shake roof, about a 7.5/12 pitch. Once I due metal there will be no more walking the roof. Since the shakes have been getting worse I am avoiding walking on them and only using the ladder. These days there are people you can hire to do it
Cougar Paws Tim!
designed by a roofer for roofers.
in 41 yrs on the roof i have never come across a better roof boot than these, their the industry standard.
6-12, 8-12, 12-12, metal, shingle, slate, don't matter. these boots will keep you from becoming a statistic.
we call them "glue shoes" cause they stick to anything, even wet, slimy 12-12 metal roofs. they will give you a metric ton of confidence when your up there, sliding off is one less thing to worry about.
i also have a set of spike soles for them when doing cedar. i'd show you the spikes, but their in my locker at work right now.
Name:  IMG_0983.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  45.5 KB

they have replaceable soles (i go threw a set of soles about every 6-8 months of HD service)
their super comfy, and last, my wife bought these for me in '08 or '09. she is deathly afraid of heights and was always worrying 'bout me jerking around on 10-12's and 12-12's five, six, ten, twenty stories up...
Name:  IMG_0985.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  37.9 KBName:  IMG_0986.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  41.9 KBName:  IMG_0987.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  32.2 KBName:  IMG_0988.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  29.9 KB
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:35 PM   #46
special-K
Special Order

I've wanted a pair of those. Guess I'll have to once I do my roof. I haven't had the need to warrant the expense.

Got the upper lights all done, except the last strand didn't light up tonight. That one is off a lower roof I can walk. Boy, my shakes are good and ready to go. Gettin' right mossy up there. No more walking that!

Tim

Old 12-05-2022, 12:33 AM   #47
3757chevy

I start putting up in November usually but don't light up til this week. This year I just started putting up Yesterday. I take longer to put them up than taking them down.
MIKE
3757chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:40 AM   #48
Richard

Quote:
I've wanted a pair of those. Guess I'll have to once I do my roof. I haven't had the need to warrant the expense.

Got the upper lights all done, except the last strand didn't light up tonight. That one is off a lower roof I can walk. Boy, my shakes are good and ready to go. Gettin' right mossy up there. No more walking that!
Worked a lot on roofs and the smoother sole of "roofer" boots was good for not holding ground debris to track into homes. Originally used Redwings. Changed to the Sears Diehards for years at work. Almost same as Redwing at 1/3 price. Redwings break in easier but three pairs for one is not worth it. Resole Redwings cost more than one pair of Diehards.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:58 AM   #49
dieseldawg142

Quote:
even if you don't need them, you should have them....
you'll be a big hit with the ladies...
Name:  E8luJCBX0AAEoRX (2).jpg
Views: 85
Size:  63.8 KBName:  182039181_533724460955523_7651541822656384430_n.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  88.0 KBName:  313409524_499871135490802_9140178716178430262_n.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  74.7 KBName:  315446933_508548774623038_8780204482610588419_n (2).jpg
Size:  83.0 KBName:  316952708_521344096676839_7303592684526585949_n.jpg
Size:  54.5 KB
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:54 AM   #50
Grumpy old man

I don't do heights very well BUT I'LL LEARN ON THE JOB TO WORK WITH THAT CREW ! I'll be the ground guy all day and always be willing to work overtime ! WOW !

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote