The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
JWT1969

1970 C20- 350 Carb Rebuild

Hey everyone,

New member to the forum here. I just recently got a big time project truck, my uncles old 1970 C20. I am learning as I go with this one, so Please forgive any ignorance... But A buddy told me a good next step is rebuilding the Carb... I have found rebuild kits online for anywhere from 40-80$. Just wondering if anyone ghas any advice for someone who has never rebuilt a carb? Is it worth it for me to do it? How difficult is it?

Thanks for Any Help!
JWT1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:57 PM   #2
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Re: 1970 C20- 350 Carb Rebuild

What kind of carb?

Most are fairly easy to rebuild, but some have gotchas and things to look out for that may not be covered in a rebuild kit. Some, like Q-Jet, I'd rather not do myself, I don't feel I have the right touch for those. Depending on your skill level and quality of the kit, it's hard to tell you what to expect. Last time I rebuilt a carb, it went surprisingly well and it was rewarding hearing that 55 year old engine start up and run like new. Still starts on the second crank to this day, even after sitting for 6 months. Not all carbs are the same. Some carbs take more patience to rebuild, some take more patience to tune after the fact. Some carbs can get plain worn out or damaged and become difficult to rebuild. Tell us what kind you have.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:45 PM   #3
cadillac_al

I usually don't rebuild them until there is a real running problem or the gaskets are weeping. I suppose after 45 years, if it hasn't been rebuilt yet it should be due anyway. A lot of carbs got rebuilt due to bad points and condenser so maybe your uncles got rebuilt at some time.

This site was recommended to me recently and I think I am going to get one of their kits in the next week or so.

http://quadrajetparts.com/quadrajet-...-c-128_33.html

I think they have illustrated instructions there somewhere.

Cliff Ruggles has excellent kits too. A little more money but maybe more complete. I need to double check myself this week.

I have been on carb detail this week and rebuilt a couple Qjets with cheap ass Jet kits with gaskets that are not reuseable even after 15 minutes. The other day I went to the bench and looked at a clean disassembled carb with all the parts around it and I thought to myself, "I can't believe I used to think these things were complicated." I was very intimidated to touch them in my younger days. I still managed to forget a part here and there while learning but it is pretty hard to mess them up if you are sober.

With all the articles on the internet with good pics it shouldn't be hard to get it rebuilt. It can start to get involved if you want to take on worn throttle bushings. I usually skip that part because I have seen my old vehicles run pretty well with worn bushings so I don't stress over it. A lot of the aftermarket rebuilt Qjets are hacked together with many mis matched parts and generic jetting so it is always better to rebuild your own virgin carb if possible.

I would give it new points and condenser and plugs first. Good luck. I almost bought a 70 once but the guy backed out. I almost started begging because I liked it so much at the time.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Depending on which carb you have (a pic helps) there's a lot of good info on the net and a lot of members here are very knowledgeable and have rebuilt carbs before. Do a lot of reading and view youtube videos before tearing into it.

First thing is to look up the type of carb you have. If it hasn't be changed, most of these trucks came with the Quadrajet. There should be a number stamped on the carb that will show the model. It's usually covered with grime so you may have to do some wiping.

Another thing you may have to fix is the leaking "well plugs" problem on the qjets if they haven't been repaired before. They cause hard starting and flooding.

If it's a qjet model number should be where pic shows:
Attached Images

I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
GSP7

More Quadrajet info

Pinstriping-Lettering-Specialty Painting
GSP7 is offline   Reply With Quote