The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2021, 08:49 AM   #26
Joyridin

Re: Blazer Tank for EFI - LS3 Setup ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Obviously I disagree. Sorry, that article does nothing for me. A pump running full tilt all the time creates more heat. Heat will be transferred to the fuel.
Unless you are running a heat exchanger (cooler) in the fuel line the fuel will continually warm up. Article actually states some positives that I said as well.
A pwm fuel pump will maintain constant pressure while providing the amount of fuel the motor needs. It is more energy efficient and runs at a lower speed most of the time creating less heat.
The main reason the pwm style fuel systems are not sold and adopted by the big names is loss of sales. Aftermarket does not make pwm pumps and you only need a controller, factory pump and one fuel line.
If you go the standard way they can sell you a pump, regulator, more fuel line and fittings + a filter.
Just trying to show there are other options.
Actually, you are incorrect. A pump that is varying speed will create a lot more heat than one that is constantly run. Electric motors are basically designed to run at a specific RPM. Changing that RPM by varying the voltage creates heat.

The PMW system was designed for emissions plain and simple. Really, all you need is a pump, a Corvette filter mounted near the tank, and a few lines. That is close to half the price of a PMW set-up and has worked flawlessly for years on thousands of LS and now LT transplanted vehicles.

I have nothing against a PMW, especially on the radiator fan. They work great, but don't tell everybody it is cheaper and works better when it clearly does not, especially when you are going beyond stock.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:15 AM   #27
Richard

Re: Blazer Tank for EFI - LS3 Setup ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
Actually, you are incorrect. A pump that is varying speed will create a lot more heat than one that is constantly run. Electric motors are basically designed to run at a specific RPM. Changing that RPM by varying the voltage creates heat.

The PMW system was designed for emissions plain and simple. Really, all you need is a pump, a Corvette filter mounted near the tank, and a few lines. That is close to half the price of a PMW set-up and has worked flawlessly for years on thousands of LS and now LT transplanted vehicles.

I have nothing against a PMW, especially on the radiator fan. They work great, but don't tell everybody it is cheaper and works better when it clearly does not, especially when you are going beyond stock.
I do not think I ever said it was cheaper. Infact there is a post in this thread by the OP 6600DURAMAX asking why I said it costs more. He outlined the costs and they are close. I always welcome input, that is what forums are for. While not an electrical engineer my experience with variable speed dc motors comes from my many years of work in the hvac industry working with pwm dc motors and vfd drives on ac motors. Please understand a pwm type system does not vary the voltage to change the speed. The voltage never changes. Basically the power is turned on and off real fast to achieve the desired rpm. Amperage drops with rpm unlike a variable voltage system. All the new brushless battery tools use this or similar technology along with the rc cars. It is much more efficient than a variable resistor which just lowers voltage and creates heat. I can say that operating costs on a variable speed dc motor in a furnace are almost 5 times lower over a traditional multi speed electric motor.
My understanding is that the ZL1 pump will handle up to 650 whp. The CTSV pump will do 800 and dual CTSV can do 1000. Thanks for your input.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote