The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2021, 02:36 PM   #1
Breadstick

bumper paint

My 72 C20 has black bumpers and I want to paint them off-white. I'm going to get an abrasive wheel to get the paint off, then prime and paint them. What is a good rattle can paint that would be good for this and hold up for a couple years?
Breadstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:00 PM   #2
Roostre

Re: bumper paint

I don't know about longevity, but I used Rust-oleum Painter's Touch 2X to paint my trim pieces on my grille and plan to use the same on my bumper. I like the paint because it goes on well and covers nicely. I'm toying with the idea of coming back with a clear coat to help with longevity and rock chips.

You can see the paint info and process I used in my thread shown in my signature.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:44 PM   #3
Caddylackn

I like that appliance epoxy spray paint they sell at Lowe's and Home Depot. It seems tougher and lays down a little flatter. Only a few colors available though.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:30 PM   #4
custom10nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddylackn View Post
I like that appliance epoxy spray paint they sell at Lowe's and Home Depot. It seems tougher and lays down a little flatter. Only a few colors available though.
I’ll second that statement
I repainted my bumpers with the “Appliance Epoxy” about four years ago.
The look real good and the Epoxy finish is pretty durable.
I’m going to redo them again when I disassemble the bed to put the new bed wood in.
Why Redo them? Because I took a shortcut with the prep work and now surface rust has broke through on the edges.
When I redo them, I’m going to strip them to bare metal, then prime them with “Self Etching” Primer, once I build it up and Sand them smooth, I’ll shoot them again with the Epoxy White.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote