The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2022, 06:21 PM   #1
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I honestly thought it was a mistake

I stopped to get gas on the way back from my mother's house after Thanksgiving. Pulled into the Sheetz station where I get the 88 octane (15% ethanol stuff). I usually alternate between that and regular 87 octane, as it is always cheaper, usually around $0.35 or so. I saw the sign out front as I passed it. This was not the draw to go there, it was already planned. When I read it, at first I thought I missed something? or that it was a typo/misprint.
Nope, it was real. Gas for $1.99.....yes 1 not 2. The regular was $3.28, so I just assumed the $2.99 part, which is still way better than anything lately.
The $1.99 was real, I got 15.5 gallons for $31. For the last year or so that would have been anywhere from $55 to over $70.
It must have been some Thanksgiving special or promotion, but I never saw it advertised in any way? I guess it's just a gift to those who happened to be out?
There was no insane line or anything either, just normal looking day.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:30 PM   #2
Louisvillekytruck

Re: I honestly thought it was a mistake

Good deal
Louisvillekytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:44 PM   #3
Warrens69GMC

Yes, been on the news. No station near though.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:37 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I didn't realize Sheetz had spread itself all the way to Ohio. They are never the cheap place for gas, but they are a great convenience store. That price is unreal for today. I haven't been by any Sheetz storez to see if the pricez were dropped around here. My town is just outside their area, but only because there isn't a good location I assume. They have a couple regional competitors and none have stores in my town which is a hub for Central MD. Sheetz came along and up'd the ante in the convenience store game and the other two followed suit. They put 7-11 to shame

* If you are familiar with Sheetz you'll know they play on that z in their name at any chance

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:50 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

If I sent you a 55 gallon drum and you filled it and sent it back, I might still be money ahead.

Well, maybe not quite, but it sometimes feels like it.....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:01 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

My Suburban is ready for fuel, 41 gallon tank. Had I know and if it was all Sheetz it would have been worth a 20 mile round trip for a fill-up

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 11-25-2022, 06:21 AM   #7
LONGHAIR

Sheetz has only been here for a year or so. They did some strange advertising for several months before any of them opened though. Really short radio ads that would say "Because you asked, Sheetz is coming" or billboard ads with just a "Sheetz is coming" with the rest blank. For people like me, who had never heard of them, it meant nothing.
Their gas prices are generally comparable to the rest, within a few cents, one way or the other. The difference is the 88 octane stuff, they are the only ones promoting it around here. It is usually at least 30 cents cheaper and I have not seen a mileage drop that is more than .1-.2 MPG.
There are several around town as of now. Three are very easy for me, in my normal travels. Strangely enough, I haven't been inside of one yet, gas only. I'm not much of a convenience store person though. I don't buy coffee, smokes, lottery tickets, etc. so short of a road trip, where I might need a restroom, not much need.

Quote:
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:20 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Sheetz brought the rest room to convenience stores. Often I just slip in for that. They are never high on gas, just not the cheapest. They also brought decent made to order food. I rarely eat fast food but this is more like a sandwich shop. It's quick and easy and good, so I'll drop in for food when traveling when I have to have something. They are along my way to my mom's in western MD and my sister's in the Shenandoah Valley.

I stopped using convenience store way way back when. You pay for the convenience and there is nothing of quality. Mostly salt and sugar products. It's the hi-carb store . Sheetz is a bit more than that.

Out of Baltimore we have Royal Farm Stores. They were always better than 7-11 and now are chasing down Sheetz's model, it seems. They are certainly on a charge putting up new stores all over the place. The same thing as CVS/Rite Aid/Walgreens or Home Depot/Lowe's, on across the way from the other. They both have massive fuel isles.

Tim

Old 11-25-2022, 10:26 AM   #9
72c20customcamper

If your car can run it it’s a good deal . The 88 is 15% ethanol most manufacturers don’t recommend it’s use .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 11:57 AM   #10
Sheepdip

I'm surprised they did not have a traffic jam lined up for blocks.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 12:10 PM   #11
joedoh

my brother called me about his cheap tank of gas, i guess they do this every year.

i grew up sw pa and they were a staple with their BFD (big fountain drink) and 2 for 99 hot dogs. i think they have gone up a penny since then

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 05:42 PM   #12
LONGHAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
If your car can run it it’s a good deal . The 88 is 15% ethanol most manufacturers don’t recommend it’s use .
"They say" anything newer than '01 is ok. I have been alternating it with regular every other fill-up. It seems to run exactly the same and the mileage doesn't change enough to notice.

Quote: