The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2021, 09:26 AM   #1
MDFarms

The nightmare of thinking about drilling trim on build ideas

This thread is thought after reading ACCELO thread " I DID THE TRIM AND THE TRIM WON"

This may be a thread for paint and body but I dont think that topic gets the traffic we see here so I thought I would post it here.

I'm not a paint or body guy, but have one of the best painters in my area doing my painting but want to have answers if he ask me on trim location or good ideas from those of you on here have learned while doing this install. Anyone know if GM had a "Measurement" for the center color height front to rear (EXAMPLE: 23" Center paint height)

HERE IS MY THOUGHTS AND PLEASE STOP ME IF I'M OVER THINKING AND WORRYING! THESE JIGS ARE ONLY MADE TO GIVE ME A START POINT & DOUBLE CHECK MY MEASUREMENTS.

I know many of you have probably done tons of these but for those of us who have not I'm sure this is a worry for eveyone one of us. So please if anyone in Michigan thats a pro for laying out trim I would hire you to come lay mine out and drill holes for my trim........ Just throwing it out there.

When doing the trim do you drill before any paint and use those lines for your paint down center on top and bottom? Do you paint center then drill along your paint lines for the trim because its covered then paint your top/bottom color)? Anyone ever use a chalk line for center or laser?

I'm open to any good threads that people can point me to on the site. Its hard to believe with technology you would think there would be good stickable templates to mark holes exactly. Kinda like the peel back protective film over top of decal kits. Something that you line up on top box edge and bring over side of bed and squeegy down in place with hole locations. It would protect drilling surface and two would peel off easily when finished. Or magenetic strips same size of trim with hole locations that lay out easily down sides of truck. Simply lay them down sides and drill through the pre-drilled holes on magnetic strips line up your measurments for fit. This would allow you to peel back on/off and make adjustments until they are straight down sides of truck and then drill.

I have been worrying about this so much I decided to make some jigs from my 1972 Factory trim truck for laying across bed for height of upper moulding for reference points, then I was thinking something through doors with windows down and one that bolts across radiator support for front fender. I would then take detailed notes and measurments down from upper trim to top of lower trim for drilling locations.

So far I have only did the box, Does anyone see any issues with going through doors for the door trim with my jigs? OR DO I NEED TO STOP OVER THINKING IT AND JUST WING IT?
Attached Images

Last edited by MDFarms; 10-31-2021 at 09:52 AM.
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 10:01 AM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: The nightmare of thinking about drilling trim on build ideas

Leave it to your paint and body guy , It's what your paying him for .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
Accelo

You are way ahead if you can install the trim before painting. However, many of the clips pull so hard there is a chance of damaging the aluminum trim if you install all the clips. I would leave them out till the final install. That said, if they are the expanding style clips, I would still drill the holes and position the clips, in the trim, Just not snap them in. All the bolt and screw on pieces could be installed. Even if it's just the screws on the ends. You will make quick work of the install after paint that way. Any issued can be dealt with easier and the painters will have a line to go to. For hole alignment, I just stuck the tape on one end and pulled it tight and stuck the other side for my line. I did verify it didn't sag in the middle, on the long runs, just to be sure.

This is one of the best trim videos I have found. Most of them seem to be pretty lame or are just selling parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JQYAEa0OGw

Your budget may dictate if you do the trim holes. In my area it's a minimum of $85 and hour and goes up from there. If you are using reproductions will add $ to the install cost. If you pay for the install my hope is they are much faster than I was at it. LOL.
Some of my issues stem from using reproduction body panels. Looks like you have a nice original truck there. That will help you more than you think. As issues always arise from after-market parts. For instance, one tail-light went right in. The other side would not bolt up to the holes in the back of the light. I had to move the holes to make it work.

Last edited by Accelo; 10-31-2021 at 12:02 PM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:53 PM   #4
LS short box

Here's what I did when I installed the trim on my 68. Mine was a complete frame off build.
After paint I put the cab, doors and front sheet metal on and got the gaps where I liked them. Then put the box on and shimmed to match the cab and box body lines.
Then I went to work on the trim. Mine went around the wheel wells so that's were I started. Taped them in place and then added the door and box pieces all taped in place. Then I took a pencil and marked the the sides of the box and cab/fenders on the bottom side of the trim. I eye balled the trim to get it perfect. Then I removed the trim measured to the center of the trim and drilled the required holes.
If your box and cab are where they will live after paint I would make some measurements and pics for future reference. A bit scary drilling into new paint but take your time and don't over think it. Good luck.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:10 PM   #5
MDFarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Leave it to your paint and body guy , It's what your paying him for .
I'm paying my body guy to do body work which is really not anything as the truck cab is already in primer and been sanded out, the rest of body is excellent. His attention to detail with the paint, the vehicle prep and workmanship is excellent.

The reason I'm studying everything is he probably has not worked on a truck like this in last 30 years or longer or ever. He didnt ask to do this for me I ask him becuase I know his work. If he has questions and I have answers we can work together more efficienlty. If he has a question and I dont know answer then its on me to find out because thats my responsibility to have the right answers when needed. I want to keep things moving smoothly.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:16 PM   #6
MDFarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
You are way ahead if you can install the trim before painting. However, many of the clips pull so hard there is a chance of damaging the aluminum trim if you install all the clips. I would leave them out till the final install. That said, if they are the expanding style clips, I would still drill the holes and position the clips, in the trim, Just not snap them in. All the bolt and screw on pieces could be installed. Even if it's just the screws on the ends. You will make quick work of the install after paint that way. Any issued can be dealt with easier and the painters will have a line to go to. For hole alignment, I just stuck the tape on one end and pulled it tight and stuck the other side for my line. I did verify it didn't sag in the middle, on the long runs, just to be sure.

This is one of the best trim videos I have found. Most of them seem to be pretty lame or are just selling parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JQYAEa0OGw

Your budget may dictate if you do the trim holes. In my area it's a minimum of $85 and hour and goes up from there. If you are using reproductions will add $ to the install cost. If you pay for the install my hope is they are much faster than I was at it. LOL.
Some of my issues stem from using reproduction body panels. Looks like you have a nice original truck there. That will help you more than you think. As issues always arise from after-market parts. For instance, one tail-light went right in. The other side would not bolt up to the holes in the back of the light. I had to move the holes to make it work.
I did buy NOS lower trim and hoping to do same for upper although I dont think its as critical and have heard nothing but good things from Mar-K on their upper trim.

I do have NOS Tailight trim pieces as well coming and trying to find NOS tailgate Trim. I may have to purchase a complete box package from a aftermarket source. Looking for any suggestions from thise who have bought them in Past. Dave from RustBelt Restorations has been a great source of good information so far.

So far Thanks for the replies and will check out video above.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:32 PM   #7
MDFarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Here's what I did when I installed the trim on my 68. Mine was a complete frame off build.
After paint I put the cab, doors and front sheet metal on and got the gaps where I liked them. Then put the box on and shimmed to match the cab and box body lines.
Then I went to work on the trim. Mine went around the wheel wells so that's were I started. Taped them in place and then added the door and box pieces all taped in place. Then I took a pencil and marked the the sides of the box and cab/fenders on the bottom side of the trim. I eye balled the trim to get it perfect. Then I removed the trim measured to the center of the trim and drilled the required holes.
If your box and cab are where they will live after paint I would make some measurements and pics for future reference. A bit scary drilling into new paint but take your time and don't over think it. Good luck.
Thanks for response! my plan is to fit all parts before paint on truck, mark all trim and disassemble for paint. I really wanted to paint after holes drilled to seal but realize it will no doubt remove paint in holes anyway.
Old 10-31-2021, 06:00 PM   #8
Accelo

I painted the circumference of every hole after I drilled. it. Whenever possible, I do recommend installing the trim first. In my situation it just wasn't feasible. One really has to have the truck assembled to install the trim correctly. For-instance, you could install the tailgate trim but couldn't be sure it lined up with the tail-light unless it was assembled to the bed. Trim can be installed either way. A mistake is just more costly after painting. Just don't make any that the trim doesn't cover.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote