The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2022, 04:50 PM   #1
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Removing Stumps

1 down 2 to go. Smaller ones are 3 years old and Rotted, there not coming out to bad. That 3rd Big one is only a year old and twice the size. Maybe next year for that one. Bad part is doing it by hand, can’t get anything up there
Attached Images

2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:41 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Removing Stumps

If you just need it below ground level, here's how I do mine: I dig around the stump 5 or 6 inches below ground level. Then I use the tip of the chainsaw to cut crossing lines about an inch or so apart. I use a sledgehammer to break out the squares. That leaves the stump below ground level and I just cover it with dirt.

Now, if you're planning on plowing or anything like that, leaving the stump buried doesn't work.
Old 07-02-2022, 07:17 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

It depends on the size of the stump of course, but I removed a few weed trees along the fence line in my back yard a few of summers ago. Cutting and digging in mostly the traditional way, axe, hatchet, shovel, etc. Then when it came to removing the stumps, I broke out the secret weapon. Believe it or not, an engine hoist works great. I happen to have a cheapie Harbor Freight folding model. It was for a project from years ago, just hanging out waiting for its next job. It did a fantastic job, by allowing me to keep some upward pressure in the stump and still work around the base. I did need to cut a few more roots, so the pressure helped a lot. I could see/feel the thing pop/jump when I cut the right ones. Jack it up some more and repeat. My neighbors on both sides and some random dude walking down the alley all stopped in at different times to comment about how smart that was, had never seen that done before. It made those years of it doing nothing worth holding onto it.
I have shared this idea with a coworker in the same predicament and it worked for him too. He borrowed one from a neighbor who thought it was a genius idea too.
Of course, if the stump is wider than the splay of the legs, it's probably not much help. If it's that big, you might need a pro with a stump grinder anyway.
All are welcome to this idea, but don't claim it as your own, give me credit (Even though no one will ever have a clue who that is...lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:40 PM   #4
72c20customcamper

I’ve burned them before when I couldn’t get a machine to them . But I’m guessing that isn’t an option for you
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:49 PM   #5
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
It depends on the size of the stump of course, but I removed a few weed trees along the fence line in my back yard a few of summers ago. Cutting and digging in mostly the traditional way, axe, hatchet, shovel, etc. Then when it came to removing the stumps, I broke out the secret weapon. Believe it or not, an engine hoist works great. I happen to have a cheapie Harbor Freight folding model. It was for a project from years ago, just hanging out waiting for its next job. It did a fantastic job, by allowing me to keep some upward pressure in the stump and still work around the base. I did need to cut a few more roots, so the pressure helped a lot. I could see/feel the thing pop/jump when I cut the right ones. Jack it up some more and repeat. My neighbors on both sides and some random dude walking down the alley all stopped in at different times to comment about how smart that was, had never seen that done before. It made those years of it doing nothing worth holding onto it.
I have shared this idea with a coworker in the same predicament and it worked for him too. He borrowed one from a neighbor who thought it was a genius idea too.
Of course, if the stump is wider than the splay of the legs, it's probably not much help. If it's that big, you might need a pro with a stump grinder anyway.
All are welcome to this idea, but don't claim it as your own, give me credit (Even though no one will ever have a clue who that is...lol)
This would be Great, but no way to get it up on the hill
Pittsburg Ca
Old 07-02-2022, 10:55 PM   #6
Warrens69GMC

Stump remover
Attached Images

Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:37 PM   #7
joedoh

drill a bunch holes in it with a cordless drill and a 1" wood bit and fill it with some kind of cooking oil, vegetable or whatever. keep filling the holes with oil a few days, then knock some of the holes together to make a rough bowl and put a bag of charcoal in it, just the cheap stuff. douse that with some more oil and light it.

go back every day and if it burnt out do it again, if its still burning heap more charcoal on it.

the oil carries the heat through the roots and makes it all just turn to ash.

i told my neighbor about this and he was miserly with his charcoal briquets, he dismissed the idea. you cant do that. a bag at a time is the right way. maybe 30 bucks all in with 4-5 bags of cheap charcoal and almost no work. make a day of it and take a hibachi grate and a couple packs of hot dogs.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:23 AM   #8
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
drill a bunch holes in it with a cordless drill and a 1" wood bit and fill it with some kind of cooking oil, vegetable or whatever. keep filling the holes with oil a few days, then knock some of the holes together to make a rough bowl and put a bag of charcoal in it, just the cheap stuff. douse that with some more oil and light it.

go back every day and if it burnt out do it again, if its still burning heap more charcoal on it.

the oil carries the heat through the roots and makes it all just turn to ash.

i told my neighbor about this and he was miserly with his charcoal briquets, he dismissed the idea. you cant do that. a bag at a time is the right way. maybe 30 bucks all in with 4-5 bags of cheap charcoal and almost no work. make a day of it and take a hibachi grate and a couple packs of hot dogs.
Not sure if you noticed the 1/4 acre of dry grass behind it, plus we get real high winds during summer. The two don’t mix, thanks anyway
Pittsburg Ca
Old 07-03-2022, 01:09 AM   #9
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 CST Short Wide View Post
Not sure if you noticed the 1/4 acre of dry grass behind it, plus we get real high winds during summer. The two don’t mix, thanks anyway
Same here. High winds and dry brush. Fires are a BIG no no. Or at least be super careful with them.

I was at the campground and a guy had dumped his charcoal ashes in the dumpster and it caught on fire. Fortunately the dumpster contained the fire because it was really going strong for a while.

The guy that dumped the ashes came forward and said that he thought for sure that those ashes were out. They had sat overnight. He didn't mean any harm. But he sure cooked that dumpster.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:00 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

So far here I have just let stumps rot. The other way would be cut them high and push with loader. I have dug around roots before to saw it out on smaller trees. The big ones I let nature take away. I'll just plunge cut a bunch of slots in the top using a crappy old chain I keep for such things. If I need the stump gone now to complete other work I'll hire a tree service with stump grinder. I have two rotting now I considered hiring a stump grinder for, then decided to live with them until they rot. One is maple, the other cherry. To me, for all the time and hard labor and so many others things I need to get done, this is a thing worth paying for so I can be catching up elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
Same here. High winds and dry brush. Fires are a BIG no no. Or at least be super careful with them.

I was at the campground and a guy had dumped his charcoal ashes in the dumpster and it caught on fire. Fortunately the dumpster contained the fire because it was really going strong for a while.

The guy that dumped the ashes came forward and said that he thought for sure that those ashes were out. They had sat overnight. He didn't mean any harm. But he sure cooked that dumpster.
They sat overnight, but this adult has made it this far not knowing you have to stir and spread? That the ash insulates the heat and it's still as hot at the bottom just waiting for oxygen? Yeah, the oxygen came when he poured them into the dumpster, duh. My stepson, at about 10 years old, started a fire by dumping the ash bucket behind a shed I used to have. Leaves caught and we had a fast little flash fire under and around the shed, VFD and all. I was at work. My wife had him all worried about what his mean old man was going to do when he got home. I just told him "Now you know what not to do", and explained how hot ashes work. He said his grandmother taught him to stick your hand in to check before dumping. What??? I told him forget he ever heard that! Stir with a stick!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 07-03-2022 at 10:04 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:59 AM   #11
yuccales

OP, probably won't work for you but thought it was pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq_Gb46eXr4
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:19 AM   #12
67C10Step

I’ve dug them out by hand if around 8” and under. Above that it’s been a variety of small track hoe, fire (no go for CA residents) and the last tdm or so were all 24” plus so they got the grinder.
Most of this stump killer/rot enhancers are potassium nitrate. If you can get your hands on that in a 40-50 lb bag it will be more cost effective.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:22 AM   #13
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

I got tired of digging them out and came across a deal on a grinder attachment for my bobcat. Has paid for itself many times over.

Attached Images

Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:23 AM   #14
LONGHAIR

This isn't even close to wild-fire country, but if you did that around here the fire department and the police would be so far up your.....
It's a total no-no. Funny thing is that years ago, when I was a kid, my granny had a 55 gal drum out back for burning trash.
I have no idea when the city actually started with trash collection, be she lived in this same house well before it. Burning has been out for decades.

Richard, I'm willing to be that the Bobcat is a less than 1%er solution...lol

Quote:
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:30 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Does carbonized wood rot faster or slower. I've never seen burning eliminate a stump, only reduce it some and leave a charred stump. I always thought charred wood was better preserved than encouraging rot. I could be wrong.

Yeah, we aren't supposed to burn open fires in MD either. I think permits are issued for certain instances. On site work they grind the brush piles anymore

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:49 AM   #16
Getter-Done

Several years ago, I put a salt block on top of one of the stumps I was trying to get rid of.
It was nowhere near as big as your stump.

Well the salt dissolved around the stump with the help of the rain.

Then the deer pawed the stump out of the ground trying to get to the salt.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:28 AM   #17
kwmech

With the acreage I have I've done a few different ways. First if it is in an area where it doesn't matter I just cut it flush to the ground and draw some slices in the top with my chain saw and throw some dirt on it. Second is starting a burn pile on top of it after I've dug a hollow around the perimeter. Third is just digging it up with my mini-ex if I'm expanding the yard or garden. Most of the time it just gets left there and cut so I don't trip over it
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 02:23 PM   #18
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Quote:
This isn't even close to wild-fire country, but if you did that around here the fire department and the police would be so far up your.....
It's a total no-no. Funny thing is that years ago, when I was a kid, my granny had a 55 gal drum out back for burning trash.
I have no idea when the city actually started with trash collection, be she lived in this same house well before it. Burning has been out for decades.

Richard, I'm willing to be that the Bobcat is a less than 1%er solution...lol
When I was a Kid in Concord Ca. We had a burn barrel in the back yard. It was my job to burn the trash, That was mid 60s. Don’t recall when garbage collection started
Pittsburg Ca
Old 07-03-2022, 04:43 PM   #19
67C10Step

I got yet another burn pile in my back yard right now. Way too dry to burn tough so it may lay around until fall. When I bought this place the precious owner had cut down multiple large pines and cut them in 3-4 foot lengths. It had laid around long enough for the bark to fall off and was, no kidding, an 18 wheeler load of wood.
I started cutting, piling, burning, and drinking beer. I’d start a fire Friday afternoon and burn until Sunday. Told my wife I though cirrhosis of the liver would get me before I got that all burned. Took me a few months but I got it cleaned up.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:44 PM   #20
LONGHAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
Several years ago, I put a salt block on top of one of the stumps I was trying to get rid of.
It was nowhere near as big as your stump.

Well the salt dissolved around the stump with the help of the rain.

Then the deer pawed the stump out of the ground trying to get to the salt.
Most folks would call that "the law of unintended consequences", but it doesn't sound like a problem for you.

As deep in the city as I am, no deer around here for decades. Directly across he street from me used to be a horse stable and riding area, surrounded by acres of woods. That was sold off and developed into a whole neighborhood of houses, starting in the 1950s. My dad growing up here through that time has given me way more insight into this area than most people could ever know.
Surprisingly enough though, we do have a lot more skunks than you would think? I guess they live under sheds, garages, etc?

Quote:

Old 07-03-2022, 06:49 PM   #21
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
we do have a lot more skunks than you would think? I guess they live under sheds, garages, etc?
Skunks, rats, and mice.

I don't care where you live you're gonna get em. They don't look at zip codes.

Surprisingly enough they do still have certain days when you can burn trash here. Something like once a month. I think it's nuts but they do it. I've never done it so I don't know if you need a permit. And it's only on a certain day. I suppose it's some leftover relic from the old days. I still think it's crazy but I can't recall any of the trash fires ever getting out of control so I guess they know what they're doing.

My neighbor does it and it still freaks me out when I see smoke.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 07-03-2022, 08:10 PM   #22
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

We moved to the Santa Clarita Valley in the mid-'50s. There was no such thing as vegetation in the area that had been scraped out of the desert playa, except for those **** goat head stickers and the occasional tumble weed. We incinerated what was combustible and put the garbage in a 5 gallon galvanized bucket. That, the garbage man picked up. Maggot city, I'll tell you! Eventually a company formed up and took over trash collection. The incinerators were no longer used.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:38 AM   #23
joedoh

i just put a burn barrel ring around the stump and a fire pit spark arrestor on top, the only open flame is before the charcoal is ashed over and if you stay up on it its never open flame again, just keep charcoal on it. the oil carries the heat through the roots and you end up with a pile of ash, no charcoal. this was the mistake my neighbor made too. he would only cook it a little at a time, an hour or two a day. gotta put a whole bag on it at first and keep it smoldering for a couple days adding half a bag every 12 hours or so. its almost no work at all except dumping things on it and I gues sthe original drilling with the wood paddle bit.

I get the fire concerns but its more a charcoal grille type arrangement than a bonfire.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:48 AM   #24
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I have some stumps at my place. I have found an easy solution. Just ignore them. Pretend they're not there. It works great. It works on peeling paint too.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 07-04-2022, 10:24 AM   #25
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

An old tree trimmer told me to do this. Drill a bunch of holes with a large bit and then fill the holes with buttermilk. cover with some type of plastic for about six months. the acid in the buttermilk somehow sets up a reaction. sounds crazy- but it worked.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote